Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey 40U rear axle capacity

I see that the 2014 Journey 40U has a rear axle capacity of 23000 lbs. Those of us with the 2011-2013 40U's have a 20000 lb. capacity and even empty are right at the 20000 lb. limit. A call to the Freightliner help line yielded the model # of my rear axle and it was a 19000 lb. axle by axle mfrg. specs. So it seems that after 3 years of making the 40U Winnebago has realized that they had a weight issue with the unit and upgraded to a 23000 lb. axle. So those of use fighting a tight rear axle weight limit what options do we have now that is seems Winnebago has realized that they had a weigh issue all along?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know? Freightliner in Gaffney, SC never indicated a problem when I was there for routine maintenance. I had a full chassis inspection including weighing.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I thought it was a change in the Federal Government limit?? They raised the limit from 20,000 to 23,000 which then allowed the RV industry to increase the rear axle size.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I thought the spec was a 20000# rear axle. Are you saying that is not what you/we have?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Jeffrey,
There is another thread that talks about this. The axle was rated at 19k by the axle company with smaller tires. Winnebago (and other companies) put larger tires on the chassis which increased the axle rating to 20,000. I'll try to find the other thread.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
I thought the spec was a 20000# rear axle. Are you saying that is not what you/we have?
Yes. We do. Have the spec in hand from FCCC. The original poster is concerned about the size being too small.

Do you know of anyone, or is there anyone out there, who has had a rear axle failure do to overloading under normal use? I'd like to see them post here. I am certain there are a from failures from poor maintenance or other abuses.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
GRB
Winnebago Watcher

I was told that a law had been passed to raise the rear axle on a single rear axle RV to 23,000 lbs. but after calling many Highway patrol in other states no one seems to know it and most told me if you are over the 20,000 lb limit you will be sighted and have to unload to remove the overage. And most of the officers told me that a ferderal change and states may not honor it.
GRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

GRB; looking at the 2014 Journey 40U's specs, the rear axle is listed at 23000 lbs for what that's worth if the states won't abide by the federal statutes
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If its allowed by the feds, states have to go along, especially on interstates ..or lose fed funding...
Old 05-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

You might want to check that statement for correctness.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I can't say for certain but here is a thought to ponder. Is the 20K# spec rate for horizontal pull limit? I can push a 3000# car on a flat surface but I can not carry 3000#! The horizontal force, torque to the axle/drive wheels, is much less than the weight of the coach including the 10K# tow limit. When thinking about this topic in these terms the rating makes sense and is a good reason why we don't often hear of axle failures on our RV's.

Rick Y
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
GRB
Winnebago Watcher

What I have found is that a change to the axle rate doesn't do much if each state is unaware. I was held for 12 hours in Utah St.George and then told I could leave but do not come back to Utah until the weight issue was corrected. And the officer told me flat out she did not care what other states are saying is ok. I guess my point is these officers can hold you and make your trip horrible and then you have to try and get justice later. I am going to a twin rear axle and forget the hassile.
GRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Was in the trucking business for years. The states trump the feds on the highways.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I tried to find the bookmark on a site that discusses axle ratings and reasons. It stated that a single axle is limited to 20,000# max because of the damage done to the roads. (I am frustrated that I can't find that site now because it was very informative and answered many questions.) But, it did indicate that there is a +# allowed. Forgive me for being so vague. I don't have the time to dig into finding it at this moment. I hope someone else can fill in my blanks.

Rick Y
Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

hello all, I know that this thread is probably dead, but really happy that I found this! I recently purchased a 40U and added my bike and lift to the unit. All of a sudden 1,700 hundred pounds over on the rear axle. Everyone that I speak with at Winnebago and Freightliner make me feel like I a crazy and that they have never heard of the issue. I requested a copy of the build documents showing the weight of the vehicle at manufacture, no luck. Sitting basically empty, I am sitting at 20,020 on the rear. Also I was told that police would never stop a MH for a weight issue...thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Was in the trucking business for years. The states trump the feds on the highways.
Only on Interstate highways, otherwise the state laws trump anything else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA puttin View Post
hello all, I know that this thread is probably dead, but really happy that I found this! I recently purchased a 40U and added my bike and lift to the unit. All of a sudden 1,700 hundred pounds over on the rear axle. Everyone that I speak with at Winnebago and Freightliner make me feel like I a crazy and that they have never heard of the issue. I requested a copy of the build documents showing the weight of the vehicle at manufacture, no luck. Sitting basically empty, I am sitting at 20,020 on the rear. Also I was told that police would never stop a MH for a weight issue...thanks.
You are at max for the rear axle. Fully loaded with fuel, propane and personal goods goods you will be over. You are now 20# over which is not considered over, but you are empty. Your tires need to be watched closely. I don't think overloading them is a good idea. Did you do a 4 corner weight test?

I suggest that you call Freightliner: Contact Us

They are very helpful.

Rick Y
Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

We weighed our Dutch Star 3735 loaded with the two of us, full fuel, 1/3 tank of fresh, empty grey and black, all our stuff and the toad attached for complete hitch weight. We weighed 19,700# on our 20,000# Meritor axle.

Because the new DS comes with a 23,000# Meritor axle, I called Freightliner to determine if our axle had been uprated. They put me on a conference call with Meritor who informed me that, "No", I have a 20,000# axle and not to exceed it. The Meritor rep was pleasant but insistent that we not exceed the loaded capacity.

Be safe, keep it between the lines, have fun!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
You are at max for the rear axle. Fully loaded with fuel, propane and personal goods goods you will be over. You are now 20# over which is not considered over, but you are empty. Your tires need to be watched closely. I don't think overloading them is a good idea. Did you do a 4 corner weight test?

I suggest that you call Freightliner: Contact Us

They are very helpful.

Rick Y

Thanks. I have contacted Winnebago and Freightliner, numerous times. No luck. Freightliner says they build the chassis per specs and give it to the RV company. They don't know what happens after that. Winnebago does understand the issue and says that the wet weight is supposed to be 28k and change including full fuel, propane and water. The last conversation with them recommended that I get the air bags balanced and that may help. It moved a little to the front but didn't help the overall GVWR as I thought. I have had it weighed 4 times, however only front and back. I did weigh my old coach that way before our cross country trip and had it balanced well. The funny thing is that I had more stuff in my 34h, which was only 35.7'. When we did the trade, I did some housecleaning.
I now have an email into another Winnebago rep, waiting for response to my request for the actual build weight of my unit.

Tags
journey