Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Our Journey has been haveing problems ever when we drove it of the lot. Recently we drove it down t
100 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

hasebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Our Journey has been haveing problems ever when we drove it of the lot. Recently we drove it down to madison and when we got there the low coolent level light came on and the batteries were over chargeing. The Low coolent level didn't suprise us due to the fact two weeks after we bought it the coolent hose fell of and sprayed antifrezze all over the Red Wing bridge. Anyway we did think nothing of it. We drove it home and we parked in our drive way and the thing would not start. We called workhorse and they came a towed it to the cities two hours away and to find out the fuel sensor was bad for a long time. After they towed it we had it sent it the dealer to get warrenty work done. Two months later it is not fixed and we went to pick it up and the washer and dryer broke again and the thermostat broke and they put a huge scrach in the side of the motorhome. The lemon law in minnsota and wisconson say that it the unit is out of service for more than 30 days the we can file. What should i do?

Here is a list of things that went bad.
Door Awing Motor
Patio Awing Motor
All 5 batteries hooked up wrong
Lose hose clamp on radiator
Leather on couch was defective
Washer and dryer on and off button
Thermostat
Jacks all replaced
Air Horns
Cruse Control
Winsheld Whiper Controls
Driver Winsheld
Awing Fabric
Rechargeable Flashlight
Awing Controls
Fuel Sensor
Water Heater Piolt

Help Me!!!

2004 Journey 39k
2006 Lexus RX400h
Old 05-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
doc
Winnebago Owner

What ever decision you make, do it soon. If you let the warranty period run out you are basically holding a bag. Factory denied coverage on our 2000 Horizon on something that was reported two months after we took delivery. They recharged the chassis A/C and it would work for a while then quit. When we ended up at the factory the write-up guy said they should fix it, but the rep would not authorize it on Winne's dime. Rather than argue I paid the tab and it has been working since.
Is the problem with Workhorse or Winnebago? Hard to believe all 5 batteries are hooked incorrectly and they were able to even deliver the coach to the dealer.
These things cost too much money and folks have a tendency towards buyer's remorse...I did and know several people who have experienced the same thing. Not saying this is your situation certainly. However so many 'lemon' complaints that occur are that the new owners expect perfection (and should get it!!!) and when the new coach is not all they expected.
You posted this as a poll and my vote is 'take it back'. You will not be satisfied
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Consider yourself lucky if your Lemon Law does indeed cover RVs. Here in Michigan they are specifically excluded. National laws may cover a chassis issue, but nothing on the house. Our Adventurer was in service almost 6 months of it's first 16. Got free winter storage for two years, hard to complain. All fixed now. Save for a flakey thermostat, but it's covered for two years (dealer said one and didn't even look at it) and I'll deal with it myself. If I had a Lemon Law I'd be VERY tempted to see what they'd do. A buddy of mine got a cash offer to make him happy. I guess I'd take that.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Wow! It sure sounds like you had some gremlins in the power system! Have you gotten these items fixed ?? Any reason for all of these occurences ? It sure sounds strange that all of these things could go wrong at the same time ! Mike Lutz
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Most of these problems have been fixed expect the thermostat, washer and dryer, winsheld, and the leather on the couch. We just got it back a week ago and things are still breaking. But we did bye the extened warrenty on it. The peoblem in that our dealer is so far away and we use it every weekend.

2004 Journey 39k
2006 Lexus RX400h
Old 05-10-2005, 04:36 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I vote take it back! If we continue to accept junk Winnebago will keep selling junk!
Example: If it were a house you had built, What would you do? It is a second home and in most cases costs more.
The only way QC is going to improve is to hit them in the pocket!
Hope it all works out for you!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We drove it home and we parked in our drive way and the thing would not start. We called workhorse and they came a towed it to the cities two hours away and to find out the fuel sensor was bad for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a little confused. If you have a Journey, then why would you have called Workhorse? Doesn't your Journey have a Cat diesel in it?

Your list of problems seems long, but is very vague. For instakce, you said that "all 5 batteries hooked up wrong". How in the world could you, or anyone else, ever driven it off the lot? How did it even start? No smoke? No burned out systems? Yet "hooked up wrong?" Hmmm

Jacks all replaced? Who decided that they were all bad? Seems nearly impossible that all jacks could have been bad. Maybe air in the hydraulic system, or a blown fuse to the pump, but...

Couch leather defective? We just bought a very expensiv European recliner, with high quality leather, and it came with a booklet that outlines the various "so-called defects" that are perfectly normal. Insect bites, small scars from a fence, etc. Was you leather defective in the fabrication (e.g. seams falling apart?), or imperfections in the leather.

I truly hope that will get your issues with this coach resolved, and enjoy it. But all motorhome, any manufacturer you can name, will have problems that need top be worked out. Lemon laws generally mean the same problem that re-occurs 3 or more time which has rendered your motor vehicle inoperable. In any event, Best of luck to you.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Capt Bill, I was puzzled as well when I first saw Journey and Workhorse. But, remember that in 2004 Winnie offered the Journey on the WH DP chassis as an option. I've never encountered anyone with one - and in 2005 it is no longer an option. Didn't get enough orders I guess.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have a workhourse chassis it was only available for a short amount of time. The thing with the batteries we had it sent to workhourse beacuse the bootons on the steering wheel didn't work and when they disconected the batteries they hooked them up wrong and overcharged the system. Will the jacks the dealership said that they needed to be replaced the problem with them was the wouldn't go up. The leather had a thin spot and was about to rip my wife works at redwing shoe as a designer and she knows that kind of stuff. As for the lemon law:

218.015(1)(h) (intro.) "Reasonable attempt to repair" means any of the following occurring within the term of an express warranty applicable to a new motor vehicle or within one year after first delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is sooner:

218.015(1)(h)1. The same nonconformity with the warranty is subject to repair by the manufacturer, motor vehicle lessor or any of the manufacturer's authorized motor vehicle dealers at least 4 times and the nonconformity continues.

218.015(1)(h)2. The motor vehicle is out of service for an aggregate of at least 30 days because of warranty nonconformities.

2004 Journey 39k
2006 Lexus RX400h
Old 05-11-2005, 04:15 AM   #11

hasebar

I stand CORRECTED... After reading the spec sheet, I do remember. As from the size of the option listing, it didn't stand out.

Although, the problems you have listed, are not the result of having the Workhorse chassis. The mass majority of your problems come from the coach manufacturer.

IN ANY EVENT YOU NEED TO FILE RIGHT NOW, to get it on record...

Tomcat F15
Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The brocure for 2004 journey has it as an option please go to link below2004 Journey. I apprecate your concern for our veichle i just need to know if they never produced it beacuse it you think it is test veichle then i need to file with-in the next two months. Is there a place i can go to verify.

2004 Journey 39k
2006 Lexus RX400h
Old 05-11-2005, 04:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Sorry About The link try this one.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/html/pro...9k.pdf#search='2004%20winnebago%20journey%20brochure'

Please Help Me i am Confused
Old 05-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Tomcat F15 - you flunked the test I'm afraid. You aren't as knowledgeable as some of us here (well, on this issue anyway). If you can't find the brochure I have the spec page in PDF format and will email it to you. The entry of relevance is:

"Chassis - Workhorse (available January 2004), Cummins ISC 8.3L 330-hp, rear radiator, Allison 6-speed electronic 3,000 MH transmission, Arvin Meritor front and rear air suspension, 200-amp. alternator, exhaust brake, 4-wheel ABS, SmartWheel steering wheel, Wheels stylized aluminum"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
hasebar

I am about a knowledgeable about Winnebago Journeys as any one here, and I don't ever remember Winnebago using Workhorse chassis in production.

I know you mean well, don't you mean FreightLiner Chassis. The Journey is Winnebago's top selling entry level Diesel on a FreightLiner Chassis...

The only way you may have gotten a Workhorse Chassis, was that it was a test vehicle for evaluation purposes and sold when they were done. If that was the case, you need to consult legal consul, because of "oms & omissions" in the sell of this vehicle. YOU NEED TO FILE RIGHT NOW, to get it on record...

Tomcat F15
Old 05-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Tomcat, I should add that I think the WH chassis was a bust as far as Winnie was concerned. It cost more (how much I don't know for certain but think about $5k) and they got very few orders. They dropped it as an option for 2005 which to me seems to indicate that very early in the game they recognized that it was not going to sell.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

If you're looking for advice, I'd say take it back and use your lemon law if necessary. I own a 2004 39K Journey and am truly satisfied. That is not to say we didn't have a few problems but all have been corrected (knock on wood) and it runs beautifully. I had a problem with the door awning, but it was a user problem. Same with the flashlight, seems you have to fold in the electrical connection before it will work. Most of issues have been truly minor, though.

Anyway, good luck.
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:04 AM   #17

I stand corrected, so don't let it go to your head. Your time is coming!

Tomcat F15
1 out 1366 isn't to bad.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
I stand corrected, so don't let it go to your head. Your time is coming!

Tomcat F15
1 out 1366 isn't to bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are not the only one who missed this chassis introduction. I was in the market for 2004 so I saw the brochure. You had already bought so it was easy to miss it unless you had a brochure and just happened to read all the specs. I don't recall seeing any drum beating announcement about the WH chassis being available and they removed it from the specs just as quietly. I specifically looked at the 05 brochure when I saw someone refer to the WH a few months ago - I too had even forgotten that it was available and I'd never seen anyone with a signature that mentioned they owned one.

I would not be at all surprised if they only produced a handful of Journeys with the WH chassis.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #19
rg
Winnebago Camper

The more I read different forums on the web it seems WH chassis have major problems.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
Tomcat, I should add that I think the WH chassis was a bust as far as Winnie was concerned. It cost more (how much I don't know for certain but think about $5k) and they got very few orders. They dropped it as an option for 2005 which to me seems to indicate that very early in the game they recognized that it was not going to sell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That was not the case at all. The reasons as to why are totally an internal decision at Winnebago Industries and speculating why in this discussion is not productive.

Several current owners of the R-Series chassis built by Winnebago Industries are very pleased with their purchase not to mention the 4000 pounds more of CCC they enjoy having a 32000 GVW chassis.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote