Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey body mounts

I have a 2002 Journey DL 39QD. I had it in the Gaffney Service Center last week for some maintenance, and I found out that 2 of the rear body mounts (the brackets that hold the body to the chassis) in the rear wheel well area are broken. The body has actually settled a little (doesn't look like more than an inch if that much) in the rear enough to push my exhaust system out of whack a little. Just trying to figure out my next move. There are quite a few body mounts holding the body to the chassis, so there isn't a risk of the body falling off , but I'm wondering what it would take to get it fixed. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening on a Winnebago?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

A call to Winnebago Customer Service may produce some helpful information. If it's happened before they certainly have heard about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Happened to me as well. Bought a 2000 Journey 36G off Ebay and when delivered found both body mounts just behind the rear wheels broken off the frame. I believe the result of poor welding at the factory.

Bathroom floor and bedroom closet floor had sagged about 1 inch (previous owner had cut the bathroom door to fit the now crooked doorway).

To fix it we had the inner wheel wells cut out, had the floor jacked into position, welded in uprights to hold the floor at the proper height, then rewelded the brackets to the frame.

We also found the aluminum framing that supports the cargo bay walls broken off due to the sagging as well. To repair we had clam shell brackets made that fit over the floor subframing at the body mounting bolts to hold it all in alignment.

Replaced the fender well and you would never know it happened.
mhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

mhughes,

Sounds like a fun process! Where did you have that done - truck repair shop, RV repair shop, etc.? Did you get any help from Winnebago?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Did it in my driveway over a couple of weekends.

Didn't ask Winnebago about it since I did buy it used "as is" ( don't think I'll buy another off ebay without having it inspected first ).

Took longer to think about how to fix it than actually doing it.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I did hire a young fellow from a local custom motorcycle shop to do the fabrication and welding. Money well spent.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Think you could send your guy on over to Georgia?? Seems to me like it wouldn't be all that hard to figure this out. For me, it's just a matter of figuring out where to get it done.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Any welding and fabrication shop should be able to help you out. Find out who does welding and fabrication for agriculture in your area, they are usually really good at that kind of thing. Next would be a shop that mounts truck boxes and does trailers.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughes View Post
Happened to me as well. Bought a 2000 Journey 36G off Ebay and when delivered found both body mounts just behind the rear wheels broken off the frame. I believe the result of poor welding at the factory.

Bathroom floor and bedroom closet floor had sagged about 1 inch (previous owner had cut the bathroom door to fit the now crooked doorway).

To fix it we had the inner wheel wells cut out, had the floor jacked into position, welded in uprights to hold the floor at the proper height, then rewelded the brackets to the frame.

We also found the aluminum framing that supports the cargo bay walls broken off due to the sagging as well. To repair we had clam shell brackets made that fit over the floor subframing at the body mounting bolts to hold it all in alignment.

Replaced the fender well and you would never know it happened.
We seem to have a similar problem at our shop with a customer's 2006 Journey regarding the aluminum support bracket. We were hoping to install a new cross support to reinforce the floor but we have no way of raising the floor (for access) without causing more problems. RV body shops don't want to work on it and I really want to help this customer.. Winnebego was not much help. I've sent them pics but all they do is agree that it needs to be fixed and our idea is good but will not take any responsility for their product. I'm sure there are many others out there with this problem. It is truely a poor design. I would love to see pics of your repair or perhaps discuss your procedure. I'm reachable at 530-241-1010
Hope to hear from you, Thanks, Rob
CowboyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'm sure that you can find someone in GA to do the job, but if you can't, there are a couple of independent shops in Red Bay, AL (Tiffin factory) that do this type repair on a regular basis.

It's VERY IMPORTANT that proper procedures are followed before doing any welding on your chassis. Think, engine and transmission electronics at several thousand to replace.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey