Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jack won't retract

I've got 1 jack on my 2011 Sightseer 35J on the front driver's side that will not extend as of recently. The jack on the passenger front has given me issues retracting, but strangely seems to be working properly at the moment. The rears have never given me any problems. Any suggestions how to diagnose/repair?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

First step, check level of hydraulic fluid. Second step, lubricate all jack shafts with silicone lubricant and wipe down. When the jack won't retract, does it move at all? If it partially retracts, can you pry it up with a 2X4? If so, you may need new springs. If it's working now, the lube might fix the issue.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

jack won't retract - actually, it won't extend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
First step, check level of hydraulic fluid. Second step, lubricate all jack shafts with silicone lubricant and wipe down. When the jack won't retract, does it move at all? If it partially retracts, can you pry it up with a 2X4? If so, you may need new springs. If it's working now, the lube might fix the issue.
Thanks for the reply! Apologies, I miscommunicated...the jack doesn't come down/launch/extend at all - it doesn't even budge. So, I can't really lubricate it. I've used a 2X4 on the other one that was giving me trouble on the way up (retract), so I like your suggestion to replace the springs. But the jack in question is my main concern. Also, I will check the fluid which I have not so far - mainly bc the other 3 jacks are functioning properly.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When leveling the jacks sort of alternate with one side or front or rear, then the others. May not be enough fluid to get to "the other." Number ! culprit!

Only apply fluid when all jacks are up. If not possible, just add a little at a time to see if you can raise all of them until all are up. Then fill to specifications.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I wipe mine down regularly with WD-40 and also give a good flushing up into the jack shafts where any dirt/dust collects against the seals when retracting. You’ll find good info on this HWH site link. Edit: Guess that link just appears as the digit 1 but it should take you there

Old 02-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwinnie71 View Post
I've got 1 jack on my 2011 Sightseer 35J on the front driver's side that will not extend as of recently. The jack on the passenger front has given me issues retracting, but strangely seems to be working properly at the moment. The rears have never given me any problems. Any suggestions how to diagnose/repair?
Check your HWH owners manual for the correct method for cleaning the jacks. For the jack that won't move, check the fluid level according to the HWH manual. In some cases a room may have to be extended if hydraulic. If the fluid level is correct, with the jacks up, swap 2 of the solenoid valves and see if the trouble moves. If it does the valve is bad. If not it may be the jack. Remove it and bring it to a hydraulic shop for testing and repair.

Leveling the coach with only 3 jacks is not a good idea. The chassis twist may cause other problems.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

For ANY HWH systems. I found Stuart's Services to be the best!!! Chuck and his wife are great!!!! 574 262-0225. These people are great to work with. He will ask you questions, then tell you what you need and how to install after he send it to you.
RiverGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGeneral View Post
For ANY HWH systems. I found Stuart's Services to be the best!!! Chuck and his wife are great!!!! 574 262-0225. These people are great to work with. He will ask you questions, then tell you what you need and how to install after he send it to you.
Absolutely! HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Old 02-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakm View Post
I wipe mine down regularly with WD-40 and also give a good flushing up into the jack shafts where any dirt/dust collects against the seals when retracting. You’ll find good info on this HWH site link. Edit: Guess that link just appears as the digit 1 but it should take you there

You might consider switching to silicone instead of WD 40. The oils in The latter attract dirt.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
You might consider switching to silicone instead of WD 40. The oils in The latter attract dirt.
Also, WD-40 is oil based and can be detrimental to the seals around the piston. When I talked with Lippert they specified Silicon spray.

Some times it is difficult to get to the pistons, especially at my age. One of the senior citizen grabbers with a cloth with silicon on it will grab the piston and can be moved up and down. Try securing the cloth to the grabber so that it does not fall into dirt.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #11
WinnieAdven38

Funny how most other comments quickly reverted to jack cleaning issues, not to the issue you are experiencing. Since your jack will not extend your problem is NOT dirty jacks, as the hydraulic force behind jack extension is FAR greater than whatever dirt might impede. Dirty jacks typically cause slow retraction, not extension. In my experience cold weather will also greatly slow jacks retracting. But onto the problem you are having - -

Since you have 1 jack which will not extend - but others will - it would seem to be that its solenoid is not operating. If you have an HWH hydraulic system then you have a complete distribution block located right by the tank. Into that block you have a motor and electronic solenoids (1 for each jack and 1 for each slide) screwed in, each controlled by the master circuit board. Their operation is very simple - when you try to extend jacks the hydraulic motor runs - building up very high pressure in the interior reservoir of the distribution block. At the same time 1 or more solenoids should also be activated, meaning they are fed 12v current which opens their valve, allowing the high pressure hydraulic fluid to go to the jack connected to that solenoid, extending it out.
When jacks are retracted almost the same thing happens- solenoids are activated, opening their valves, allowing the fluid to return to the reservoir from the action of the retracting springs puling in the jacks. But for retraction the motor does not run, so no pressure is built up.

One of the problems which HWH systems have is that the solenoids can burn out - which can happen if left activated for too long. Not usually a problem when extending jacks, but when you want to bring the jacks back up the solenoids are fed 12v current for as long as necessary until the system senses full jack retraction - which should automatically shut it off. Problem is - that auto shutoff does not always work, and slow jack retraction can cause the solenoids to stay activated for far too long - burning them out. It happened to us.

Subsequent research unveiled the problem - a burnt out solenoid because we left the system in "Store" mode for too long. Have learned since not to leave the system in "store" more for more than ~5 minutes. If the jacks not fully retracted after 5 mins I will shut it off and let it cool down for 15-20 mins before retrying.

One of the things you have to do is locate the solenoid which controls the problem jack.
You have to do some research on your exact HWH system to help determine which solenoid controls which jack, but once you find that out it is a fairly easy job to unscrew a burnt out solenoid and screw in a new replacement.

So - back to jack cleaning. I have found that regular cleaning and wiping down of each jack keeps them retracting much faster. HWH recommends using WD-40 for this, while others I have talked with are against using that and instead suggest using hydraulic fluid (or automatic trans fluid - virtually the same thing) since they feel that WD-40 is not good for the bottom jack seals. Not sure which is better, but I have found that the flexible nozzle on WD-40 cans can be directed up into the recess of the jack where the chromed piston retracts. This allows it to help blow out any dirt & debris which may have accumulated there. So my current process utilizes both. With jacks extended, I use the WD-40 nozzle to clean our each jack piston recess, followed by wiping off that excess and then wiping down the chromed piston with some hydraulic fluid. After doing that my jacks retract very quickly.

But it sounds like you have burnt out a solenoid.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Could also be a fuse. You can pull up RV-specific instuctions here: Winnebago Industries – HWH® Corporation
Brian_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree with HappiHenri, very good advice. And if you haven't read your HWH manual, it specifies WD 40 not all the other stuff that people are advocating. I trust that HWH has experimented with many lubricants and WD40 is the one they call for, so it is the one I use.
Just my opinion, and HWH's
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGeneral View Post

Another happy customer using Stuarts, when I needed new o-rings for my check valves he had them to me in two days, when I developed a leak of unknown origin he found if replaced a fitting and had me on my way in a couple hours and $300. Great guy.

Of course seeing that you are in CA, Stuarts would be a long drive, he can give you some pointer over the phone though and is willing to do so.