Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey Genset Removal Advice

I have a 2003 Winnebago Journey Dl. Genset is not on a slide. Its now throwing a code and I need to drop it. Onan would charge a fortune to drop it, so would prefer to drop it myself and take it in to be repaired. I have two options that I can think of, after looking over this forum for past posts on the issue:
1. I can remove the front clip (the fiberglass panel below the winshield). Some have said its easy, but it looks fairly detailed to me and requires at least two people to lift the clip off the vehicle, with a risk of damage to the finish of the clip. Then I can proceed to disconnect everything on the genset, unbolt the supports for the genset, lower it on a motorcycle lift, slide it out and take it to Onan (Cummins). The built in hydraulic jacks can easily lift the front of the coach the 4-5 inches necessary to clear the fixed frame member in the front.
OR 2. Keep the front clip on. The coach would have to be raised an additional 7-8 inches for the genset to clear the front clip as well as the frame members. To get the additional 7 inches, I would have to raise the front of the coach with blocks under the coach hydraulic jacks, use jackstands to hold the coach, add additional blocking under the hydraulic jacks to get enough clearance (the hydraulic coach jacks have a max throw of about 10"),
Has anyone with experience in either of these two methods any advice? Anyone else have removed the front clip of a Winnebago? Any other advice from DIY repair experts here?
Thanks in advance. A tentative DIYer.
Sailorkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You didn't say whether it was a diesel or propane genset. I have a propane genset, and had a starting problem. Drove the motorhome up on wooden ramp, raising the front wheels approximately 12 inches.
Proceeded to disconnect electrical, exhaust, shutoff propane and disconnect propane plumbing. Using wooden cribbing and a floor jack, slowly dropped the genset down and pulled it forward.
The biggest difference if it is a diesel would be the weight.

The problem was a propane line leak where the fuel enters the mixing valve. The leak would draw air into the system (I was looking for a propane leak) and upset the fuel ratio. Squirting WD-40 into the inlet during start, the genset would start and run. Replace a short length of flex hose, saving me a bundle in parts plus labor.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. Its a diesel. I can disconnect everything before lifting front end of the coach. Ramp is another good idea to lift coach. Must have been scary seeing it so high in the air?!?
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Here's someone doing this job on a 2004 Bounder. It's not the same I'm sure, but, it might give you some ideas.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the link. It was useful. He used the same motorcycle jack that I have. His front clip has a panel for removal of the genset. Mine does not. I don't think I am going to keep the motorhome for long, or I would cut a panel in the existing front cap, finish it nice, and have it available for future use. Still concerned about jacking it so far into the air.... VS removing the front cap (or clip or whatever you call the fiberglass below the windshield).
Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 Journey same setup I had to replace the coolant expansion tank and put a new water pump belt on. I preformed the work by just dropping the generator down from mounts was a real pain in the butt after all the hassle of removing the generator cover panels next time the front clip will be coming off.If you pull the front clip may want to do headlight housings at the same time.
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, chmielowiec, so you just dropped the genset under the coach and worked on it there? That would be a pain in the neck. Or butt. Literally. I am not nimble enough to move around that much under the coach. Looks like I'm going to try without removing the front clip. First drive the coach onto 2x12's to get 1.5" elevation. Then I'll undo all the connections to the genset, put a motorcycle jack under the genset, undo the mounts, lower the genset. Then put wood supports under the coach leveling jacks and jack up the front of the coach about 10". Then pull the genset out from under the coach (motorcycle jacks has wheels). Then lower the coach. Then run the genset onto my trailer and take to Onan for repair.
It is a little scary, but I'm never under the coach when its up in the air. If I can't get enough clearance, I can always remove the front clip at that time. Plan B.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just another datapoint. I have an 04 Itasca Meridian....Same coach. About 5 years ago would run 5 mins and shut off. Throwing a 5-24 code. Coolant temp sensor has gone bad. $27 sensor.

I am a fulltimer and so have fewer options. Cummins shop in TN put MH on lift and took it out. They found a lot of corrosion around the sensor. Cleaned it up, and did full maintanence.....since it was out.

Bill was $1211. Has worked fine ever since.

Good luck
Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Mine may be a sensor or something similar as well. I forgot the code, but it may also be a lost magnet on the rotor. The local cummins dealer said he could take it out, but quoted a HUGE price just to drop it and put it back. If I thought $1200 would do it, I'd take it to them in a heartbeat. Maybe I should look for another cummins/onan dealer.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
RJL
Winnebago Camper

I just had my generator removed for a replacement of the fuel pump by Rocky Mountain Cummins in AZ. $1100.00 just to drop it, diagnose, and reinstall. The replacement of the pump and a couple of fuel hoses was another $900.00. All in all with taxes and hazardous waste charges it ended up to be about $2300.00 and almost a weeks time at Cummins. I wouldn't have wanted to do it myself.
RJL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, journey, removal