Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Our Journey has been haveing problems ever when we drove it of the lot. Recently we drove it down t
100 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Driver, how many did they sell? Can you give us an exact number and same for those on FTL chassis. If not, how can you support your assertion? I don't think they would have gone to all the effort to introduce the WH chassis and then cut it if it had been selling. Satisfaction of owners is not relevant if they don't sell enough to warrant the extra costs of having it in their lineup.

I was not commenting on the success of the chassis from a technical point of view (knowing you are a WH zealot I'd never consider doing that since it would only upset you ) but rather from a sales/economic point of view. It doesn't matter how good something is - if it doesn't sell it doesn't sell. I'm watching the Presidio with interest since it now has the WH chassis and when I inspected a unit at the Tampa show it looked pretty good - and the price was better than fair.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
... how can you support your assertion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not asserting anything. There are many reasons for doing things that we are not aware of but the fact that WCC rails wouldn't sell I don't believe is one of them.

Other major manufacturers also changed rails one from Freightliner to Spartan.

When you look again at a Presidio just compare the CCC and you can clearly see the benefit of having an R-Series rail, especially since you already know that the price is right.

Hitchhiker and I both test drove the R-Series Presidio in Tampa and it worked really well.

Now I didn't want to again mention that I also took laps at the Texas Motor Speedway with the R-Series but I was the fastest "hot rod" motorhome on the race track.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Hmm. How to answer. Clearly you said it is your opinion ("don't believe"). If it had sold (and surely it didn't - just try to find one - like a needle in a hay stack) would they have dropped it? Unlikely IMO.

WH might have thought Ford was an easy target as it (FORD) really didn't have a lot of competition from GM. WH sure hasn't found that with the DP chassis though - lots of competition and WH is barely on the radar screen at this time.

CCC - that is the first things I look at now. We are thinking of switching to leave our problems behind us. We asked for price differences for trades on a Journey 39K and a Vectra 40FD. As I noted in this or another thread - they were really too big for us to jump in. Our current CCC is pretty good for the chassis - almost 4000 lbs. The 39K they have is just over 1700 lbs and the 40FD is about 2200 lbs. Not comforting.

I haven't seen any mention of it (that I can recall) but as of April 13 all 39K's and F's being built have a rear GAWR of 19,000 vs 17,500 prior to April 1. The 39K we are looking at was built several months earlier and given its CCC I can see the need for more - but would have like to have seen more on the front as well.

I've been wondering what the limiting component is on the front end of the 39W, 39K and 39F. The GAWR is 10,410 lbs. The load rating of the front tires at 110 psi is 5205 - thus 10,410 for the two of them. Is that the limiting factor? Are the other componenets higher? Could one add tires with a load rating of, say, 6000 lbs each and increase the front GAWR - keeping in mind that it would not change the overall limit and just allow some shifting forward?

Our concern is that moving to this particular 39K would give us a weight problem - likely the same with the Vectra - so they may get ruled out for reasons of price and CCC.

As to buying a Presidio - its manufacturer has been on my "not interested list." I might have to reconsider that decision - but not in the immediate future. I'd rather get my coach properly repaired under warranty and get appropriate use out of it before losing so much on a trade. First year depreciation is like going barefoot over hot coals.

ps. Did you know that Winnebago uses the Spartan chassis on a DP.