Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey basement weight capacity?

Heading out on our first trip in our '02 Journey. I've got a toolbox that probably weights 90#. Is it ok to put in a basement compartment? I can't tell how sturdy they are, and we'll be traveling about an hour on fairly rough dirt roads. Any problem putting this relatively heavy box in the basement?

Thanks,

Ed
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ed,

Great question. According to Winnebago Industries, you can put up to 350# per compartment. Your tool box is well within limits. Very smart of you for checking.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I haul a lot more than that in mine, no Problem.

Where did you find a dirt road that you could travel for an hour on. I thought I lived way back in the woods.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Ed,

Great question. According to Winnebago Industries, you can put up to 350# per compartment. Your tool box is well within limits. Very smart of you for checking.
I wonder if that applies to the compartments in the slideout? I doubt it.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

OP-I hope those dirt roads don't stir up a lot of dust as you'll be cleaning your radiator for sure after that trip. I once drove on a dirt road for only about 5 minutes and boy things really got dirty in the engine compartment. I would highly recommend you turn off your basement air if you planned on running it while on those roads. I didn't and boy it stirred up even more dirt and dust. Also, try to keep your rpms down as that will help with the dust.
On the subject of weight, your slide out compartments are rated 500pds as per the Winny manual.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I wonder if that applies to the compartments in the slideout? I doubt it.
What do they define as a "compartment": Each door, or the entire cavity that the door(s) open into?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
What do they define as a "compartment": Each door, or the entire cavity that the door(s) open into?
Winnebago says you can put 350 pounds in the slide out "StorMor" compartment. That compartment is the equivalent size of about three regular compartments on mine.

As far as the other compartments go I have never seen or heard anything from Winnebago on that. It might be worth a call to customer service to get the official answer.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Clarification: the 500pds. is for the slide out compartment on my Meridian which is two compartments that connect together but has two full size doors to access. Hope that helps.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just returned from our journey to Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area / Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. The coach handled the weight in the compartments well. We towed our 16' enclosed trailer with five off road bikes & 60 gallons of fuel. We like to go pretty far into the park, all of which is sand roads.

Next trip is vintage racing at Willow Springs Raceway. Same trailer will be filled with '71 Triumph GT6 & spares.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
Clarification: the 500pds. is for the slide out compartment on my Meridian which is two compartments that connect together but has two full size doors to access. Hope that helps.
The actual compartment may support that much weight but I wonder what it does to those little bitty nylon glides the slide-out rides on going in/out? I've been reading where several owners are having to have those replaced due to breaking, mine included but not replaced yet. As I have read, it can take as much as two days labor to replace them (as done in Forest City). And the heaviest thing I carry in my slide-out compartment is about 200 feet of water hose.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

i better look at my again, i could be pushing the limits with a ladder, port sat dish, tool box, and all that other crap we carry
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote