Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys,

We have a problem with the front panel (generator access) coming off again. Our dealer fixed it last year (under warranty), but now it is popping off again. It seems to be just clued on, any solutions for a permanent fix?

Thanks.

boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys,

We have a problem with the front panel (generator access) coming off again. Our dealer fixed it last year (under warranty), but now it is popping off again. It seems to be just clued on, any solutions for a permanent fix?

Thanks.

boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #3

HERE is a recent post about someone using JB weld, and someone actually using screws. There are some other threads when I searched.

I couldn't find anyone that had a specific glue that was top knotch except the JB weld post.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem with a new Meridian (sister coach). Dealer had to grind off the old material and re-apply with a kit from the factory. Looked to me like a heavy duty double sided tape. Hopefully it will hold up.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

bolderado, Since the panel was fixed under warranty they should fix it again. From the pictures it looks like they didn't use enough adhesive. They should clean off both surfaces and rough up the metal surface before applying the adhesive supplied by Winnebago. Good Luck with the fix.
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Have heard of back panel coming off. The fellow eventually used pop rivets.

Rose
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We are having the same problem, only with our rear engine panel. We also have a Journey.
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My rear engine panel and lower cap were repaired at the factory about a month ago. Only loose in a few places, but the tech ground off all the brackets and mating surfaces, and used enough adhesive to get a good flow through the holes in the brackets. He used a pea-green colored adhesive. Must be something new they're using in high heat areas cause I don't have that type anywhere else on the coach.

I'm out of warranty, but they did it for free as "good will". Only been about 2k miles, but so far it's rock solid...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Seems to be a common problem, my '04 Horizon has had the same problem. When we bought it almost 2 years ago they fixed all the places I could find and I think they had Winne cover it.

This summer I found my rear cap on one side and 3 points on my engine access door had seperated. I had a local body shop fix it and they used the same material that Lazy days used when we bought it. It is a shinny black and is holding so far. It comes in a twin tube and they have a special applicator gun which mixes the 2 parts as it is pushed out. The original glue on mine is a tan color.

I may have been able to get Winne to cover the repair but didn't bother to try.

I would have expected Winne to have overcome this problem within one years production, don't know why this is still an ongoing fault.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arkaussie:
Seems to be a common problem, my '04 Horizon has had the same problem. When we bought it almost 2 years ago they fixed all the places I could find and I think they had Winne cover it.

This summer I found my rear cap on one side and 3 points on my engine access door had seperated. I had a local body shop fix it and they used the same material that Lazy days used when we bought it. It is a shinny black and is holding so far. It comes in a twin tube and they have a special applicator gun which mixes the 2 parts as it is pushed out. The original glue on mine is a tan color.

I may have been able to get Winne to cover the repair but didn't bother to try.

I would have expected Winne to have overcome this problem within one years production, don't know why this is still an ongoing fault. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gluing plastic to metal has always been problematic and an error prone process. There is always the problem of oils/waxes used during milling/moulding operations left behind because of weak/diluted prep solutions or wipes becoming saturated and not discarded early enough. There is also the problem of oil transfered through handling and cross contamination. Humidity and dew point are also a factor that can cause the bond to fail from the condensation of the moisture in the air or the persperation of the workers.

I had to be like a nanny at times reminding people to wash their hands and go through the prep process again before gluing a part. Constantly had to chastise workers for picking up material by themselves and holding it to their bodies or touching the application areas for the glue, contaminating it with sweat and skin oils.

Safety for the workers and the environment has its drawbacks too as the adhesives no longer have the solvent base they used to and may be more prone to issues from condensation, residual oils and waxes.

They can only solve the problem for the moment but as the weather, personel, formulations, suppliers and regulations change so will the problems and longevity of the solutions.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I hit a turkey vulture on the way down to Kerrville, TX last year and broke the epoxy glue that held the hinge in place.

I was traveling 72mph when I hit it, I am very lucky that it was low enough not to come through the windshield.

My local repair shop fiberglassed the hinge in place.

I think the repair was about $150, but, I am sure that it is permanent.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Neil,
I understand the problems however all manufacturing has it's complications and ongoing problems but they are usually overcome. They used to set windshields in rubber now they are glued in place and I imagine that was a learning curve to perfect to a level of satisfaction.

If the gluing process is too problematic and cannot be improved then the design needs to be changed to use a totally different approach.

I guess my comments were based on the thought that Winne makes a good reliable product over a lot of years and I am very happy with the 2 I have had for a total of seven years. My next MH will also most likely be a Winne. I am just surprised that this problem has gone on for so many years.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I too had mine epoxied in place by the dealer..took it off the coach and he did it at his shop and I reattched it and had no more problems..
That was on a O3 Horizon 39QD that never got past 65 on the speedometer. Never did hit 72 nor did we hit a buzzard. A car and a tree is the best we could do.
Sides we only have deer in Virginia...
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote