Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On my 2002 Journey I have 27,000 miles on mostly interstate driving. My filter guage is at 11", second line from the bottom...Engine preforms great in the mountains etc...Should the air filter canister be replaced per maintenance schedule, 24,000 miles or 2 years whichever is sooner?.....thanks for your input....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my 2002 Journey I have 27,000 miles on mostly interstate driving. My filter guage is at 11", second line from the bottom...Engine preforms great in the mountains etc...Should the air filter canister be replaced per maintenance schedule, 24,000 miles or 2 years whichever is sooner?.....thanks for your input....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My rig had the original filter when I got it home so I changed it because it was three years and 31,000 miles, even though the indicator was still showing OK.

Tips: at least in my area, the local FL shop had the best price on the filter (compared to NAPA, Federated). $84.00

Also, you can remove the clamps from the bottom but I just could not get the filter out through the bottom (muffler, etc.). It was relatively easy to remove and reinstall via the engine access under the bed.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hey Smlranger- Thanks for that little tidbit of info. I look at my filter everytime I'm underneith the back end and wonder how in the world that filter is going to come down past the muffler when the time comes. Never thought about looking at it from the top. Its amazing what we newbies to the deisel field can learn from these forums. Keep the info coming.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
200l Wrangler
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster:

I know I've read on this forum that some folks have been able to drop the filter out the bottom on some of the Freightliner/Winne coaches. I do think if I had removed the exhaust hangers and could swing the muffler to the side, it could be done on my rig. However, as I lay on my back with the dirt and soot falling in my face, I decided to try access from above. It was a snap and a lot cleaner.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Gary,I helped my buddy do his 39 Journey the other night....We resembled the character "pig pen" on Charlie Brown when it was all over...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

One of my neighbors came up to where I park the rig while I was doing mine. When I emerged from under the beast, he asked me what I had been doing. I said, 'changing the air filter.' He asked, 'did you change it with your face?'

He is retired from the coal industry and said I looked like I had just come out of the mines.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'll have to take a double look when I get ready to do this. DW has so much stuff stored under the bed I might be able to shift the exhaust to one side easier than removing everything under the bed in order to remove the engine cover. Nice to know I have a couple of options to do this. Worked for my Dad (self employeed auto mechanic) when I was in high school and never did like laying on my back with everything imaginable fallling in your face and trying to hold my arms up in the air for any lenth of time.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes, you should change your air filter per the maintenance schedule even though the filter guage reads 11". The paper in the filter detiorates over time.