Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Suncruiser info.

Hi. As full timers for 4+ years, our 30' Lazy Daze is getting a little tight. We are considering buying a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser from friends. Workhorse; (should I be scared?) 35'; 2 slides, 20,XXX miles. I've been in their coach, and it's very nice. Still, the photos I see of 2005 35' Itasca Suncruisers for sale on the internet don't look like theirs at all. THEIR Suncruiser looks like a 2004. Perhaps the body style changed to what I call the newer 'Darth Vadar' look in mid-year? They described the motorhome as a 35D; perhaps they meant 35P. Obviously there is a communication gap here, but they are on the East Coast and we are wintering in AZ, and their internet skills are modest at best. Any info exchanges must be by phone or the USPS, and my Winnebago research has not given any clear answers. A little info here would be appreciated; we don't want any embarrassments.
rmlarson647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson647 View Post
Hi. As full timers for 4+ years, our 30' Lazy Daze is getting a little tight. We are considering buying a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser from friends. Workhorse; (should I be scared?) 35'; 2 slides, 20,XXX miles. I've been in their coach, and it's very nice. Still, the photos I see of 2005 35' Itasca Suncruisers for sale on the internet don't look like theirs at all. THEIR Suncruiser looks like a 2004. Perhaps the body style changed to what I call the newer 'Darth Vadar' look in mid-year? They described the motorhome as a 35D; perhaps they meant 35P. Obviously there is a communication gap here, but they are on the East Coast and we are wintering in AZ, and their internet skills are modest at best. Any info exchanges must be by phone or the USPS, and my Winnebago research has not given any clear answers. A little info here would be appreciated; we don't want any embarrassments.
First of all, Welcome to our community. You will find many here ready and willing to help. Try going to this link and you will be able to find the factory brocures for the coaches and floorplans you are looking for.

Previous Model Year Product Information

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

hi rm

we have an itasca 2009 suncruiser 35P
what info are you looking for?

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Just curious why are you worried about it being a Workhorse? Most folks seem to prefer the Workhorse over Ford. We have the Workhorse on our '04 32V Sunrise. Have found it very dependable. The only problem was the Bosch brakes, which were recalled, but fixed, for free, and now all fine.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Everyone has their own opinion, but here is mine; I prefer the Workhorse due to the Allison transmission. The big block chevy is also a plus, you will cruise at 60 mph at 1000 rpm less than the Ford V10. To me, lower revs means increased reliability. It also has tons of power. Never had a problem with my brakes. Recall is complete; brake pads and disc were good with 60% left on pads at 30,000 miles, now I have new calipers! I took it from CA to FL last year and back in a period of just over two months, burned less than a quart of Mobil 1 in 6400 miles. never even hick-uped!

Not sure what else you need to know.......... Buy the Winnie / Workhorse, take care of it and it will take you everywhere.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Have 2005 Suncruiser 33V, 8.1 GM motor. Strong as a bull, pulls like a diesel, runs at 2000 rpm and 60 mph, gives 9.1 - 9.3 mpg !

Has had full brake caliper replacement recall, fuel rack recall, put in a K & N Air Filter and could not be happier so far !!!

Big motor always seems to make sense when reliability is a factor...better to have and not need than to need and not have ! Love the Allison tranny also and ya just dont get it with the ford V-10.

Love the Winnebago quality can enjoy without spending the fortune !
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Although I can't speak to the 2005 model you are looking at...I can say the Suncruiser with the 8.1L GM Engine and Allison Transmission are solid machines. You just don't hear of the major problems with chassis issues that are often present in other models. The only issue with the Workhorse Chassis has been the brakes and I also found Workhorse more then willing to pay for the repair even though I was the second owner.

What I'd be more concerned about in your position is you are trying to purchase this thing long distance. As a chief technician of a highly regarded national dealership told us in an educational session on electronics, "all rv's are prototypes". Which meant that no two are exactly the same.

With your level of experience I'm sure you know how important it is to have the RV be totally checked over to know what you are really dealing with before purchase. My personal opinion is I'd never buy an RV long distance without seeing it in person. Pictures lie...and so do people!

That said there are a lot of great RVs for sale and wonderful people selling them. To find them though I feel it's necessary to go see them.

Be careful and have fun!!!
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Suncruiser 33v and love it. Its strong and noted above but the information available from Winnebago and this site and others makes the Itasca/Winnebago products very friendly and the owners groups are sensational and helpful if ever a problem did arise. The Brake recall was a bump to deal with although I, in California did not experience any brake issues at all. The recall was just completed for me and now its back on the road for us. Really just enjoy the Product because its a great machine, and a lot of fun to drive too.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all for the info! There is a LOT of controversy out there re: Workhorse brake issues, but our friends with the '05 Suncruiser for sale had their brakes recalled early on and things are good for them. While I'm a big fan of Allison, I wasn't aware of the easy rpms's the Chevy engine turns at cruising speed - certainly our Ford V-10 is wound up pretty tight. Our friends have agreed to meet us in the Midwest this spring if we are interested in their coach, where we would swap motor homes for a day (and a night) before making a deal. This should work! Again, thank you.
Cheers,
Robert & Laura
2003 Lazy daze 30' IB, towing a '07 Ford Focus, 4 wheels down.
Presently 'Maintenance Hosts' (bathroom cleaners) at Catalina State Park, Tucson, AZ
rmlarson647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Tragedy has struck !

05 Itasca Suncruiser 33V with 8.1 Vortec, 5 spd Allison... stock with exception of K&N Air Filter and Steer Safe:

Decending 6 mile, 5% grade in WV this past Tuesday, outside temps chilly at 63 degrees, had her in 3rd gear, 3400-4100 rpm, depending on manual added braking, as we descended the hill...

All dash cluster lights suddenly and very brightly flashed on and then off with immediate engine loss... almost zero coasttime, had prob even getting off the interstate to the shoulder. The emergency flashers even failed to work !!! I rushed out, put the Warning Triangles behind me to alert others to our precarious location. When I returned to coach DW informed me that almost immediately upon my announcement of "TROUBLE" she had heard a "metallic thrashing/banging" noise under the doghouse. After prob 15 minutes the flashers started to work again, I turned the key and it fired right up but lots of sputtering. Fellow RV'er had stopped, said he worked for Fleetwood, and what it seemed was I had an ECM or Electronic Ignition Control Circuit bad solder joint. He followed me as I attempted to move to safer location but the engine died after yet another very bright dash cluster flash.

135 mile tow from Bluefield, WV to Kernersville, NC to Workhorse facility, where was preliminary diagnosed as ENGINE FAILURE, metal in Oil, suspect "sucked a valve or threw a rod or lost piston cap nuts...:(

Any advice ??????? Have Route 66 Extended Service Agreement, but as the dealer suspected they are less than enthusiastic in offering anything but "remove motor, teardown, inspect then we will decide to cover or not"... !!!! grrrrrr

Has 10,125 miles, no history since I purchased in feb 2011 other than needing new plug wires and plugs and 4 of 8 ignition coils replaced as selling dealer prepped for me.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

One last thing...

We just got done paying almost $800 to have the back cap pulled off the motor home due to the duct that goes from the basement heat pump up to the roof vents split open. It was in effect air conditioning the open cap area behind the coach and very little was getting to the roof vents.

This is an expensive fix if it happens to you and is as I've found out fairly common. Winnebago was completely unwilling to help, felt there was nothing wrong with the engineering, and that very few developed this problem. Check the forums or just do a Google Search and you will find out differently.

This experience has soured me considerably on Winnebago and their willingness to stand behind their product. When we upgrade count on us looking around.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote