Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey rear slide, again

Coach serviced at FCCC service center in Gaffney yesterday. They finished right at closing time and when we went to get in the rig, the rear slide would not retract. Everyone had left but one fellow and he did come out and poke around the hydraulic system...check all the inline fuses and basically said they did not extend or retract the slide and nothing they worked on should have affected the slide mechanics/electrical.

Front slide and jacks work fine. Motor does not run when I use the rear slide switch so I am thinking solenoid or perhaps the control board/s. My black bag with all the manuals is in a compartment I cannot get to without extending that slide . I plan to attempt a manual extension by opening the valves on the solenoids (DW wants the new stuff she bought while shopping in Myrtle Beach ).

Just wondering if anyone else has had same issue and might have some suggestions.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 journey and had the same thing happen with the bed room slide. I took it to an rv dealer and they couldn't find anything. But, I noticed that when they were showing me that the slide worked they turned the ignition key on while operating the slide. So not sure if that was it. I usually have the engine or genset on while operating the slides.
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Rear Journey slide

Gary...This worked on a friend of mine....while pressing the contrl switch on the rear slide have someone press the front control switch to retract also....I don't know why but it worked on a 2002 journey....good luck...Bob (RKL)
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rear Journeyslide...

Gary....also try pulling out the rear switch and manually touch the two wires together or jump the contcts...Bob (RKL)
Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL2 View Post
Gary....also try pulling out the rear switch and manually touch the two wires together or jump the contcts...Bob (RKL)
Switch has 6 wires...not sure which control extend vs. retract. I may swap the front slide switch to see if it might be a bad switch.

I also run the engine when I operate the slides and this does not help with the current problem.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem on mine and it turned out to be a driver relay on the logic board. HWH has an excellent diagnostic page on their website and enough LEDS on the board to tell exactly whats happening. I did a post here about this awhile back but who knows where it is now.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

smlranger....

I once had work done at Freightliner in Tolleson. After I left, we went to campground in Tucson, got set up and when we tried to extend the slides, they would not do anything. After we came back from dinner, I remembered the tech did some work under the steering wheel (inside the motorhome) and I examined the area and found that several plugs and their mating sockets were not attached. (wire bundles into the plugs) After remating them, the slides worked again.

On the subject of the rear slide activating switch, once it remained on and the pump motor kept running. Re-pressing the switch cured that problem. Could be you could persist pressing the switch; couldn't hurt and might help.

Wendell
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I had the same problem on mine and it turned out to be a driver relay on the logic board. HWH has an excellent diagnostic page on their website and enough LEDS on the board to tell exactly whats happening. I did a post here about this awhile back but who knows where it is now.
I checked HWH website but did not see any diagnostic info on the site. I will check again. Is the logic board under the HWH control panel or under the entry step?

I also have a rectangular box with HWH on it entangled in the maze of wires under the dash.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Try http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml35669.pdf
(Gee, now I can't re-title a link?)

My control box is located under the coach on the passenger side in front of the door.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Try http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml35669.pdf
(Gee, now I can't re-title a link?)

My control box is located under the coach on the passenger side in front of the door.

Thanks for the link. I believe some have indicated on my era rig the control box is under one of the entry steps. I will be investigating.

I did download the service manual from the HWH site. This is obviously a very complicated system and I suspect if the problem is not easy to detect, I will be trying to find a qualified repair shop in my area.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks for the link. I believe some have indicated on my era rig the control box is under one of the entry steps. I will be investigating.

I did download the service manual from the HWH site. This is obviously a very complicated system and I suspect if the problem is not easy to detect, I will be trying to find a qualified repair shop in my area.
I found my original post on this but its pretty hacked up by this new forum software. The other thing I can't seem to do here anymore is post a picture with clickable descriptor rather than posting raw link..

So, the link below is a picture of the control board with the driver relay that controls the rear slide.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...f/DSCN5899.jpg

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I found my original post on this but its pretty hacked up by this new forum software. The other thing I can't seem to do here anymore is post a picture with clickable descriptor rather than posting raw link..

So, the link below is a picture of the control board with the driver relay that controls the rear slide.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...f/DSCN5899.jpg
Thanks, again, Jeff. Is that board enclosed in a rectangular box with cables at each end and some fuses on one end? If so, that is the box that is velcroed to the firewall on my rig. Access to it will be very difficult.

Using the HWH service manual, I have determined that I have no 12V power to the #1 pin on the rear slide switch. I am hoping I can jump 12V to that pin temporarily so I can fully extend then retract the slide.

I have looked everywhere on the rig (including under the entry steps) and under the coach, and find no other box or enclosure that seems connected to the HWH system.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

If it's the HWH 625 system it's a box around 9x11", and about 3" deep. As mentioned mine is mounted under the coach with a clear plexiglass front. In this box all of the connectors come out the rear, and there are at least 4 multi-pin connectors plugged into it.. As I think about it, it's mounted directly in front of the valves and pump assembly.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 05-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

My system and probably Gary's too is the 325 model. However, the only difference is the 325 is manual leveling and the 625 is auto. Don't think they put the 625 in Journeys till '05 or '06.

My control box is just as Jeff described. Take the nut off that's under the lip of the top step. Lift up the step and you should be looking down on the solenoids, tank, and pump. Just forward of that is the back of the control box. You can see the plexiglas front of the box from under the front "hood" - look down low and to the left.

Check that all the solenoid harnesses are solidly plugged into the control box. Early on, the harness for my main slide retract solenoid was a bit short and one wire would pull out of the plug. Drove me crazy till I found it and spliced in a couple inches of wire.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Well, I found the problem and all is well. It was a loose 9 pin connector at the pump...I think it is the main harness connector. The wires are a bit short and one side of the connector was not completely together.

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I do not have any plexiglass-covered box under the top step or anywhere under the coach or near the pump assembly (my pump, manifold and solenoids are under the LR slide..driver's side). The HWH box attached to the inside of the firewall has no plexiglass cover. For future reference, I have sent a message to Byran Funke at Winnebago for help locating the gizmo.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

journey rear slide again

Gary...glad you found the problem and shared where it was for our reference files....My HWH set up is exactly the same as your.s...Replaced my water heater check valve today (outflow one in the plumbing compartment) and the Freightliner starting batteries after almost 9 years. No problems with the old batts but trying to be proactive...Still have the original coach batteries going strong..Next step next fall on the way to Florida is belts and hoses..(60,000 miles). thanks for sharing the info Bob (RL)
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear this, Gary. Hope you get some answers.

We had a 'glitch' too as we drove off! The air dryer (?) hose came loose. Scared the beejeebers outta me as I drove off. Good thing I missed the turnoff for the interstate! They did find it and fixed it.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRT2 View Post
Sorry to hear this, Gary. Hope you get some answers.

We had a 'glitch' too as we drove off! The air dryer (?) hose came loose. Scared the beejeebers outta me as I drove off. Good thing I missed the turnoff for the interstate! They did find it and fixed it.

We saw you guys coming back and understand you had some issue. Glad they got it fixed. Even thought they were closed, one of the mechanics came out and tried to fix our slide issue. He did check connectors and fuses at the pump but apparently did not see the loose connector. So, I got to sleep that night with the wardrobe in my face
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL2 View Post
Gary...glad you found the problem and shared where it was for our reference files....My HWH set up is exactly the same as your.s...Replaced my water heater check valve today (outflow one in the plumbing compartment) and the Freightliner starting batteries after almost 9 years. No problems with the old batts but trying to be proactive...Still have the original coach batteries going strong..Next step next fall on the way to Florida is belts and hoses..(60,000 miles). thanks for sharing the info Bob (RL)

Bob, I'm also heavily into the PM mode since my rig is now 7 yrs old. While I've had no problems with the water heater, replacing those check valves is on my list for this spring (since stuff always breaks when you are on a trip )
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We saw you guys coming back and understand you had some issue. Glad they got it fixed. Even thought they were closed, one of the mechanics came out and tried to fix our slide issue. He did check connectors and fuses at the pump but apparently did not see the loose connector. So, I got to sleep that night with the wardrobe in my face
What a visual! Hope you smiled nice!

We're now having a leaking hot water heater issue. Water has been leaking for the last couple of days -- while we've gone to visit. Not sure if / what the problem is. He is (of course) searching the forums...