Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Chuck, have you considered a different system? I think there is a carrier with a small wheel under it to take up some of the weight. That sound like a good thing to do. I don't know any more than this. I recall seeing a picture of this someplace.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Rick,

Yes, I have seen that system! It looks pretty cool and I considered it but I do have a 3 rail trailer that I had customer built about 20 years ago. I was designed to carry 3 baggers, so I have that as a backup. It is actually a little easier to load up than the lift. I think that I over due the tie downs on the lift...
The other major issue for me is the heat from the engine on the bike. Now I understand why Hydralift, puts the bike up so high.
I think that the lift is for sale!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA puttin View Post
Rick,

Yes, I have seen that system! It looks pretty cool and I considered it but I do have a 3 rail trailer that I had customer built about 20 years ago. I was designed to carry 3 baggers, so I have that as a backup. It is actually a little easier to load up than the lift. I think that I over due the tie downs on the lift...
The other major issue for me is the heat from the engine on the bike. Now I understand why Hydralift, puts the bike up so high.
I think that the lift is for sale!
Putting Hydralift up for sale may be wise choice, Grasshopper. (from old TV series). Also consider the engine. If you impede the airflow through the radiator that is not good. And, the way it sounds, that lift must be putting some serious strain on the frame rails when it operates. The lift energy has to be opposed by something for the lift to work. I hope your alternate choice does the job well for you.

On another topic. Have you noticed ripples developing on your roof? I have several that seem to correspond with the insulation panel seems, but one is very abrupt in front of the middle A/C unit.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Putting Hydralift up for sale may be wise choice, Grasshopper. (from old TV series). Also consider the engine. If you impede the airflow through the radiator that is not good. And, the way it sounds, that lift must be putting some serious strain on the frame rails when it operates. The lift energy has to be opposed by something for the lift to work. I hope your alternate choice does the job well for you.

On another topic. Have you noticed ripples developing on your roof? I have several that seem to correspond with the insulation panel seems, but one is very abrupt in front of the middle A/C unit.

Yes, I think that I will be selling the lift. It isn't a hydra lift,which is why it sets in front of the engine opening, but it was the lightest unit at 280. Have you or anyone weighed your 40U? Just wondering if I am the only one with this issue.

Relative to the ripples, I have not been on the roof yet. Will definitely take a look, thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, I think that I will be selling the lift. It isn't a hydra lift,which is why it sets in front of the engine opening, but it was the lightest unit at 280. Have you or anyone weighed your 40U? Just wondering if I am the only one with this issue.

Relative to the ripples, I have not been on the roof yet. Will definitely take a look, thanks
Your coach is new so they may not be showing up. Over all this is a great coach and you have some of the features I urged Winnebago to install like the new shower arraignment. You might consider the Blue Ox TruCenter. It really helps to take the strain. I replaced my galley faucet with KRAUS KPF-2230-KSD-30SN from Amazon. Much better than the Moen the factory installed.

I had the coach weighed at the factory service center in Gaffney, SC. I had Freightliner tune the chassis and do my 30K services early. I know the chassis is solid and the weight is good but near max. Being full-time and volunteers we carry it ALL with us.

I look forward to hearing of your adventures with your new rig. Happy trails and many of them.

Rick
Old 11-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
I thought it was a change in the Federal Government limit?? They raised the limit from 20,000 to 23,000 which then allowed the RV industry to increase the rear axle size.
+1 And the change was in Federal Bridge legislation that had previously specified a maximum of 20,000 lbs for the rear axles which obviously became the de facto standard for all heavy vehicles - not just RVs.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

I recently did some reading on the difference between single vs tag axle load to the road surface. The single axle tears up our highways much worse than the tag according to the DOT study. The now 23K# speck puts the engineers to a new challenge.

DW and I love the big sister to our rig but the length was not piratical for what we do. Those who do have the tag coaches, all I can say is thank you. You are doing a better job of extending the life of our highways than us single axle folks are. I wonder if there is a better way to build our roads? Any comments about the Autobahn?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Rick,

Thanks for the feedback...my coach is also a 2011. We got it in September with 11,700 miles. We now have 16,900 and counting. So I will be checking the roof!
Appreciate the ideas on new items. Also good information on the tag axle.

Now to get on Craig's list and sell the lift, already dusted off the trailer.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
If its allowed by the feds, states have to go along, especially on interstates ..or lose fed funding...
Nope, only affects vehicles on Interstate roads, the States have to adopt it for it to be allowed on state/county/city roads/streets.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick,

Thanks for the feedback...my coach is also a 2011. We got it in September with 11,700 miles. We now have 16,900 and counting. So I will be checking the roof!
Appreciate the ideas on new items. Also good information on the tag axle.

Now to get on Craig's list and sell the lift, already dusted off the trailer.
I do most of the irv2 forum early in the morning and I am still in a sleep fog. I some how thought your coach was new. We now have 27.3K on this coach.

I have made a few changes to it. I replaced the galley faucet with a more functional one, Removed the shelf in the front cabinet over the windshield, right glass door one, to store my owners case and to hold my SWM antenna box, plus some other things that are slipping my mind at the moment. I have just ordered the repair kits for the front slide travel locks. Mine did not work. I hope your previous owner did the upgrade under warranty.

DW is waiting for me to joing her for morning coffee. More later.

Rick Y
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

We were lucky...our slide locks work...hope that they were upgraded. Haven't made any real changes yet, only the lift.
Have a great one!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We were lucky...our slide locks work...hope that they were upgraded. Haven't made any real changes yet, only the lift.
Have a great one!
One change I made was the Blue Ox TruCenter. The is my third coach on a Freightliner XC chassis. They all have a steering pull and wind is a problem. I researched this product for some time and was planing to buy it. A co-volunteer had one from his previous coach. It was still in the box and he sold it to me for $500. This was in Prescott, AZ. Getting to Prescott was the usual drive. I always expected to be very tired at the end of the day. We normally travel 300 to 400 miles a day and once in a while a bit more, though I don't like to.

When we finally left Prescott and headed toward Seattle I noticed a difference right away. The wheel turned harder and cornering took a bit more effort. But all of that awareness soon went away as I became used to the new feel.

Wind is always encountered, especially traveling long distances. The first time I felt a pull I simply steered straight and hit the button on the floor. No more pull! I found that I was concentrating better, driving more comfortably and feeling more relaxed at the end of the day.

Chuck, this is a great addition to the coach. I urge you to consider this or one of the other steering assist products out there. The Blue Ox seems to have better reviews from folks that have had other brands but they all seem to get + ratings. This one has the least cons.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 11-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the recommendation...wish that your friend had 2 units :-), we are only an hour from Prescott. I have already started some research on the units. We were happy with the handling improvement over our 2004 Meridian and I do sometimes drive 500+ miles a day without stopping. If I've got fuel, I go...the wife hates it.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation...wish that your friend had 2 units :-), we are only an hour from Prescott. I have already started some research on the units. We were happy with the handling improvement over our 2004 Meridian and I do sometimes drive 500+ miles a day without stopping. If I've got fuel, I go...the wife hates it.
Remember, happy trails starts with DW being happy.

Tags
journey