Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We just looked at the 2008 Suncruiser 38T and I think we're in love. Any comments from owners? This will be our first RV and seems to have everything we need/want and in the right location to boot. The model we looked at had the fireplace and free standing table and I think we'll get one without the fireplace and get the dinette instead. My DH doesn't fit well in the free standing tables for some reason. Any help would be very appreciated!
Mcgeneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We just looked at the 2008 Suncruiser 38T and I think we're in love. Any comments from owners? This will be our first RV and seems to have everything we need/want and in the right location to boot. The model we looked at had the fireplace and free standing table and I think we'll get one without the fireplace and get the dinette instead. My DH doesn't fit well in the free standing tables for some reason. Any help would be very appreciated!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Don't know about the Suncruiser, but I can tell you Winnebago designs, engineers and builds a pretty darn good product.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
My best friend and his wife got an '07 38T in June and love it. It didn't have the fireplace but having the TV on the side is so much easier to view and at the right height. I have the '05 Meridian F and it has the same arrangement. Selecting the right dealer is important, doing a thorough PDI before final payment at delivery is also important. Come to GNR in July '08 and take factory tour, attend seminars by Winne suppliers and meet people from all over the US and Canada who feel Winnebago puts out a pretty good unit for the price.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

is the GNR at Forest City? We plan a trip to Winnebago in April to take the tour. And can we go to the GNR if we don't own a Winnebago yet? Lastly, are there dealers there? thanks!
Old 11-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #6

One word comes to mind when I think Winnebago....VALUE.

They also have a good dealer network, and they are willing to service at Forest City.

There are several things that Winnebago could improve on, one being a low R-value as they are not insulated very well and don't offer a better insulation package.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
MrG
Winnebago Camper

You must be a member of WIT, which means a Winnebago Industries motorhome owner and join WIT to attend GNR. Some dealers give you first year free. You can see pix and read about GNR on Winne's web page. There is a dealer in Forest City, Lichtsinn RV. Not the cheapest, but they have many units to see. Where do you live? Maybe we can suggest a dealer that supports local WIT clubs and you can contact one of the clubs, also on Winnie's web pages.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We live in Western NY - near Rochester. We have looked at Meyers Campers - now Camping World. I did speak with someone from Lichtsen regarding a Destination. But since we don't plan to buy till next summer at the earliest, I guess we'll have to wait till 2009 for GNR! But we do like the Winnebago products, so I expect we'll end up with one.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T. We are a family with 4 kids and needed something to accommodate everyone. The 38T is our first motorhome, however,we started camping in a 26 ft travel trailer 18 years ago. As our family grew, so too did the trailer length! Our last one was a 37ft quad bunk model. Last year we made the leap into the motorhome. For us it was the counter space that we really liked when we first spotted the 38T floorplan. We needed the dinnette for the sleeping space. Had that not been the case we would also have gone with a free standing table. The dinnette has a horrible squeeking noise originating from where it attaches to the wall and we haven't figured how to make it go away. There is a thread on this forum by another 38T owner looking to solve the same problem. When the right slide is open it provides a nice size hallway to the bedroom. This was a big selling feature for us. Someone can be using the bath and you still have access to the bedroom. Trust me, with 3 of 4 kids being teenage girls I would never be able to get into the bedroom without this hallway. When the slide is in you cannot get at stuff in the closet. This hasen't been a big problem as long as you plan accordingly.

The only other negative comments I can think of are my wife feels the front seats could be more comfortable. We limited our search to dealers east of the Mississippi. The best deal I found was at Lewis in Dayton OH. For the money I felt the coach should have been perfect but we have had our share of problems. We had all our warranty work done at Myers RV in Lakewood NJ. Early on I had no problems with their service department and found them helpful. They seem to have gone through several service mangers recently and customer service is lacking. Winnebago was always supportive and never gave me a hard time about any warranty work. Overall we truely enjoy the 38T and for where we are in life right now it works well. We continue to get positive comments from fellow RVers. I do not know what your budget is but you may want to look at a 40TD deisel, same floor plan, 2 extra feet and gives you a larger bathroom with an extra closet in the rear of the bedroom. When we go deisel in retirement we'll probably go that way.

We will be leaving on a 7 week cross-country adventure in mid-June and then a major career change will necessitate our selling it. If you are willing to wait until Sept 08, we would be happy to send you more detailed info.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Slapshottr is right on Lewis in Dayton, OH. He was the cheapest around the midwest and is where my friend bought his. GNR is July 20-25 this year. You could still make it if you bought by then. Contact Winne at 641.585.6874 for WIT membership info or 641.585.6464 for GNR info. Hopefully, forum members that live out east can recommend a Winnie/Itasca dealer that has good service as well as decent pricing.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have the twin sister, Adventurer 38T, for just over a year now. We have placed approx. 10,000 miles on it going up and down the East coast due to family and returning to home base. We fell for the floorplan (don't think there is any better - same goes for the TD version) plus it was a Winnie which we believe has good quality. The floorplan still stands out for us and the counter space is huge, no other model including diesels have compared (Monaco, Newmar, Country Coach, etc.). While this might not be a priority to some, you mention it and if it's important, then this model has it. We have had some minor warranty issues but that is normal during the first year. We have the fireplace (really like it and it puts out a lot of heat) and the free-standing table and chairs. The only thing I would improve on this RV is having a diesel and that is why I envy the TD models, specifically the Tour/Ellipse. If you going to do A LOT of travelling and have mountains/hills to deal with and can afford it, you might want to consider these. Otherwise the 38T has good power and if you're not towing a toad, it does really well. I find a huge difference when the toad is not hooked up and that is where I believe a diesel would help.

Overall a very nice rig, looks and quality. Like the others say, the dealer and their service is key. Also make sure to go to the dealer and ideally spend the night there in the RV so you can test everything. Also make them address ALL your concerns before taking ownership/signing off.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We purchased a used 2006 38T still under warranty last year as our first motorhome. We have had very few problems with it and have put about 13000 miles on it going coast to coast. It is extremely roomy and has significant storage space...more than enough for the two of us. We love the fireplace and the TV above it. It frequently provided all the heat on chilly nights and looked inviting besides. We have the dinette and it squeaks also. Things we would change are better lighting for reading and needlework, a larger bathroom sink and freestanding dining table and chairs. There are two grey tanks and the smaller galley tank is inadequate for anything beyond a day of normal use. It definitely requires some creativity to dry camp and not fill it. It is very frustrating. We have the washer/dryer combo and altho small, we used it exclusively for a 3 month trip. For our purposes, being just the two of us, I think the 38J would work well. Overall, we have really enjoyed our time in this model and have been very pleased with its performance. (We heard that Winni solved the small gally grey tank 2 problem by installing a transfer pump -- verify this for yourself as it is really necessary if dry camping without sewer hookups). We also intend to place some self stick velcro stuff on the "U" channel holding the wall side of dinett table to solve the rattle problem but haven't done so yet.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

As you can see below I am usually on the 5vr forums. I do miss my old Class A when traveling, but the main drawback to me has always been the lack of counter space in the motorhomes, so I am glad I found this thread. I will be looking at the floorplans.

How is your gas mileage? I met a fulltimer in Maine this past August and he had a Winnebago with 275 HP and was getting 14 MPG. With the fiver the best we get towing is 11, with 10 MPH our average. (flatland)
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We have the 38T and love it. Dual slides are large and give us lots of room. TV is lower and much more enjoyable to watch. Have the bench diner and the table is slightly larger than most. Auto Sat. on roof is a blast to use and easy to setup once parked. Kitchen counter space is quite large for a MH and a big improvement over most MH with small kitchens. Get lots of looks and nice comments from folks about how nice the MH looks. We have had minor warranty things all handled just fine. One major warranty issue, when just new...driving home for the 1st time the transmission overheated going uphill. Workhorse installed a very expensive and very large transmission cooler in the front of the engine raditor. Job was done very well and have since have had no more overheating issues.

See our photos of the MH. Color is silver and Winny for 08 is not using this color. Too bad, as it is the best one they had. My opinion. The 08 also have a LCD TV and a solid front windshield.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
RTP
Winnebago Watcher

I took possesion of my Suncruiser 38T on 6/1/07 after seeing the floor plan last September (06) at a rally in Texas. Fell in love with the floor plan immediately, and rationalized for 8 months on why we needed a new mororhome. Do not have the fireplace, but use that space for my printer. We traveled for 6 months total, with 4 and 1/2 months in the Suncruiser and over 11,000 miles on all terrains, averaging 6.7 MPG (no TOAD). Experienced 3 hail storms with very minimal damage--slide awnings were replaced--and 3 dimples on the comprtment door. Good job Winnebago!! Have had normal first year warranty issues that have been corrected, except for one item dealing with the engine A/C blowing hot air when idling. Again, love the floor plan and have had numerous compliments. Everyone is amazed with the galley size and the layout of the living room.
RTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Have had our 2007 38T for a year now. about 7000 miles around the mid-atlantic and southeast. Getting around 6.5 mpg towing a Jeep Liberty.

My only gripe so far is it's handling and sway. I have since installed front and rear anti-sway and trac bars. And s SafeTPlus. (installed cost around $2600.) Handles MUCH better now and with minimal sway. Will probably also move to Koni shocks shortly.

I echo the comment about prefering the diesel TD if we did more mountains.

jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

See you are looking at the 38T. We have a 2008 and love it. Lots of comments as to its unique look inside and out. the overlapping slides make the living room seem huge and the well placed TV and fireplace are a plus. Just got back from a 6400 mile journey from Victoria B.C. to Mooresville N.C. Ran like a top thru mountain passes and back east heat. Great unit
jeepman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman53 View Post
See you are looking at the 38T. We have a 2008 and love it. Lots of comments as to its unique look inside and out. the overlapping slides make the living room seem huge and the well placed TV and fireplace are a plus. Just got back from a 6400 mile journey from Victoria B.C. to Mooresville N.C. Ran like a top thru mountain passes and back east heat. Great unit
There may be better ways to get your post count up rather than digging up 10 year old threads..... Hahaha. Just kidding.

We looked at a few 38T's before we found the 38J. I like the big slides on the T. I especially like not having a TV over the drivers area. We have only owned our Adventurer for a few months but really love the Adventurer/Workhorse platform. When taken care of these coaches will last and look good for a very long time.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Front Windshield Leak

I am currently sitting at an auto glass repair shop waiting for the sealants to cure on our Itasca's front windshield. Just paid over $1k to have the leak fixed. There are alot of posts in different forums regarding this issue. Just letting you know.
rtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote