Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2022, 07:19 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post

I have logged all fuel for over 35K miles, 30K of which included towing.

Average MPG is 8.17.

Great data, cruizerEd.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I get between 7.5 and 8.0 towing jeep jk and usually a full fresh water tank. we also run generator at overnight stops to charge batteries.

2005 journey 36g with cat c7
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:13 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

I see 7.8 to 9.2 mpg. I drive 60 to 65 most of the time (speed limited by the CRV max 65 mph), the journey with toad is in the 28,000# range.

Wind, mountains, and speed are the main reasons for the variation in mpg, I use 8.5 in my RV Life Trip Wizard app for planning fuel stops.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:53 AM   #24
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What are you getting with your Adventurer? I get 6.2 mpg towing and this includes all idling and generator operation - not just driving. I’ve kept rigorous track of every gallon put in the RV for 5-years+.

Why have I done that? I have no idea but now I feel I must do this without fail.
Deep down,,, inside,, there's a little gear head in there somewhere. LOL
Those that are into how everything works will do that. LOL
Pro drag racing run Top Dragster, raced boats, put chevy motors in pintos back in the early 80s. its all part of the equation in knowing what you have is all about. Down load data off the computer after every race. Spend more time in front a monitor than I do the 4 second run.

In answer to your question OP yes but the catch is getting the newer diesels.
What funds the fun has been trucking. 8 million miles of it . 66 still riding hard.

Going to explain what brings you fuel millage so grab a beer and enjoy.
Newer diesels have more torque less HP. Friend that drivers for Christian tours out of Greensboro NC drives the nicest newest prevost on the market. Those motors have 430 hp 1650 pounds of torque.
IN the 90s only a 550 hp motor would have that much torque. Listen to this part. You have to burn fuel to get torque. Torque moves weigh not HP.
Just a example our pickups. Rememeber the Dodge 5.9. Back in the early 2000s those motors didn't have much more torque then they did HP. 375 hp maybe 500 pounds of torque. Traded for a 2014 6.7 has the same hp just 900 pounds of torque.
By keeping the HP lower torque going up diesel motors have really inproved the fuel millage.
I retired, now drive part time which mean's I work more than I want to, but the truck I drive has a 430 hp 1450 pounds of torque motor in it. Its a 2013 Same motor now in 2023 like the prevost I mentioned has 1650 torque. Truck beside me is another one of our trucks, its a 1999. Has a 450 hp with only 1450 pounds of torque. Same as my 430 does in a 12 year newer truck. Following me?
Brown truck with the older motor gets 4.6 to 4.8 mpg. White one my day cab gets 6 to 7. Newer technology in diesels is what you are going to have to get to get the better fuel millage. My friend that drives for Christian Tours. That bus gets 8.4 mpg. Biggest heaviest nicest longest prevost bus out there. 2023 motor.

One thing I would advise you if your really concerned with the fuel millage and buying a new toy. (RV) Keep the HP down. Used "D" cruise , and if you ever driven anything that has a econo mode on it , they are slow to get up to speed. There's a reason.
I"m just like creativepart I"ll know everything there is to know about everyting on this RV. or another one of the toys I have. What gear heads do.

Its part of the fun to me to play with it make it get better fuel milllage go faster run smoother by chaning something, , its a driver thing more than anything else.
Perfect example. I have a 32 mile drive on back country roads to work. Only one stop and turn.
Drive a XTS Caddy. 2017. Buy backing the speed down to 58 mph cranking up the tunes, and starting off slower I"m getting 32 mpg driving that big caddy. Found the sweet spot on that dodge diesel to.

Question is are you willing to move up that much in years spend that money for the newer diesel motors to have that new technology.
By chaning the way you drive you can make some wild things happen.
Ran husband and wife teem back in the 90s to Washington state from NC. Made 4 trips a month two on week off two on. We were paid to fly. Truck adv 3.8 mpg. Govn contract.
Still know the guys that work at the company trucks with the newer technology motors are now getting 6 mpg running 4 to 5 mph over the speed limit. Same reason so many compains have cut their trucks down to 65 mpg. Swift use to roll at 62 back in the 80s and 90s. Yes they were in everyones way.
In diesels. HP means >>> its going to burn fuel.
Keep the hp down , your tail in the seat, stopping and starting means a lot.
Keeping that left door shut will suprise you in fuel savings.
Remember HP is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how much of it you take out.
Good luck and post a picture of the new toy when you get it. We all in this pay to play game together.

PS. One more thing. Remember when we all laughed at OBAMA for saying pump your tires up for fuel millage?. He was right. That didn't mean I voted for him. LMBO
Run your tires at max air pressure. Sorry but yes the folks that build those tires know more than we do. LOL
Even in drag racing it makes a lot of difference in rolling resistance.
Most run 5 pounds of air in the slicks. I played with it Went to 5.25, then 5.75 ended up at 6.25 For the record at 6.5 pounds of pressure I blow the slicks. Still have the video of it with the tire shake. You not only record the data you got the video to back it up.
Picked up 15/100 of a second on a run. iN racing that is huge. Last company I drove for before retiring had a monitor on the truck monitored all 18 tires. If one droped down 15 percent I would get a phone call. Stop check the tire. NO KIDDING> All new trucks use internet now to connect the computers to our brake down guys by central dispatch. . They can look up the codes while your riding talking to them on the phone. See whats going on with those motors trainsmillions and everything else onboard.
Keep the tire pressure at max. Front and rears. yes it rides a little smoother dropping the front tire pessure down a tad but it also eats those puppys up. You will lose 1/3 the millage dropping tire pressure down to make it ride better.
Precheck that TOY. (RV) know what your driving before you get in it. It will save you money and assure a happy safe trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	329944935_1374264170040876_283851273669137509_n.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	185273  
Old 03-11-2023, 08:38 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

No 12v on 7 pin connector going to tow

Refernce my 2006 36 ft Journey.
haven't had problem with 12v going to tow for charging but after taking it out of storage I see that my 12v is missing. I have checked fuses. Wires are in sleeve so I can't trace it back into RV.
I tried checking winnebago wiring diagrams but could not see where there was anything for this.

If anyone has idea where I might troubleshoot please give me a shout. Thanks
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #26
Just Trying to Help

jabass-

See my post (link here) on the similar thread you created over at iRV2.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:24 PM   #27
2007 Journey 36SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Ultra View Post
I am sure this topic has been discussed numerous times, but here goes. We currently have a 2019 Adventurer 36Z. The MPG while towing is pretty bad (towing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited). I am curious from any Journey owners, particularly 40R models, what kind of mileage you get, both with and without towing. We are thinking of upgrading to a Journey 40R, but not really sure if it is worth the extra cost. I know fuel savings (in any) would not make up the difference, but I also know there are other advantages to the diesel that could also factor in.
Thank you for the help.
Jerry
I have a 2007 Journey 36SG and tow my 2016 Wrangler Sport. Running 1900-2000 on the tach, cruise control set, #2 Diesel and I usually run between 9.5-10.5 MPG on the dash meter. Took me awhile to find the sweet spot for RPM but at the price of diesel it was worth it. A lot of people pass me, most of them more than once. I have tried #1 Diesel and it seems to bump me up about 1.5 MPG. I notice no difference in MPG with or without the Wrangler on behind.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:23 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Have you verified the dash number with the actual math. There are tes that the dash on my 36sg shows up to 11 mpg, but the actual math always has me in the mid 8s, sometimes 9
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:46 AM   #29
2007 Journey 36SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Have you verified the dash number with the actual math. There are tes that the dash on my 36sg shows up to 11 mpg, but the actual math always has me in the mid 8s, sometimes 9
Yes, I check the math periodically and it’s usually higher than the dash by .5-1
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 11:01 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

that's amazing mileage, which engine in your 36SG?

Tags
towing, journey, tow, fuel