Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Was looking at coaches today at a dealer. I have been looking at Alfa and Winnebego. Decided to check out Monaco too. Dealers can tend to feed you lines.. , The Monaco guys was that the basement units get the motorhomes all dirty because they suck the air from the bottom of the coach. I find this hard to believe. I argued filtering with him.

So, I would like to hear from the true source.. the owners. What do you think about this and what do you like or dislike about the basement units. The other comment was that the 27000 or so BTU is not effective in 100+ weather becasue the air comes out of the floor.. I thought AC still came out of the ceiling on Journey. We have looked at a lot coaches, yet we are very drawn to the Jouney 32T or 34H.

Thanks in advance.
Fixit

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Was looking at coaches today at a dealer. I have been looking at Alfa and Winnebego. Decided to check out Monaco too. Dealers can tend to feed you lines.. , The Monaco guys was that the basement units get the motorhomes all dirty because they suck the air from the bottom of the coach. I find this hard to believe. I argued filtering with him.

So, I would like to hear from the true source.. the owners. What do you think about this and what do you like or dislike about the basement units. The other comment was that the 27000 or so BTU is not effective in 100+ weather becasue the air comes out of the floor.. I thought AC still came out of the ceiling on Journey. We have looked at a lot coaches, yet we are very drawn to the Jouney 32T or 34H.

Thanks in advance.
Fixit

Old 03-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

All I can say is: consider the source

Like all A/C systems, the basement unit is a closed system. It just recirculates the inside air so how is the dirty air supposed to get in? In fact, our units do an outstanding job of cleaning the inside air and use filters like the ones found on home central air units.

The A/C and heatpump both use the ceiling vents, only the LP heat uses the floor registers. However, I believe the Alfa uses the floor vents for A/C. That was one reason I chose my Journey over the Alfa.

There was just a long thread here (probably still on the 1st or 2nd page of the forum) about the good and bad of the basement unit. The main complaint is that some don't like the noise under the bed. We like the constant hum that drowns out outside noises. We also like the lack of overhead noise when watching TV, etc.

This is my 6th MH and the first with basement air. I have never had the cooling power and even distribution that this unit provides. Not even close.

Good luck on your search!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tom is right. The Monaco guy has a loose screw. When I bought my Winnebago, my brother was a service writer at the local Monaco dealer. They offered me a coach at dealer cost plus $200. My brother advised me not to buy Monaco. I took his advice and bought Winnebago. I am very very happy with my decision.

The basement air is like a central system in a house. Roof units are like window units in a home. The basement air has dual compressors that are controlled by both the thermostat and the energy managemnt system. This allows you to run on 30 amps and never trip the campground breaker. I live in heat and humidity. The central unit does a better job of cooling and dehumidifing. In winter, I use very very little propane, the heat pumps keep us cozy warm.
Walt
Old 03-20-2005, 05:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As Tom and Kiwi have stated, it works very well and is very quiet in the living area of the coach. We do have a little problem keeping the coach cold in the very hot months, but it does cool it down from the outside temp. fairly well. I think part of the problem is we are 40 feet with 3 slides and have a darker colored paint scheme(which picks up heat). You should have no problem in a 32 or 34 foot coach.

Still would not change it.

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Excuse me going off topic for a moment, but I wanted to mention to Walt about his question, weeks ago, about raising the entry step to get to the HWH stuff.

About 2 weeks after you resolved your problem, I looked under my top entry step and the nut was already off. So, I lifted the step and viola! there was the whole HWH package right in front of me!! Wish you had asked that question before I spent an hour UNDER my unit reconnecting a wire

Fixit, if you end up with a Journey, that's something to remember. HWH hydralics operate the jacks and slides. The control unit, resevoir, and all the solenoid valves are right under the top entry step. Take off 1 nut under the edge of the step and it hinges right up allowing easy access.

I think the HWH package is another point in Winnie's favor. I was looking at a Safari (Monaco product) and it uses a single front jack. I know there are arguments of 3 vs 4 jacks, but I prefer the 4 jack system.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just returned from a trip to Florida using my basement A/C - heat pump and the unit worked flawlessly. I have found that the biggest source of dust is that which llays up on the slide roofs under the slide topper. Remember the slide seal is not going to sweep all that residusl dust off when closing.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Before our Allegro Bus, we had a 2003 Suncruiser with basement air. There's no way that dust from down low is going to get into the basement air unit because it's a sealed system. Either the Monaco salesman is smoking the wrong kind of stuff or else he should be in AG sales pushing manure spreaders.

The basement air receieves cold air from ducts near the floor area of the coach and runs it through a filter to the ducted outlets in the roof. There's nothing wrong with this system. It's different than a good ducted rooftop system but it's no better or worse - just different. If you are being drawn to the Journey coach line, by all means, go for it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Before purchasing our Horizon with basement air we tested the air conditioning of several units at a dealer. After hearing how loud the ceiling air is vs. the basement air, we opted for basement air.

THe dealers comment on dust is just a lot of BS.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I would like to thank all of you for your replies. I was pretty sure this guy was crazy and I informed him that I was going to ask all the member forums. I hope he calls to tell me he found a used coach for me so I can tell him he was wrong. Anyway thanks everyone.

Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 39' Journey with the basement air. After a week in southern Florida, I have to say that I am impressed with the basement air. It is quiet and efficient. One of the things that I really like is that I can change the inside air filter quickly and cheaply. 99 cents for a replacement filter available at Wally World.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Works great in my 39' Horizon with the added plus of 2 less things for low branches to break and 2 less holes in your roof.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

For those of you in the 100+ heat, how does the basement unit do temp. wise. Can you keep it at 73 deg. or so?? Are these 27,000 BTU units???. In my 28' 5th wheel w/ 13,500 BTU A/C I can only cool to 80 or so when it is 106 outside which I am being told is on par for that unit.
Thanks