Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Suncruiser 37F Questions

I was looking at a 2012-2013 Suncruiser 37F. Wife and I like the floor plan. Right now I have a workhorse with V8 Vortex. How does the V 10 handle on the road?Tell me what you like and dislike about your rig. Did you have to add anything to your coach? Does anyone know the turning radius? Would you purchase it again? Any information will help me decide.

Thanks in advance

Gary
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
I was looking at a 2012-2013 Suncruiser 37F. Wife and I like the floor plan. Right now I have a workhorse with V8 Vortex. How does the V 10 handle on the road?Tell me what you like and dislike about your rig. Did you have to add anything to your coach? Does anyone know the turning radius? Would you purchase it again? Any information will help me decide.

Thanks in advance

Gary
Obviously, I agree with you about the 37F; I bought one of the last that WBGO built on the W-24 chassis. If you want info on the Ford chassis, I suggest you consider posting your questions in the Ford chassis forum below in the Chassis Club section. Good luck,
Ed
Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Obviously, I agree with you about the 37F; I bought one of the last that WBGO built on the W-24 chassis. If you want info on the Ford chassis, I suggest you consider posting your questions in the Ford chassis forum below in the Chassis Club section. Good luck,
Ed
Thanks Ed

I'm looking for any information. Your likes and dislikes. Any problems with the operation of anything?

Gary
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We looked hard at the 37f before buying a 38t on the w24 chassis. When it had a seating area in the rear, instead of the rear bath in later models.

That full wall slide really opens it up.

If it were me, I would really "drive" it. Up a good mountain, over bumpy roads, let a few 18 wheelers pass you, over a curb, force it to sway a bit. Ideally I'd hook your toad to it and load it up. Might find you also have to do some chassis mods to make it ride and handle to your satisfaction. Or that it doesn't have enough under the hood for you. That cost me about four grand but worth it.

Also check the as built weight sticker in it, might not like the ccc.

I personally think two heads in a mh is overkill, unless you travel with kids or have a 43-45 foot rig.

My opinions fwiw
Jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Gary,

We purchased a 2012 Suncruiser in September of 2011. This last week we passed the 12000 mile mark. The 35P is on the W24 chassis. We tow a 2010 Ford Edge. At the beginning of this summer we traveled for 10 weeks. Our travels took us from our home in Missouri as far north as Jasper, Alberta, through Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona across I-20 to Florida and back home. When we left the coach had about 3000 miles on it. I had bery few problems. None that caused me to stop for repairs. Nuisance problems existed but nothing that slowed us down. As far as the climbing ability of,the coach all I can say is be patient. We always made it. I also learned to drive within the capabilities of the chassis. In other words, don't expect it to perform like a DP. It won't. But I didn't pay as much on a first cost basis.

We stopped for service in Tucson for service. Oil change, etc. I averaged 6.5 to 7.5 mpg. On the flat my speed average was 60 to 62 mph. Cruise control was somewhat useful however hills would send it into a downshift pretty quickly. 4000 RPM is a little noisy. I could control that with my own driving abilities out of cruise control. I had minimal problems with handling. It held the road well. It doesn't like headwinds much. I learned that in South Dakota. Patience is the key.

Our coach is fairly well equipped with double door refrig, stackable washer and dryer, outside entertainment etc. it all worked! Call me lucky!

We are having one issue now with the cabinets. The cabinet frames are not stained wood but a wood product faced with a woodgrain stickon product. Ours is bubbling badly. Winnebago is going to replace all of the face frames.

I can honestly say we enjoyed the coach and traveling within it's capabilities. We're not the 37F but close enough you could expect the same performance characteristics.
Hope this helps. Glad to give more info if you need it.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer63 View Post
Gary,

We purchased a 2012 Suncruiser in September of 2011. This last week we passed the 12000 mile mark. The 35P is on the W24 chassis.........We're not the 37F but close enough you could expect the same performance characteristics.
Hope this helps. Glad to give more info if you need it.
Lancer63: Please clarify if you have a Workhorse or Ford chassis.
I believe that 2010 was the last model year that WBGO used the Workhorse W24 chassis. AFAIK, all the 2011 and 2012 gassers were built on Ford F53 chassis with the V10. THANKS,
Ed
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
Thanks Ed

I'm looking for any information. Your likes and dislikes. Any problems with the operation of anything?

Gary
YES, 'cause it is a motor home! I doubt anybody makes one that won't have a problem or two with something. My 2010 was the last model year with the RVP/Coleman basement AC, so you can rest easy knowing you won't have that. It has been my biggest and most expensive problem with this coach. Enjoy the extra compartment space!

The 37F requires use of a "memory foam" mattress, so I hope you sleep well on that type. The FWS & 2 toilets is THE reason we bought it. This is our second bath & a half coach, and I doubt we will ever go back to a single toilet plan.

When parked with all three slides deployed, it is very spacious. When traveling, the bed blocks easy access to the rear bathroom, and it prevents opening the bedroom closets and drawers, but the front bathroom and 4 door refer are fully functional. If you need something from the closets or drawers, you ONLY need to open the small bedroom slideout, which is not equipped with a slide lock and runs in and out very quickly...but I've not tried it going down the road.

Ours was fully loaded with almost every option by the dealer, and we especially like the electric operated day and night shades on the INSIDE of the windshield, and the panoramic view. The side-hinged compartment doors are "nice", but you are still UNDER the slides, so a little flexibility will come in handy. I try to complete all my hook-ups before deploying the FWS, and I think the electric cord compartment is a bit small, but the cord fits....

Overall, we are happy with this coach (except for the basement AC) and have not had any major problems with the systems, once I learned to keep the engine running while operating the slides and jacks. I think the newer models have a larger shower.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Ed
Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray
Lancer63: Please clarify if you have a Workhorse or Ford chassis.
I believe that 2010 was the last model year that WBGO used the Workhorse W24 chassis. AFAIK, all the 2011 and 2012 gassers were built on Ford F53 chassis with the V10. THANKS,
Ed
It is on the Ford chassis. The chassis is a 2011. Also everything is stock.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer63 View Post
It is on the Ford chassis. The chassis is a 2011. Also everything is stock.
Thanks. You may have a 24,000 pound GVWR, but since its a Ford it is NOT a W24, which is a Workhorse model. Ed

Tags
itasca, suncruiser