Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Journey 02 diesel cooling fans

2002 Journey/Cat 330/Allison/Cooling Fans: I am just hearing the the diesel cooling fans on the aft of the port side of the coach and they seem to be a bit loud. I do not know if this is a no issue/new issue/ concern issue. When they come on after going down the road and sitting idling they come on at about a 50% duty cycle and are discernibly loud - not a squeaky or labored sound but it sounds like it is higher pitched and definitely forcing air through the system. Does everyone's machine sound loud and/or noisy?

Sorry, I do not know how to describe this any better. I could take it to Freightliner but that always results in a 1+ hour labor charge so I thought I would toss it out to the forum for ideas. Thanks in advance.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
2002 Journey/Cat 330/Allison/Cooling Fans: I am just hearing the the diesel cooling fans on the aft of the port side of the coach and they seem to be a bit loud. I do not know if this is a no issue/new issue/ concern issue. When they come on after going down the road and sitting idling they come on at about a 50% duty cycle and are discernibly loud - not a squeaky or labored sound but it sounds like it is higher pitched and definitely forcing air through the system. Does everyone's machine sound loud and/or noisy?

Sorry, I do not know how to describe this any better. I could take it to Freightliner but that always results in a 1+ hour labor charge so I thought I would toss it out to the forum for ideas. Thanks in advance.
huh?
Unless there were major changes in the model, those two electric fans on the rear street side are AC cooling fans. The engine cooling fan is on the engine and exhausting straight out the rear

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
2002 Journey WPK36GD

NOT AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
huh?
Unless there were major changes in the model, those two electric fans on the rear street side are AC cooling fans. The engine cooling fan is on the engine and exhausting straight out the rear

NOT the AC cooling fans.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here is the Built On Freightliner info for the 2002 Journey. As you can see, the engine cooling fan is in the rear and is belt driven.

The house A/C system is on the right rear of the coach and the chassis A/C system is on the left rear of the coach. From your description it sounds like you are talking about the chassis A/C fans.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Not so simple

I thought it would be a simple question so I did not do my due diligence on this one. When the coach has the airconditioner turned on the exhaust sound & air flows from the passenger side of the coach rear ( I call this the starboard side). When the engine is running and is warm from road use there is a fan sound coming from the rear drivers side of the coach ( I call this port side). I do not know the sound level at 1 meter but I would say 90 dB ±.

I guess I will have to get on the ground the next time I pull into a rest area and listen to pinpoint the origin of the sound. If I get to the Freightliner service dealer near me I will ask them before I shut the engine down.

Thanks for the responses and diagrams.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, the right rear (starboard quarter) of the coach has the coach 'basement air' A/C which runs off 120V AC and is ducted through the coach.

The left rear (port quarter) has the chassis air condenser and the evaporator is up front under the hood, ducting through the dash of the coach (just like your car). This one has electric fans visible through the vents in the side of that compartment. Turn off the engine A/C on the dash and the fans should stop running.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

So again, it’s the chassis AC fans
Old 08-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sounds as though you are talking about the chassis A/C fans on the drivers side rear. Those two fans are only going to run when you have the dash A/C on, it's hot, and the engine is running so you can safely ignore them until you have the spare time to check them out. It's not like the noise is going to disturb anyone while driving the RV.

Using a 12 volt battery and a couple of wires you can test them when you're home. But checking the voltage reaching the fans is important too as those connectors do get corroded and need cleaning occasionally. And of course there are limit switches that turn on those fans when needed that should be checked too. The fan motors should be easy to find in a junk yard...at least I hope so...haven't tested that theory yet.

I have a '02 Journey with the 330HP Cat 3126e and have had my dash A/C worked on several times this year so I'm pretty certain the two fans on the drivers side rear, port side, are the dash A/C condenser fans.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Lightbulb is on! I think :)

OK, I think I understand the issue now! I will turn off the chassis air conditioner and see what that does. to the port side rear fan sound. I think I was confusing the A/C with the basement air. Thanks for all and I think this thread is not closed.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Fans turned off eh?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm going to agree with the folks advising the two fans on your port quarter are part of your dash AC.

If you ascertain they are the source of your noise, the good news is that they are one of the most repair friendly parts on our rigs.

I removed and rebuilt ours in 2017. The most complex tool needed is needle nose pliers to pull a couple of c clips.

The bearings seemed OK, but replaced them anyway. (Pep Boys had 'em) No press needed. Slipped the rotor out and cleaned gunk (technical term) from it and the stator. Lots of gunk. Cleaned corrosion from shell and end bells. Scrubbed fan blades and cage with paint thinner. Reassembled and spray painted gloss black. Reinstalled on condenser

Upgraded the OEM electrical connectors with waterproof, UV resistant connectors. (Pep Boys again)('cuz they are close)

Paint, bearings and plugs less than $25. About 3 hours work not including paint dry and parts chasing.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, diesel, fan, journey