Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

My door awning seemed loose and when I checked, it only has two small screws holding it on!! Apparently, this is not uncommon as I read on the Newmar forum about someone having a door awning fall of which only had two screws.

I'm planning to add more screws but do wonder if there is any blocking in the wall for awning attachment. Anyone else had to deal with this issue?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My door awning seemed loose and when I checked, it only has two small screws holding it on!! Apparently, this is not uncommon as I read on the Newmar forum about someone having a door awning fall of which only had two screws.

I'm planning to add more screws but do wonder if there is any blocking in the wall for awning attachment. Anyone else had to deal with this issue?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine has an awning rail rigidly attached to the sidewall above the awning. The awning engages this rail and hangs from it. The 2 screws are just to keep the awning housing from pivoting outward or moving forward/backward in the rail. They don't support any weight. All the weight is carried by the rail. If you have the install/owner's manual it should show if yours is mounted the same way. Hope it is because mine seems very secure. Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

sm ...

I have had to have my door awning repaired a couple of times ... I was there when the tech removed it ...

As Tom said there are two screws that keep the awning in place ... but it slides forward on a rail that is as long as the awning ... it took two techs to slide it forward to clear the track and then bring it down ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

OK guys, do I feel like a dummy. This evening I discovered what you describe...the awning assembly is hung from a rail that is firmly attached to the coach side wall. While the two #8 screws cannot really be tightened well, it does not appear they support any of the awning weight.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
I helped | retired moderator

I was the one with the door awning that fell off.

Mine too hangs from an awning rail, but that rail is mounted on a 1/2" thick plastic spacer plate. It's a Dutch Star thing.

The 2 screws were also screwed into the plastic spacer plate.

The force from breezes and mild wind puts enough force on the extended awning to pull those 2 screws out. Once that happened, the awning rotated up and out of the awning rail.

I now have 5 screws, and so far so good.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just went through the same thing. I had all new window awnings installed, replace the fabric on the main power awning and replace the door power awning with the same brand awning only with the hand crank. I was looking at the 2 screws holding it on wondering the same thing. I got out the ladder to check it and also found the rail holding it on. I am still not sure if this is enough or whether I am going to add additional screws. I sure like the new awnings.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote