Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Was putting stuff in our new rig today....not plugged into shoreline so started genset, set heat pump (outside air was about 50F) but heat pump never would run. Gas furnace did run. Read the book, made sure my heat setting was no more than 5F higher than actual temp in the coach.

Then, extended rear slide to get into wardrobe...slide would not retract. Front slide worked fine. Read the book, started checking fuses. Wife called previous coach owner and he said start the CAT, then try retracting the slide. It worked. Previous owner said if chassis batteries were low, this would happen. Not sure why rear slide affected but front slide not.

Anyway, moved coach to my parking area and plugged into 50AMP outlet. Heat pump worked fine.

When we were on the road last week, heat pump ran fine with the genset running, so not sure why it did not today.

Any ideas?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Was putting stuff in our new rig today....not plugged into shoreline so started genset, set heat pump (outside air was about 50F) but heat pump never would run. Gas furnace did run. Read the book, made sure my heat setting was no more than 5F higher than actual temp in the coach.

Then, extended rear slide to get into wardrobe...slide would not retract. Front slide worked fine. Read the book, started checking fuses. Wife called previous coach owner and he said start the CAT, then try retracting the slide. It worked. Previous owner said if chassis batteries were low, this would happen. Not sure why rear slide affected but front slide not.

Anyway, moved coach to my parking area and plugged into 50AMP outlet. Heat pump worked fine.

When we were on the road last week, heat pump ran fine with the genset running, so not sure why it did not today.

Any ideas?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new rig!

Since both slides are powered by the same pump, everything must be OK there. I would suspect the rear slide retract solenoid may require a little more voltage to activate. May be about to fail or maybe it's just showing it's individual character.

There is a bolt under the edge of the inside entry steps. Remove the nut from the upper step and you can lift the step and look right down at the HWH area. The slide solenoids are right on top. Might be worth cleaning the contacts on the harness that supplies the rear slide retract. Don't remember which one it is, but the HWH manual has a good illustration looking straight down on the unit.

Sorry, don't even have a guess on the heatpump...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tom:

I've got to call the dealer tomorrow since I found a broken muffler hanger so will ask about the rear slide and heat pump. I'll check those solenoids. The previous owned told me the chassis batteries are not charged by either the solar panel or when plugged into shoreline...only get charged when the CAT is running. He said he used a trickle charger on the chassis batteries when he parked the coach for more than a few days.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Regarding the heat pump. Try setting the thermostst 2 degrees above interior ambient. That should be enough to start the heat pump but not the furnace. In my rig 5 degrees will trigger both systems to come on...noisey! Also, the heat pump will not come on if the outside ambient is below some preset condition, I think it's around 45 degrees.

Regarding the batteries, your original owner is correct; the chassis battery is not being charged while plugged into shore power. Use a jumper between the positive house bank and the positive chassis bank. Don't forget unplug (unjump?) before starting.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Barney:

The Winne manual said if outside temp is below 36F, heat pump will not cycle. It was 48 - 50 F when I tried. I tried setting the thermostat no more than 4 degrees over actual temp in the coach but still would not come on. The furnace would run. Heat pump would not run until I plugged the coach into 50amp outlet.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

smlranger,
Check the obvious first. Make sure the breaker(s) on your genset aren't tripped.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with mine. The heat pump would not come on at all. Everything else worked fine. I called RV Comfort customer service and they determined it was a bad thermostat. They sent me one and I replaced it and everything is fine. Easy to change, 2 connectors.
Call RV Comfort customer service at 316 832-4357 and they should be able to help. Web address is www.rvcomfort.com

2003 Journey DL 36GD
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote