Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey Genset Removal

I've searched the forums and found no topic related to removal of the Onan genset on a Journey. I am due a v-belt change and new coolant hoses on the quiet diesel and wondering if anyone has dropped the genset themselves. I am thinking it could be done with a motorcycle jack. However, not sure I can get enough clearance using the leveling jacks.

Anyone out there done this?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I had a rotor magnet disintegrate on my generator in January and it was repaired by Cummins in Sacramento, CA. They told me they raised the motorhome on a lift to get enough clearance to take it out. I wouldn't think the levelers would raise it far enough unless you could start with significant pads under them or drive it up on blocks. By-the-way, I believe it's pretty heavy (the book says 420 lbs.), so be extremely careful. Good Luck.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
cmcfar110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I didn't drop the generator myself but watched the Tech do it. We were able to raise the MH far enough by placing a wood 4x4 under the front jacks and lowering the front jacks all the way down. The tech was able to get a forklift under the Gen. Took him about an hour to remove the Gen. Not something I would attempt myself.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I spoke to a Cummings mechanic at a rally in Perry GA regarding our 2004 Journey generator belt replacement last year and he said unless I knew I was going boon docking he would let it ride. Also said it was not a job to try unless you had the correct equipment. He said the belts do fail but it is more likely to last for quit a few years.

Failure on the road would be inconvenient but until we change our traveling style I am not going to change out the belt for a while. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Unless you have 3000 hours on the genny, I wouldn't give it a second thought about changing out the fan belt. I would change out the muffler bearings and headlight oil way before worrying about a fan belt overloaded with a water pump and fan load.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Gary, I had my 7.5 serviced last year. Had over 1400 hours on it. I was going to do it myself, but didn't have the time between trips, so I had it done. Cost me right at $800. The hoses looked OK but the fan belt was on the verge of going. Had quite a number of major cracks, don't wait too long. We use our gen to power the house air when traveling, keeps the whole coach cool not just the front.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Gary, I had my 7.5 serviced last year. Had over 1400 hours on it. I was going to do it myself, but didn't have the time between trips, so I had it done. Cost me right at $800. The hoses looked OK but the fan belt was on the verge of going. Had quite a number of major cracks, don't wait too long. We use our gen to power the house air when traveling, keeps the whole coach cool not just the front.

I may wait until fall and get it done. I've decided not to try it myself. Did you use a Cummins/Onan shop to do the work?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
RLS
Winnebago Owner

I have an Automotive/RV service facility a few miles from the house that is a Onan dealer. I use them on my other vehicles and have been happy with there work, something that is hard to find these days. For generator service I would only use an Onan service facility. The generator is to hard to get to on our coaches and I don't want after market parts that could fail when I am traveling. How many hours do you have on your generator?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
I have an Automotive/RV service facility a few miles from the house that is a Onan dealer. I use them on my other vehicles and have been happy with there work, something that is hard to find these days. For generator service I would only use an Onan service facility. The generator is to hard to get to on our coaches and I don't want after market parts that could fail when I am traveling. How many hours do you have on your generator?

I'm approaching 800 hours. We use it primarily when we do Walmart overnights and when traveling in very hot weather, something we try not to do.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Gary, If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the belts, hoses, and thermostat need to be replaced at 1000 hours.