Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey/Meridian 34H

Interested in this model...2004-5...wonder about the kitchen in the slide...any thoughts on that or anything else regarding the 34H?
Thanks
Birdie66b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaficionado View Post
Interested in this model...2004-5...wonder about the kitchen in the slide...any thoughts on that or anything else regarding the 34H?
Thanks
We had a '05 Vectra 40'. The basement on the slide was a problem because it was very easy to overload it. The interior storage + the basement storage can overwhelm the slide. We had several issues with it. A common problem is with the slide pads wearing out or the hanger bolts for the basement cabinets failing. If you are only using it for vacations you will probably be okay. I hope those with experience with this model respond to you with first hand knowledge.

Rick Y
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ours is an '07 model 34H. Have not had any issues with the kitchen slide or the type of slide problems Rick Y mentioned in his post. I do remember some people having problems with the flexible sink drain tubing - too short. They fixed it by replacing the tubing with a longer piece and making sure it did not bind on anything. If you do get it, install the trickle charger Winnebago began installing as factory equipment on the '06 or '07 models. It insures the chassis batteries get charged when you are plugged in to shore power. As with any Winnebago product with the one piece roof, make sure the caulking where the roof panel tucks into the upper side molding is in good condition.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Fleetman,
Are you FT or spend months every year in the 34 H? Just wondering about your general impressions (good/not so good) of the coach. Thanks
Birdie66b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi AZ, Our 2004 Journey 34H has been everything we'd hoped it'd be and more. The previous owner installed a longer sink drain hose and rerouted it so the kitchen slide can open and close without kinks.
So far it's been very easy to perform routine maintenance and with plenty of towing capability, we've towed our mid size Toyota Highlander as a towed or an enclosed trailer for the toys with relative ease. Air brakes and the exhaust brake makes those long descends down mountain roads feel a whole lot more relaxing too. Smooth, quiet and a really solid feel. I think you'll like it a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00908.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	91507   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01853.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	91508  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Hi AZ, Our 2004 Journey 34H has been everything we'd hoped it'd be and more. The previous owner installed a longer sink drain hose and rerouted it so the kitchen slide can open and close without kinks.
So far it's been very easy to perform routine maintenance and with plenty of towing capability, we've towed our mid size Toyota Highlander as a towed or an enclosed trailer for the toys with relative ease. Air brakes and the exhaust brake makes those long descends down mountain roads feel a whole lot more relaxing too. Smooth, quiet and a really solid feel. I think you'll like it a lot.
Hey
I think I recognize that trailer.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Ours is an '07 model 34H. Have not had any issues with the kitchen slide or the type of slide problems Rick Y mentioned in his post. I do remember some people having problems with the flexible sink drain tubing - too short. They fixed it by replacing the tubing with a longer piece and making sure it did not bind on anything. If you do get it, install the trickle charger Winnebago began installing as factory equipment on the '06 or '07 models. It insures the chassis batteries get charged when you are plugged in to shore power. As with any Winnebago product with the one piece roof, make sure the caulking where the roof panel tucks into the upper side molding is in good condition.
I am so glad to here of your happy camping with the 34H. I think the slide on my 40FD was just too big and heavy from the get-go. Sometimes bigger is not better. I love it when my speculations are proved to be hog wash. I know better than to speculate.

Rick Y
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaficionado View Post
Fleetman,
Are you FT or spend months every year in the 34 H? Just wondering about your general impressions (good/not so good) of the coach. Thanks
AZ, We generally spend four to six weeks, twice a year in the MH. Our previous RV was a 27' TT which we lived in for eight months while our house was being built. That included a winter with several 12 to 15" snows and temps in the teens for weeks at a time. The 34H is like a palace in comparison, it has all the room, features and comforts for the two of us. However, everyone is different. Ron and Cindy seem well satisfied with theirs, we feel the same about ours.

Yes, we've had some problems over the past 8 1/2 years and 70+ thousand miles but nothing others have not experienced. The '04 model you are looking at should have all the initial/new MH problems resolved.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have not had any major problems. A pinched ice maker line that finally let loose and leaked and 1 pad bushing failed. Both repaired/replaced by me. I think and believe
it's a fine rig. YES! Watch the weight you store in the slide compartments. Keep it light!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey