Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey Laminated Floor / Slider Issues

I am working on renovating my new to me '03 Journey 34 DL. Removed all the old green carpet and started installing laminate flooring.

While the laminate clears the slide in the out position, what we didn't account for is that the slide drops down once it starts moving forward--tearing up the floor and wrecking our plans.

A quick google search showed this is a common problem. Solutions revolve around installing a strip of carpet under the slide or using nylon or Teflon sliders to take the weight of the slide. These solutions seem to have mixed success.

I know our main slide is quite heavy. Anyone with experience and what works in supporting it? I was thinking of three nylon sliders on the main slide and two on the bedroom. They seem to sell these are boat trailer supply stores.

Thanks!
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
I am working on renovating my new to me '03 Journey 34 DL. Removed all the old green carpet and started installing laminate flooring.

While the laminate clears the slide in the out position, what we didn't account for is that the slide drops down once it starts moving forward--tearing up the floor and wrecking our plans.

A quick google search showed this is a common problem. Solutions revolve around installing a strip of carpet under the slide or using nylon or Teflon sliders to take the weight of the slide. These solutions seem to have mixed success.

I know our main slide is quite heavy. Anyone with experience and what works in supporting it? I was thinking of three nylon sliders on the main slide and two on the bedroom. They seem to sell these are boat trailer supply stores.

Thanks!
This is the one of the reasons I went with commercial quality carpet tiles instead of laminate.

Here's a link that may help:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/any...rs-343465.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is the one of the reasons I went with commercial quality carpet tiles instead of laminate.

Here's a link that may help:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/any...rs-343465.html

Thanks. Yes, getting away from carpet due to my wife's allergies. Due to revisiting it in the daylight, there is plenty of clearance on the rear slide and the kitchen end of the front slide has a felt slider built in. What we are going to try are nylon rollers based on what others have done that way we can keep the slide level in the position that it locks out in.

I will update once we resolve.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good luck, you'll still have to make sure your floors are scrupulously clean before retracting the slides. I'm looking forward to a positive update.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Third night on the road. Thought I would share how the floor came out as well as the removal of the old mirrors and ceramic tiles added.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Carpet

I replaced my carpet with vinyl flooring I also found the problem. My slide had carpet sliders that did not slide on the new floor. I took three aluminum flat pieces form Lowes and stick them between the sliders and the floor, so that the slider will slide on the sticks. You have to start the slide in about a inch or so before you insert the sticks. I works great
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
WinnieAdven38

You have several issues going on here.

1st - The slide glide strip. This is long strip - the length of the slide - which is designed to take the entire weight of the slide as it is brought in. With the OE carpet in place this nylon faced strip literally glides across the carpet. Actually works very well as carpet is tough stuff.

But - once you remove that carpet and replace it with solid flooring the only thing that glide strip can do is rub along the new flooring - which then scratches it up pretty badly, very quickly (as we found out). Because of this Winnebago offers a a completely different glide strip for use on solid floors - a wood strip wrapped in felt. This felt is supposed to act as the sliding surface - much like the carpet used to. However! you have to make sure your floor is completely clean before bringing in the slide because that felt will accumulate any grit there and eventually scratch the floor.

2ndly - Assuming you have the "flat floor" system you are very likely experiencing a failure of the nylon glide blocks. These are angled nylon blocks on which the rams ride under the floor to lift it up - and over - when the slide is brought in. They went to to a huge amount of trouble to build this crazy floor system to just come up 2 inches. (or less) And it was a very bad design, because the total weight of the larger slide, plus all the weight of everything in the storage compartments under that slide (which ride along with it) are borne by these 4 small leveling blocks - which all seem to fail and crack after a few years. They are not nearly large or robust enough to take these loads. Awful, very weak design and HWH and Winnebago should be sued over this.

To replace these blocks is a big, difficult job. Just search Youtube for Kevin Caudill where he posted several videos on how to replace these.

Anyway - once these blocks split and fail the floor has a difficult time raising up and clearing the edge of your floor as it comes in. We found that with the carpet in place that the slide would hit that and ride up on it on the OE nylon glide strip. But once we removed the carpet the 1st thing the edge of the slide now hits is the edge of your new floor - which it then easily rips up.

So it sounds like you have 2 issues going on here. Installing a proper glide strip which more safely rides on your new flooring, and (2) replacing the "flat floor" angled glide blocks on the underside of the slide rams.

So as much as we were glad to get rid of the old carpet it actually served a very functional role in slide operation.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
2003 Journey 32T

Same here. We remodeled 03 journey. It didn't take long to scratch our expensive life proof laminate floor which we were told would not scratch. Ha! Once the slide is out we just throw down a carpet runner to cover the scratches and try to pretend there not there. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
Third night on the road. Thought I would share how the floor came out as well as the removal of the old mirrors and ceramic tiles added.
Fantastic. Can't wait to see the repainted woodworking and the furniture changed out or recovered.

I'm trust you'll change out the gold knobs and handles, too? Are you going to get some MCD shades for up front?

Tags
journey, slide