Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I'm debugging a cable issue with my Kingdome and still chasing an intermittent leak which is requiring removal of the front TV. I've decided not to put that heavy beast back in the hole and replace it with either a 27"- 32" LCD.

I've done a search but don't find may threads with photos. I am interested in hearing from anyone else who has done this and would like to see the finished mods to the overhead cabinet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm debugging a cable issue with my Kingdome and still chasing an intermittent leak which is requiring removal of the front TV. I've decided not to put that heavy beast back in the hole and replace it with either a 27"- 32" LCD.

I've done a search but don't find may threads with photos. I am interested in hearing from anyone else who has done this and would like to see the finished mods to the overhead cabinet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I can't find my pix right now but will search. What I did was simply put in a brace across the opening, attached it firmly with screws and gluem and then put a very heavy duty articulating arm mount on it. We put a 32in Samsung LCD on that. It is big enough to cover the entire old opening unless the TV is moved to the extreme right or left. The warning is don't scrimp on the mount...the cheap ones are not sturdy enough and won't hold the TV in place. I think our mount was around $200 at Circuit City. Steve
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check out this thread by SargeW. He did a great job!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger.....You will not go wrong following Sarge's Tv install. I followed his install to every exact detail and could not be any more happy with the final result. I recomend anyone copy his install, as I am sure many have. I would have posted my pictures as Sarge asked me to, however I have not learned how to do that yet. Thanks again SargeW.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the tips and links, guys. I've sent Sarge a PM because I believe from his photos that his '06 came with a flat screen CRT, so the front of the cabinet opening is flat. On the earlier models, the TV's were 25" CRT's with the normal curve in the CRT and TV cabinet, so the opening has a radius on the front. I wanted to go to 32" but it would have to be mounted on the outside of the opening (my inside max width is 29", unless I want to start cutting on everything.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

smlranger:
I replaced my Sony CRT with a Sony LCD 32". No changes in the Wood Facia. I cut out some of the metal brace, installed a new bracket that attached to the metal bracket and used a fixed wall mount to attach the LCD TV. Simple and easy. It looks like it was manufactured this way. I have posted pictures if you do a search for my post sometime in April.
I will look for it and see if I can post the pictures. Mine is not a Journey but I think the CRT TV mounting is the same.

Try this link. LCD TV Mounting
Frank O.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

In the photos section search under Florida Guy.I posted those about a year ago. Our TV was the same as yours with the curved front. I did the install (26" Sharp LCD HD) but took the wood frame to a furniture maker with the dimensions to be modified. Cost me about a $100 to have him modify the frame. Sorry I don't have pics of the install, but at the time I didn't have a camera. The TV picture is awesome and I liked the way the frame turned out. Good luck on your project.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

OK guys, another technical question. How can I determine that a TV is truly digital? I have a 26" Samsung LCD HD TV that we bought about 2 years ago for this purpose but it ended up in our stick house. I'm thinking all HD TV's must have digital tuners....correct?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

smlranger,
Just because a tv has a digital tuner, it is not necessarily a digital tv. Digital tuners have been on analog tv receivers for many years. You want to be able to receive digital tv signals. All tv's sold in the US in the last year are required by law to be able to receive digital tv. To complicate matters, there are 3 "definitions": standard definition (SD); enhanced definition (ED); and high definition (HD). The term "definition" only refers to the resolution of the broadcast picture, and I cannot personally see any difference in the 3. To net it out, you do not need an HD TV to receive digital tv, you need a digital tv, or a converter box that will convert digital signals to analog signals that your old tv can use. If you are unlike me and have very keen eyesight that can discern fine detail in tv pictures, HDTV may be your choice. On the other hand, if you are like me, being able to see the picture and hear the sound and enjoy a program is good enough.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my front TV with a 40" LCD...I did have to rebuild the cabinet a little. I have posted pics on the photo section if you look in my photos (carrollwhite gallery).

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

smlranger:
The one specification you need to look for is the type of tuner you have. As ChasA stated they have been building Digital sets for some time -- some without tuners however. If you look at your TV specs, they will/should state the tuner channel coverage in Analog and Digital. If no Digital channels are noted than I would suspect that the set is not Digital Tuner capable. This only means that you will not be able to get over the air signals.
Frank O.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #13

If your remote will turn the channel to (for example) 5, then 5.1 then 5.2, you are digital. If you can only tune into full numbers (ie. 5,6,7,8,9 etc) you are analog.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
smlranger:
The one specification you need to look for is the type of tuner you have. As ChasA stated they have been building Digital sets for some time -- some without tuners however. If you look at your TV specs, they will/should state the tuner channel coverage in Analog and Digital. If no Digital channels are noted than I would suspect that the set is not Digital Tuner capable. This only means that you will not be able to get over the air signals.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I checked the specs but there is no specific mention about the tuner. There are references to NTSC so I figured it had no digital tuner. I called Samsung tech support and they were very specific about this particular model...they said 'it was a digital set.' When I asked specifically if I could get over the air digital signals without a converter box after Feb 09, their answer was 'yes.'

I purchased this TV in Sept. 05 so I am skeptical in spite of what Samsung told me. I will get a couple of converters just in case.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What model do you have, I will take a look online. I have a Samsung in my home and love it. It is newer and has the correct tuner.
Frank O.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
What model do you have, I will take a look online. I have a Samsung in my home and love it. It is newer and has the correct tuner.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Model LN-R268W.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">LN-R268W </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes your TV tuner is Digital Ready. On page 2 of your manual it references "Digital Ready" for broadcast signals.
Here is a link to the manual on the Samsung Website: Manual
Frank O.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Smlranger

Don't know if it will help or not but, if you will click on the "photo" selection button at the top of the page and then do a search by user id --- dknig288, you will pull up the pics of the conversion that I did on my MH from the old TV to a digital TV. I have posted both the ones from the front and rear conversions. I know I was glad to get rid of the heavy overhead weight up front and the larger screen in the bedroom is much nicer.

As a thought, you may be able to use an adaption of what I did in the bedroom for the up front conversion which will allow you to mount a larger TV up front.

When looking for the new TV, I looked for models with the speakers under the screen which allowed me to use a larger LCD screen.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David K:
Smlranger

Don't know if it will help or not but, if you will click on the "photo" selection button at the top of the page and then do a search by user id --- dknig288, you will pull up the pics of the conversion that I did on my MH from the old TV to a digital TV. I have posted both the ones from the front and rear conversions. I know I was glad to get rid of the heavy overhead weight up front and the larger screen in the bedroom is much nicer.

As a thought, you may be able to use an adaption of what I did in the bedroom for the up front conversion which will allow you to mount a larger TV up front.

When looking for the new TV, I looked for models with the speakers under the screen which allowed me to use a larger LCD screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, thanks for the info. You install looks very nice. Again, it appears your UA had a wider TV originally than my 02 Journey. The metal 'box' on mine is not wide enough to accomodate the LCD TV so I will have to mount it just outside the finished opening...unless, of course, I want to take a sawzall to the metal box and cut some of it away.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

smlranger,
I looked at the physical dimensions of your LCD and it looks to be the same size as mine. If the wood facia fits the width of your TV the rest is simple. I had to make to short cuts in the metal surround at the very front of the support. It did not weaken the support at all. This allows you to mount the TV behind the facia and looks like it was designed for the TV. Take a look at my pics. The job took a couple of hours and is rock solid. If you want to mount the TV outside the facia then ignore this reply.
Frank O.