Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Sunstar Window Trim

All,

The 2014 Itasca Sunstar coach that we picked up in Fort Myers, Fl met all our expectations. The only issue was captured in the attached image of a piece coming of the passenger side front window on our drive back to Ohio. I need advice on next steps. Is this an easy fix, I have a call into the purchasing dealership purchased. New to the RV world. Bye- loved the power from the V10 in making those climbs in the mountains, it is very strong. Coach only has 5k miles. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451743736.607949.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	115482
NewbietoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If the dealership can not help, Winnebago (Itasca) is really good with parts. Here is their online catalog.

Parts Catalog

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That trim piece is held on by 3 or 4 studs that are attached to the trim piece in a slot and the studs go thru the steel "A" pillar held on with flange nuts under the interior "A" pillar trim. I would suspect that a new windshield was installed and no one bothered to put the flange nuts on the inside before the interior trim was replaced. Better check drivers side as well. New trim piece will need to be painted to match coach. GOOD LUCK
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The 2 screws just left of the top marker light and 2 screws at the lower windshield line that are about even with the bottom of the passenger side window frame are not standard as well . My guess is this coach has had a sloppy windshield replacement, front end damage or both. Don't know what state you live in but where I am from, state law requires dealers to reveal any previous body damage above a certain $ amount.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There is also no OEM Winnebago Logo with manufacturers name, part # and DOT Certification glass marking embedded in the lower side of the passenger side of the windshield. I would notify your selling dealer ASAP
Old 01-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The fix is very easy and only takes a few minutes. Worked with a glass repair guy to replace our windshield when we took it off and it looks the same.

On ours there is a bolt for the top connection that is hidden very well , but engineered so its easy to get to through the top cabinet side with a long shaft socket wrench. Its dark in there but once you see the access point is rather easy with no cabinet disassembly. Just a few screws down the post to bolt it own.

Interestingly we thought the panel was fragile plastic but turned out the panel was metal and in addition to being bolted it was very heavily covered on the inside with an adhesive. Popped back on and bolted down in about 5 minutes.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

NewbietoRV Here is a drawing of the trim piece looking down from the top. The trim piece is green and the three bolts are red. To replace it you not only need the parts is must be painted to match (as mentioned above).
Do you have the piece of trim?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield trim 1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	115681  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I guess NewbietoRV doesn't need any further replys. BTW.... That trim piece on my old 2013 Sunstar 27N was hard plastic with a molded slot for the heads for the studs and was not held on with adhesive, also had a rubber gasket which sealed against the windshield.
"dats all folks"
Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks!

All,

I am so sorry in the tardiness of a reply and a big THANK You to the each of the respondents. Some of you on multiple occasion "CFSUNRISE". I made contact with the dealership in Fort Myers FL. and they are ordering and having shipped that trim piece free of charge. I will network locally here in Columbus, Ohio to get the piece put on. I don't feel confident in doing tit myself.

It has been back to the corporate grind since Monday and I have not had time to get back on here, You all are awesome!
NewbietoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Let us all know how you make out!

Tags
itasca, window