Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 AM   #21

Great reply Steve,

This reply is only to keep this topic at the top for all to read and do an inspection. If it saves you folks from the problems we had, it's well worth it.

Tomcat F15
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."
Old 12-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #22

Hey folks I have two interesting pictures in the Photos Section, look at them and give us your thoughts. I wasn't able to take pictures of my screws, one was screwed into the muffler and the wood platform caught fire before I could find the source.

Tomcat F15
"It seems we're the sacrificial lamb for this problem."
Old 12-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #23
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I cannot understand why Winnebago does not issue a recall. This is big class action lawsuit waiting to happen if more coaches go the way yours went or even worse
Old 12-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Have my coach at the dealers. Took him the thread and pictures and he told me the condition does not exist on my unit. Must have been with certain "builds". Happy Holidays and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:30 AM   #25

ichn

I'm glade to hear that you shouldn't have that problem. It's better to check it now, then to be sorry latter. I heard the same from a couple of other folks who wrote me after they had their coaches checked. The points of their screws were there, but they were far enough away that they didn't pose any problem. I wish I knew what I know now, for if I did, that dang muffler would have been moved over long ago. My muffler rests against the back of the compartment. It's a good thing that compartment is metal and not plastic.

Tomcat F15
Old 12-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

How many instances of this problem have occured as of this date? Is this an unfortunate isolated incident or have there been several examples of this problem?

Nick
Old 12-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #27

TOC,

Good question, thank you.
Have you viewed the 2 pictures in my gallery?
They speak for themselves. The assembly process leaves this issue wide open until an inspection of every coach, in question, has been done. Even if there were to be only one, Mine, it's to many; but we'll never know until the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration publishes their report.

Tomcat F15
"All companies have roads to travel, the direction they take may lead to trouble."
Old 12-19-2004, 08:15 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Tomcat,
I'd get the shop that does your chassis maintenance involved in this also. What happened to your rig never should have been allowed to go on for 18,000 miles. Your mechanic should have caught that the first time he slid underneath to p.m. the chassis. Checking that wiring harnesses are secure, air lines aren't chafing and exhaust systems aren't touching anything are all part of every manufacurer's p.m. requirements. That's basic truck mechanics 101, and if your mechanic didn't do it then his boss needs to be aware of his negligence and should share in the responsbility of what ultimately happened. It's sad that a required inspection that literally takes seconds to do could have corrected the problem and been brought to Winnebago's attention long before disaster struck. I apologize for venting, but in my business I come across way too many undertrained or underqualified tradesmen being paid way too much money to do half-a-- jobs and not being held accountable by their bosses.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:20 AM   #29
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ppeter313:
I come across way too many undertrained or underqualified tradesmen being paid way too much money to do half-a-- jobs and not being held accountable by their bosses. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul, Thank you!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #30

Hey Pet
I agree with you. Now that you bring this up, our coach has been at the factory four times in the last 2 years for one thing or another, at the Freightliner in Elkhart, IN, the CAT dealer in South Bend, IN for a valve adjustment at 12,000 miles, and an oil pan leak. Heck, the work on the oil pan leak was inches from the muffler, which had been attached to the back of the Electrical Compartment with the harden sheet metal screws by Winnebago. I further agree you, that basic Mechanics 101 applies, but is this part of any inspection procedure? I dare say, probably not. But I can assure you this, after this topic on this forum and an investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration things will be looked at a lot closer.

Driver,
I'm sorry if this topic may concern the staff, but put yourself in our position and what it could mean to other owners of the same coaches if the problem is lying in waiting to happen to them! We would give anything not to have experienced what we went through either with the coach or the customer service people. It took 3 years to develope those friendships, not to mention, with their help, we just put a siziable sum of money into this coach for some really nice upgrades, just before we left on the Harrisburg/New york trip. To us this coach offered us everything that a $350,000 coach had. We were "happy campers".

Tomcat F15
"It's strange how the cards of life are dealt, isn't?"
Old 12-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

There are conscientious mechanics out there who will look around for anything that may need attention even though it's not required for the repair they are doing. The CAT mechanic is a good example of what should have happened. Even though his assignment was to repair an oil leak, it's too bad he didn't do a quick inspection of everything else since he was under there anyways. The person who is specifically required to look around and inspect things is the mechanic doing your p.m. This really wasn't a hidden defect either as they kind of jump out at you as soon as you look up at the muffler. When I did a post delivery inspection on mine last spring I noticed the screws, but my muffler has plenty of clearance so my only thought was that those screws were going to catch a shirt sleeve or some skin if I ever have to reach up around the muffler. Ultimately. there was no visible reasons that I could see for Winnebago to use screws that long in the first place.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:49 AM   #32

Paul,
Your last sentence actually says it all, regarding this problem. The results and the respnsibility sits squarely on Winnebago's shoulders and nowhere else...

And as for your first sentence, there are conscientious manufactures who do what is right, and that opportunity is still open.

Tomcat F15
"To thyne ownself be true."
Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #33

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

To the silent ones from this forum who have written me, thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you didn't have to experience the problems that we did and you can travel with peace of mind and safely.

Tomcat F15
"It brings back memories of walking point, someone has to do it."
Old 12-27-2004, 02:08 AM   #34

Well, we'll be heading out this week toward south Texas. Already experienced another problem which is unrelated, but could have been quite serious. Non the less, I took care of it and will wait for the factory's response.

Between WI-FI and the public librarys, we'll try to keep in contact with the forum. I sure don't like winter, it will be a real pleasure to get somewhere warm and sunny.

Tomcat F15
"I hope nothing else breaks down!"
Old 12-27-2004, 02:49 AM   #35
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
I sure don't like winter, it will be a real pleasure to get somewhere warm and sunny. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We too, we're outta here Sunday morning! The forecast for our departure window looks like we're going to be in the 50s for the Hi temps and the 40s for the Lo temps.

That's good news as we head south. First stop I hope will be Fredricksburg, VA.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:49 PM   #36

DriVer,

You better take a pair of long undees and a shovel. Virgina got hit with show last night, just where your headed. Be careful.

Tomcat F15
Old 12-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Yup, here in Seaford we got 14 inches other areas got much less. Not our usual moderate weather. Will be in the 50's by weeks end. Need to be headed South too. Safe miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:16 AM   #38

I came across a fellow Journey owner in our travels south and he to almost had the screews in his muffler. We can caulk up another one saved!

We're in Port Aransas, TX right now, it 55 degrees and cloudy, I hope this don't last.

Talk about luck, we were in San Antonio a couple days ago, quess what? The Water Walk was closed for the seasonale cleaning. And we were so looking forward to experiencing it. Almost all the shops were closed, which probably save me a bundle

Tomcat F15
"and the skies are cloudy all day, home, home on the range"
Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Hey Tomcat, Come up to Minnesota. The sky is crystal clear blue, no mosquitos, and it's warming up as I type. We're at 6 above zero already.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #40

Donavon,

We left southern Michigan when it about 10 degree. We had 80 degrees yesterday and high 70's are forcasted for the weekend. I'll take 55 for a day or 2 any time as long as warmer wheather is in the close future.

Tomcat F15