Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey 39QD Entrance Door Surprise

Quite some time ago I found that one of the screw heads that held on the door cover on the inside had popped off. I had to remove the interior door panel to remove what remained of the screw. Much to my surprise I found that the door cavity was complete devoid of any insulation or any other material what so ever. Much like a hollow core door. At the time I did not have any material to add so it was planned later. See the photo below of the finished project. I had a large amount of the foil faced bubble insulation that is commonly used behind car windshields as a sun reflector. Three layers fit the cavity sections perfectly. The bottom cavity was inaccessible so I filled it with foam insulation being careful not to over fill. The sound deadening affect is very noticeable when traveling and it has a more solid sound when closing. I'm sure the heating/cooling is better as well. An easy project that has much benefit.

journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Great idea and it seems to work perfectly. Good job. I will put that on my project list. Thanks for sharing
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow! I like that! Can't wait to take my door apart and see if it's the same.

Are the black strips (looks like about 1"x2") something you added to prevent the inner panel from rattling or is that original?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Wow! I like that! Can't wait to take my door apart and see if it's the same.

Are the black strips (looks like about 1"x2") something you added to prevent the inner panel from rattling or is that original?
The black strips are original. They are pads to keep the inside panel from hitting the steel door. If you will notice I added more foil backed insulation in those areas and taped them down with aluminum tape. It has a good glue and should last a long time.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucrabbie View Post
Quite some time ago I found that one of the screw heads that held on the door cover on the inside had popped off. I had to remove the interior door panel to remove what remained of the screw. Much to my surprise I found that the door cavity was complete devoid of any insulation or any other material what so ever. Much like a hollow core door. At the time I did not have any material to add so it was planned later. See the photo below of the finished project. I had a large amount of the foil faced bubble insulation that is commonly used behind car windshields as a sun reflector. Three layers fit the cavity sections perfectly. The bottom cavity was inaccessible so I filled it with foam insulation being careful not to over fill. The sound deadening affect is very noticeable when traveling and it has a more solid sound when closing. I'm sure the heating/cooling is better as well. An easy project that has much benefit.

Great idea. I will be looking at ours, since we seem to have insufficent cooling anyway. Just popped into my mind, do you have any idea at what temp the foam might be combustible? Just the other day (not summer yet) we felt the outside of the door to be hot, so hit it with a temp gun and it said 124 degrees. I suppose it might get a lot hotter on summer day with the sun beating down on it.
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Does anybody know of other areas that are likely to be short on insulation?
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The front overhead cabinet area is another poorly insulated area. If changing out front TV, its a good time to add insulation.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucrabbie View Post
The black strips are original. They are pads to keep the inside panel from hitting the steel door. If you will notice I added more foil backed insulation in those areas and taped them down with aluminum tape. It has a good glue and should last a long time.
What a good idea! I have to go into our door ('05 39 Journey) as I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with the electric door lock. Now I will get insulation before I even begin. Funny thing on the black stripe that you mentioned are pads? I saw them and immediately thought they were Velcro placed there to keep the inner skin from rattling. I wonder if it would make sense to place strips of Velcro on the pad or in place of the pad to further prevent squeaks resulting from movement of the inner door skin? It should be easy to see where the corresponding part would be placed behind the door skin as that pad must have left some mark after getting a few miles?

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

FWIW - I took the inner panel off my door this morning and surprise, surprise! My door is insulated. There are a few small voids, but not enough to worry about. Don't know when they made the change, but I would assume that '04 (possibly '03) and later are insulated.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I am new to taking apart my motorhome. I have a 98 Brave and the door has a leak. The bottom panel needs to be replaced. I am handy, but can not figure out how to get the inside panel off. Can anyone help?
The door has a split and looks like the bottom panel is separate from the top. Also any suggestions on what to replace the bottom panel with?
Thanks for the help
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I'm with Tomsm, the door on my '04 is insulated also. Good quick item to check, good topic.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote