Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Journey BIM location?

Can anyone tell me where the battery isolation monitor is on my 2011 Journey Express 34Y? It is described in my operator manual, and I know what it should look like from a Google search, but can't seem to locate it in the battery compartment or near the converter either. I want to make sure I'm not overcharging either coach or chassis batteries, as this is designed to prevent. Is there an easy way to tell if it's present and operational? Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Page 4 of the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows its location.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Most of the electrical equipment connected to the chassis batteries is in the DS compartment aft of the rear wheels. Mine has a battery mode solenoid which performs the same function less the electronics on yours. It is mounted behind the metal panel with the slide fuses etc. You need to remove the fuse panel and then the remainder of the metal panel to access or replace mine. It is not as difficult as it sounds but there are several screws. If you dont like electrical arcing when removing the fuse panel, be sure to disconnect both batteries before you handle/remove the fuse panel. Good luck and take your time getting into the area the first time.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
Can anyone tell me where the battery isolation monitor is on my 2011 Journey Express 34Y? It is described in my operator manual, and I know what it should look like from a Google search, but can't seem to locate it in the battery compartment or near the converter either. I want to make sure I'm not overcharging either coach or chassis batteries, as this is designed to prevent. Is there an easy way to tell if it's present and operational? Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks!
John, do you have a "One Place" panel? If you do, push the "Battery" button. If the voltages look good the system is working correctly. You will see these change throughout the day. The house battery will be changing more drastically over time than the engine battery, obviously.

Your charger determines the voltages needed for each stage of charging. When a battery bank drops below the preset trigger voltage of the relay it switches to connect the charger to the thirsty battery. Very cleaver system.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 03-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I believe the BIM is behind the breaker panel, but since it appears to be working correctly, do not think its worth venturing in to check. I was just perplexed as to where it was, and from my earlier superficial perusal of the circuit diagram, thought it was supposed to be near the battery disconnect relay - which it apparently is, just hiding behind a panel. Now that I know it truly exists, I think I can stop worrying about leaving the coach plugged in to shore power for extended periods of time as the BIM should prevent boiling off the batteries.

Spring is coming, getting ready to roll in Wisconsin!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks all for your helpful responses. I believe the BIM is behind the breaker panel, but since it appears to be working correctly, do not think its worth venturing in to check. I was just perplexed as to where it was, and from my earlier superficial perusal of the circuit diagram, thought it was supposed to be near the battery disconnect relay - which it apparently is, just hiding behind a panel. Now that I know it truly exists, I think I can stop worrying about leaving the coach plugged in to shore power for extended periods of time as the BIM should prevent boiling off the batteries.

Spring is coming, getting ready to roll in Wisconsin!
another good day when things DO go right!

John, have you considered using mineral oil in your batteries? Many of us do and it is a carry over from Edison's crew maintaining his electric rail systems. I do this in all of my flooded cell batteries. You can find it in the laxative section of any pharmacy.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 03-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice Rick! I had heard of this before, and will read up some more. As you may know, the battery bank does not slide out on this model making cell water maintenance more difficult. I was of the opinion that the BIM minimizes boil off since it only charges when below 12 V.

Here's to a warm and sunny spring for all, thanks again!
Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Just make sure you get Mineral Oil and not ex-lax..
Know what happens if you give your battery ex-lax ?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Rick! I had heard of this before, and will read up some more. As you may know, the battery bank does not slide out on this model making cell water maintenance more difficult. I was of the opinion that the BIM minimizes boil off since it only charges when below 12 V.

Here's to a warm and sunny spring for all, thanks again!
I am not certain where they are on your coach. I have AGM,s. You have flooded house batteries. Mine are under my basement drawer and would be a major pain to water if they were not AGM. In the electrical specs for our coaches I see two listings for yours; 1000w inverter and 80A converter charger. Is this an option for your rig model?

About warm... We drove through two snowstorms yesterday getting to Grants Pass, OR from CA on I-5. Rain most of the rest of the way and more rain into later this week. So much for warm & sunny!

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	121338  
Old 03-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Hey Jeff. Sounds like a "RV" black water issue to me.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Let me guess, something messy?
Old 03-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am not certain where they are on your coach. I have AGM,s. You have flooded house batteries. Mine are under my basement drawer and would be a major pain to water if they were not AGM. In the electrical specs for our coaches I see two listings for yours; 1000w inverter and 80A converter charger. Is this an option for your rig model?

About warm... We drove through two snowstorms yesterday getting to Grants Pass, OR from CA on I-5. Rain most of the rest of the way and more rain into later this week. So much for warm & sunny!

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Thanks a lot Rick, sorry to hear of your snow piercing voyage, sounds kind of fun to me! We are still winterized, but planning our first overnight trip April 8 - so it better be warm (enough) by then to use our plumbing

You are correct in that I have flooded batteries, and yes they are a pain to get at. When we bought the unit in January (38k miles, 5 years old), the dealer replaced the house batteries, and I paid to have the chassis batteries replaced so I could start fresh. It's just you read so much great advice and preventative maintenance tips, that I can't see how anyone has time to do all these things. I hate working with batteries and was hoping I really didn't have to check very often since the newer systems prevent continuous high float charging (which is why I wanted to make sure I really had a BIM installed). Regarding your other points, I have the low end Xantrax XM1000 inverter, which I have also tracked out in the Winnie circuit diagrams (surprised it only powers TV's and one outlet by the copilot!!). The previous owner replaced the stock Xantrax converter with a Parallax 5490TC converter a couple of years ago. Everything seems to be working well on this coach, but I am still learning all the details.

Thanks to all of you and this awesome forum, don't know how I would figure this all out on my own
Old 03-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks a lot Rick, sorry to hear of your snow piercing voyage, sounds kind of fun to me! We are still winterized, but planning our first overnight trip April 8 - so it better be warm (enough) by then to use our plumbing

You are correct in that I have flooded batteries, and yes they are a pain to get at. When we bought the unit in January (38k miles, 5 years old), the dealer replaced the house batteries, and I paid to have the chassis batteries replaced so I could start fresh. It's just you read so much great advice and preventative maintenance tips, that I can't see how anyone has time to do all these things. I hate working with batteries and was hoping I really didn't have to check very often since the newer systems prevent continuous high float charging (which is why I wanted to make sure I really had a BIM installed). Regarding your other points, I have the low end Xantrax XM1000 inverter, which I have also tracked out in the Winnie circuit diagrams (surprised it only powers TV's and one outlet by the copilot!!). The previous owner replaced the stock Xantrax converter with a Parallax 5490TC converter a couple of years ago. Everything seems to be working well on this coach, but I am still learning all the details.

Thanks to all of you and this awesome forum, don't know how I would figure this all out on my own
My toilet decided to go into 'flood the bowl' mode today. So, working on these things just comes with the territory. Hitting the road with a fresh set of batteries is a great idea. Keeping them in tip top shape is another good idea. It sounds like you are off to a good start.

We RVers are a strange herd of travelers. We tend to be enthusiastic about helping others. It seems not many of us have ever met a stranger. So, happy trails, John, and many of them.

Rick Y

Tags
cat, journey