Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey Maint. List

In 2006 I bought an 04 Journey. The only thing I have done is oil changes and an air filter. The coach has 47,000 miles. Due to age I'm thinking that there are some maintenance stuff that is probably due. Close by we have a very reliable truck shop that also performs work on deisel RV's.
I want to make sure certain things are worked on this time around.
1) Oil Change/filter
2) Allison Transmission service / fluid change
3) Check air cleaner element
4) Coolant change
5) Fuel filter change
6) Air dryer desiccant & coalescent filter change
7) Genset oil/air filter change

Is there anything I'm missing, please help........
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Lube chassis and check front hubs. Chassis normally needs to be lubed 2 times for every oil change.

Also, clean the charge air cooler and radiator. I do this every time that I lube the chassis.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

In addition to what you have on your list and what erneih suggested above, your annual service items should at least always include:

Oil/filter
chassis lube
fuel filter
genset oil/filter (or at 150 hours).

You can go to the Freightliner Custom Chassis website and download a PDF file called 'Know your Chassis.' It provides excellent info. on service and recommended service intervals for everything on the chassis.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ed, your list is pretty much complete.

smlranger's suggestion of downloading the Freightliner guideline is good. Be aware that there are some conflicting recommendations from the maunfacturer's sites (FL, Allison, CAT, etc) on some of the maintenance intervals. My recommendation is to be conservative, and do the maintenance based on time, not mileage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ed: Those offering the advice relative to the Freightliner guidelines are right on target. I also have a 2004 Journey which I purchased new. From the time of purchase, I have followed the Freightliner recommendations for what is referred to as either an M2 or an M3 maintenance service. The M3 is more involved (and also more expernsive). One thing that you should check is wheter a "valve adjustment" was done. If I recall correctly this procedure should be done around 40,000 miles. I hope that I have been of some help to you. Good Luck, I've enjoyed my Winnebago Journey and I trust that you will enjoy your motorhome.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We lucked out greatly with our Journey. Nothing major so far since we've owned it. All of these suggestions are great. I did read through the manuals to come up with a punch list and wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I've missed. If there is anything else please let me know. I will get an idea of cost with this list and post it here next week.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ed: I have check lists for the M2 and M3 maintenance service that Freightliner in Gaffney, SC provides when I have work done at that facility. I usually stop there yearly on our way back from Florida to Pennsylvania. If you give me an email or fax number, I'll fire off both of these check lists to you. If I use email, I'll just copy the items from each sheet.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just spent the last two days in Camp Freightliner and learned that FL is rolling out a 'new' maintenance schedule to replace the initial, m1, m2 and m3. It is based on age of coach (build age) and mileage. It is quite similar to the m's schedule but easier to understand. The items to be maintenanced have not changed except they don't require a torque wrench on every chassis bolt when an inspection will do.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Power steering fluid and filter and differential flluid change if it is a Meritor rear end, requires synthetic gear oil.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

looks like you have received good advice, but I wish someone had advised me to check my radiator for clogging with oily grime from the road and from the blowby tube preceding the radiator. Would have prevented my overheating on long pulls.

jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H, C7 + suzuki AWD toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update: Last week I contacted our nearest Freightliner shop and requested a ball park figure for the M3 service. The service rep. said sure but he will need to look it up and call me back. He seemed a little unfamiliar with M3. He called back about an hour later and read off some of the items and he said he would call me back. He never called back. So I went to a truck shop down the road and showed him the M3 service list (that I got from someone on this site) and they called me right back and said no problem. To have everything done including complete genset service will be $1,600.00. Very reliable shop and they do all of the service work for the fire dept.
I'm sure Freightliner is pretty busy and I know they are a great shop.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

That is a great price if they don't find anything that needs 'fixing'. I just had my m3 done at Gaffney and it cost me $1,800 (ouch). I had to replace steering drag links and it took a bit longer due to Safe-T-steer and had my radiator steamed ($180). I can't wait to see all the service centers go nuts when they get the lastest service schedules from FL. I think they have it go out to 90 months.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote