Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

In September 2002, we purchased our Winnebago Journey motorhome and enjoyed 5+ years and 35,000 miles of travel in the rig. During those years of ownership, we've made many friends in the Winnebago family here, but those years of Winnebago ownership have finally come to an end with the sale of our rig.

Although the Journey was a fantastic motorhome, the reason for the sale is that we felt it was time to step up a bit in size of motorhome. As our children get older, we found sleeping and walking around space in the Journey started to get tight. We realized that the kids will only be with for a few more years traveling and we wanted to step up in size of rig for those family adventures and allow the kids to occasionally bring a friend with them.

Although we really liked the Winnebago product line I was frustrated without having a local dealer any longer. We did go to two new Winnebago/Itasca dealers in Western Pennsylvania, but the complete lack of knowledge on the product lines by those dealers really convinced me we had to look outside the Winnebago family. It was a tough decision to leave Winnebago, as we've grown accustomed to the online resources and support both at the factory and here in this forum

So what are we doing for a motorhome now you may ask? I'll give you a hint...

Ever since Shelly and I attended the Pittsburgh RV show in January 2007 and walked into the Tiffin products, we knew we liked the brand, so today with the sale of the Journey, I officially become an ex-Winnebago owner and an order for a 2008 Tiffin was placed.

Check out the thread The new rig is on order to see what we ordered

Even though we'll no longer have the Journey, I'll still be poking my head into the Winnebago forums to see what's happening in here Our Journey was been sold to new owners located in the state of Oregon. Although they won't pick up their rig until Spring, we know they are going to enjoy it as much as we did. They'll be using the motorhome to travel the country with their family in their adventure of racing quarter midget cars.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In September 2002, we purchased our Winnebago Journey motorhome and enjoyed 5+ years and 35,000 miles of travel in the rig. During those years of ownership, we've made many friends in the Winnebago family here, but those years of Winnebago ownership have finally come to an end with the sale of our rig.

Although the Journey was a fantastic motorhome, the reason for the sale is that we felt it was time to step up a bit in size of motorhome. As our children get older, we found sleeping and walking around space in the Journey started to get tight. We realized that the kids will only be with for a few more years traveling and we wanted to step up in size of rig for those family adventures and allow the kids to occasionally bring a friend with them.

Although we really liked the Winnebago product line I was frustrated without having a local dealer any longer. We did go to two new Winnebago/Itasca dealers in Western Pennsylvania, but the complete lack of knowledge on the product lines by those dealers really convinced me we had to look outside the Winnebago family. It was a tough decision to leave Winnebago, as we've grown accustomed to the online resources and support both at the factory and here in this forum

So what are we doing for a motorhome now you may ask? I'll give you a hint...

Ever since Shelly and I attended the Pittsburgh RV show in January 2007 and walked into the Tiffin products, we knew we liked the brand, so today with the sale of the Journey, I officially become an ex-Winnebago owner and an order for a 2008 Tiffin was placed.

Check out the thread The new rig is on order to see what we ordered

Even though we'll no longer have the Journey, I'll still be poking my head into the Winnebago forums to see what's happening in here Our Journey was been sold to new owners located in the state of Oregon. Although they won't pick up their rig until Spring, we know they are going to enjoy it as much as we did. They'll be using the motorhome to travel the country with their family in their adventure of racing quarter midget cars.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You better still poke your head in here and help out with our problems!!!
Your knowledge will help those that need it and besides you will get to see what you are missing by not owning a Winnie anymore!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe- can you elaborate a little on the process involved in listing and selling your Journey, and dealing with a buyer that far out of state? When I sold one of my coaches to a buyer right in town the process of him arranging financing and transferring title was quite an ordeal doing in all in person. Appreciate any information as this will be coming up for me in a year or so. Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You have good taste. We are winne lovers but would never not look at other products when /if the time to upgrade comes. Tiffin are absolutely beautiful - you are going to love it I'm sure.

Would you mind sharing details of your sale - maybe even price asked and price got? Just curious as to what our 2006 Journey might be worth in about 4 years.
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Selling the Journey myself wasn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. One of the first things I did was to study similiar rigs on the market paying particular attention to the prices that folks seemed to be asking. Of course, everyone wants maximum dollar for their rig, but you also have to be practical in what you are asking for it.

Although I felt my motorhome with all of it's upgrades was nicer than just about all of those that I saw advertised, I priced my unit lower then most of the similar Journeys. My plan was to price it low, but then be firm in the pricing. A low price grabbed prospective buyers attention, then the featues and condition of the rig sold it.

I placed 2 online ads maxing out the amount of photographs in each one and then responded to inquires with a list of links to about 30 other pictures I had taken of the rig. Additionally, I supplied prospective buyers a brochure, specs, NADA report, and list of upgrades to the rig. I believe true disclosure of a rig helps sell it and relieve any buyers of concerns they may have.

Within a week of putting the Journey for sale, I had a buyer who wanted it, but who could not get me a deposit check within a reasonable period of time, so I opened up the sale to the next person who wanted the coach. That buyer overnighted a deposit and we closed the deal within a week after that.

I have to thank my Tiffin dealer, Clems Trailer Sales, for actually doing the sales paperwork for me in selling my coach. Typically, the dealer where you are buying your new motorhome may be willing to help your buyer purchase your coach and help them arrange the financing.

In my case, the whole deposit to closing the transaction took about a week to complete.

On edit, I just noticed the question aboutthe pricing....without disclosing the exact numbers in case the new buyer joins the forums, as I've invited him to do, I'll say that I sold it for substantially more than the dealers were offering in trade. Selling it yourself and going in to a dealer as a cash buyer makes more economical sense.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Joe, congratulations on the sale of your Journey and the order of your new Tiffen! I have been watching your posts in the new Tiffen forum, and you are looking at a very nice coach.

I too sold my prior Journey outright. I got lucky enough to list it in our local newspaper and sold it for full NADA retail.

Good luck on your new coach, and we hope to catch up with you somewhere on the road!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Joe:

Congratulations on your new coach! I saw the pictures posted by Bill of that floorplan, and it is just beautiful! Cant wait to see it in Spring!

You just left the Winnebago family, and we just joined, so I guess its okay Your vast knowledge of the Winnebago product is still valuable!

Do you think you can wait until Spring...its like a kid waiting for Santa to come!!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Candace,

It's going to be an extra long Winter this year.

I wish there was a way to "fast forward" on the Calander until April
Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hey Joe - good deal! We liked the Allegro Bus when we were coach shopping. The Bus, Dutchstar, and Horizon were the short list.

Now you get to look forward to your year of fixing things

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Joe, congrats on the new Tiffin; she's a real nice motorhome, and an excellent choice. Thank you for all the help and inspiration you have given me, and others here on the forum. I look forward to following your posts both here and on the Tiffen forum, after you take delivery.

All the best!
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Joe,,not to hijack the thread but after seeing the last post I have to say a great big Hello to Capt. BIll..(we need to talk.)

Joe ,I too want to offer my congratulations on the new coach..As others have said we still expect to see a lot of you in this room so now you will be doubly busy. I can't thank you enough for all you have done for the Winnie Forum.

You and Cruzer will have a lot in common and knowing you both, you will be making mods for awhile...
Take care and a Happy Holiday Season to all.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly plan on being around. You can't get rid or me just bcause I don't have a motorhome anymore

It was also great talking to some of you last night in the chat. Great to see so many folks there.

I'm going to be relying a lot on Cruzer's expertice with the Tiffin product as we go through that first year upgrades and modification process. I'm looking forward to it if only Santa would bring my new rig sooner.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Joe--Congratulations! All the best with the new coach. Just wanted to thank you for your help when we purchased our (similar to your) coach last year. You were a big help! Happy Holidays!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote