Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Journey 34B tow hitch

Now that I'm pass the rock guard problem. The tow receiver sits to low on back of coach. Are their other hitches that sit higher on back of coach. Looks like there is room to raise the hitch.
johnrv41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrv41 View Post
Now that I'm pass the rock guard problem. The tow receiver sits to low on back of coach. Are their other hitches that sit higher on back of coach. Looks like there is room to raise the hitch.
Normally you would use a drop/riser hitch adapter such as these. I have two different ones for towing vehicles with varying heights.

Blue Ox - BX88128-BX88132, BX88235, BX88241 Drop/Rise Receivers
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrv41 View Post
Here's a picture of the towing arrangement with the CRV. In this case, I have dropped the hitch down with the adapter to match the CRV. In your case you would install the adapter up to match your vehicle.

Note: I wouldn't recommend having the wires and cables above the towbar as shown in the first picture. After this picture was taken I had a cable catch the release lever on the towbar during a tight turn and one arm of the towbar released. Luckily it happened in a parking area and I immediately stopped and corrected the situation. Now I have the cables and wires routed beneath the towbar, as they should be, as shown in the second photo with the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4736.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	81899   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6830.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	81900  

Old 12-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks . Good information aauummm. I need to replace my tow bar anyway. Seems OK but 12 yrs old. Guess I'll line up my toad and see what height receiver I need.
johnrv41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

johnrv41,
You may have room on top of the factory receiver to weld another receiver. I simply stacked one receiver on top of the other, tack welded it in place then had them professionally welded together. The collar of the new top receiver stays in-place and I just had to add a spacer at the rear, the sides were welded along the length; now I have two levels for towing the jeep or the truck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks AAUUMMM

Thank you for the post regarding routing the cable routing. I have been running the cable under the tow bars, but for one trip I ran it above. I decided to run it below since then, without knowing for sure which was better. Your post resolved that question.
CBTraveler
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTraveler View Post
Thank you for the post regarding routing the cable routing. I have been running the cable under the tow bars, but for one trip I ran it above. I decided to run it below since then, without knowing for sure which was better. Your post resolved that question.
CBTraveler
You're welcome! Happy, safe travels to you!

Tags
journey, tow