Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffm View Post
Update on this thread.

I contacted RV Products. We are making arrangements to get the parts to repair the environmental controls issue.
Cliff, I have been trying to get in touch with Eric Botts at RVP since Monday a week ago through my dealerships service Rep whom is very familiar with my problem. He has made several phones calls with no return calls. I know he has called him as I was there when he made the call at least 2 times. I am having the same issues as you are with the on/off cycling of the heat pump.
Did you speak with Mr Botts or someone else, if so who?
I will be on the phone again on Monday trying to get this corrected. Thanks
Cliff PM sent.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Can't reach Eric?

I have responded to Dan privately, but it bears repeating here.

Dan was unable to reach Eric at RVP (maybe he's on vacation). Dennis had provided the switchboard number in post #7 ((316) 832-3400). Eric told me there are 4 guys in the tech support group including him, but he's the only Eric. If you can't reach him, the next step would be to call the main number, explain you're trying to reach Eric, and ask them to hand you off to another person in his same group.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I did talk to Eric yesterday & also today. He is sending me 3 new control boxes for all 3 of my heat pumps. If you need to call him for this same reason he will need the manufacture part number off the backing plate that is attached to the wall for the thermostat.

My fingers are crossed that this fixes our issues with the heat pumps cycling off & on rapidly. Eric was well aware of this problem & knew exactly what I needed.

Personally I think this should either be a recall or service bulletin,so the dealers/manufacture (Winnebago)/service departments can fix it the first time.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Dan,
I thought you only had two heat pumps and one a/c.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I thought that also, but I believe I was wrong. According to my owners manual all 3 zones are heat pumps but only 2 have gas heat supplement. All 3 units on the roof are the same part number. The last time I ran zone 3 in heat I had noticed that it seemed to be blowing only cold air and the other 2 had kicked on the gas. Hence I thought it didn't have electric heat but it may have just been to cold outside to do its job. I have only been at the campground where we have our mh 1 day in the past 3 weeks. My wife uses our mh as her home when she is on the road for work. She tends to just use the gas heat. We found that she likes it better on propane & with it running all the time in the electric mode the cost seems to be about equal and I am afraid of long term damage with the constant cycling off & on. I am hoping these controllers fix this and we can let it run in electric with the auto switch over if need be for gas.

She is currently in SC in the foothills of the Appalachian Mts until the first of January. Then she will be moving on to Tucson AZ.

Dennis you have the same model as I do with the exception of it being an Itasca. I really am not sure even after reading the manual and physically taking the cover off of the roof unit & writing down the part numbers & serial numbers. Could it be that zone 3 is the same unit but doesn't have heat. I would think it would have a different number and the t-stat would not have a selection for heat. In any case it cycles off & on several times in a few seconds time before it either stays on or stays off for a few minutes.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Dan,
My thermostat will only provide heat for zone 1 (rear) and 2 (middle) heat pumps. The zone 3 (front) unit is only an air conditioner and not a heat pump. (A heat pump can provide a/c and pump in the opposite direction and provide heat.) The gas heaters are two separate units on the floor that run on propane and have their own separate ductwork. Do you happen to know your build date? I am wondering if they changed the front unit during the year?
Are you sure you have the ability to turn on the heat pump (electric heat) for zone 3?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Dennis, all I know is that the thermostat has electric heat setting for all 3 zones. After I get my new control boxes from Airxcel, I will be going back down to the mh. I will do more thorough checking as to whether or not I have heat on zone 3. I do not know my mh build date, but I do know my chassis build date is 6-22-12. I bought my mh on 2-29-13. So I would expect the build date to be apprx Aug thru Dec of 2012. But this is only a guess.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Regarding the fuel fill spill issue:
The freightliner message/information display has at least three "trip" timers.
I reset one at each fill-up and then use it to track how much used/to put in.
Its much easier to slow down the pump when you know how much it will take.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Heat

That's interesting. Not sure exactly what my build date was, but I've got heat pumps & Gas furnace available on zone 1 and 2 (read and middle), and only A/C in zone 3. Of course, the fireplace is up in zone 3, so technically is has a heat source as well.

Cliff
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Dan,
My thermostat will only provide heat for zone 1 (rear) and 2 (middle) heat pumps. The zone 3 (front) unit is only an air conditioner and not a heat pump. (A heat pump can provide a/c and pump in the opposite direction and provide heat.) The gas heaters are two separate units on the floor that run on propane and have their own separate ductwork. Do you happen to know your build date? I am wondering if they changed the front unit during the year?
Are you sure you have the ability to turn on the heat pump (electric heat) for zone 3?
If I recall correctly, the operators manual explains this. Yes, it is true that we have 2 HVAC zones. But we have 3 heat pumps. The controls know when zone 1 requires 1 or 2 compressors by the degrees needed to satisfy the thermostat. The outside temp may figure into this also but I can't say for certain. Zone 2 is the back area. Cooling or heating is determined by the position of the unit's reversing valve.

Another feature is the LP heat. When the thermostat detects that it is 5 or 6 degrees below the set point it automatically switches to LP heat.

We are at 34* today and the heat pumps are still working! This coach is much easier to heat and cool than our '05 Vectra with basement air. The noise is a problem.

Rick
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
Regarding the fuel fill spill issue:
The freightliner message/information display has at least three "trip" timers.
I reset one at each fill-up and then use it to track how much used/to put in.
Its much easier to slow down the pump when you know how much it will take.
That's a great idea. I still haven't figured out how to access all of them. I find the control and menus very hard to understand. We may have different models though.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

The Freightliner information center (LBCU) is a bit tricky to figure out. Camp Freightliner spends over an hour explaining it.
The manual is confusing but correct. Its one of those things you just have to spend time with.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If I recall correctly, the operators manual explains this. Yes, it is true that we have 2 HVAC zones. But we have 3 heat pumps. The controls know when zone 1 requires 1 or 2 compressors by the degrees needed to satisfy the thermostat. The outside temp may figure into this also but I can't say for certain. Zone 2 is the back area. Cooling or heating is determined by the position of the unit's reversing valve.

Another feature is the LP heat. When the thermostat detects that it is 5 or 6 degrees below the set point it automatically switches to LP heat.

We are at 34* today and the heat pumps are still working! This coach is much easier to heat and cool than our '05 Vectra with basement air. The noise is a problem.

Rick
Unfortunately the heat pump system fan on my mh comes on in high when using the heat mode, but in cooling I can tell it to run the fan on low continuous or in auto it will decide which it needs high or low depending on how much temp difference between actual & thermostat set temp. If the heat mode would use the low fan setting it would sure cut down on the noise.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Unfortunately the heat pump system fan on my mh comes on in high when using the heat mode, but in cooling I can tell it to run the fan on low continuous or in auto it will decide which it needs high or low depending on how much temp difference between actual & thermostat set temp. If the heat mode would use the low fan setting it would sure cut down on the noise.
That's true, Dan. But it is also true for cooling. There is a chart of fan speeds and what causes what speed in what condition. If you're not troubleshooting do you really care? My wish for Christmas is that someone would come up with a good, safe for the equipment, way to vary the fan speeds manually over a wide range. Even on low there is, more often than not, too much air blowing.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Cliff , have you received your new control boxes from RVP yet? I received mine this past Monday but I haven't had a chance to go install them yet. Hopefully next week if the weather co-operates.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

It's a the shop now

The coach is in the shop now, and this is one of the things they are addressing. It's all warranty work, and I'm letting them address the ordering/installation/etc. on this.

Cliff
Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Mine also is warranty, however we leave Jan 1st from SC heading to AZ and can not get the coach to the dealer to have these installed in time. After talking with Mr Botts at RVP I decided to install these myself & if needed I can call him for any assistance. They look pretty straight forward with just some wiring to connect. I wanted the dealer to install these if it was at all possible. However I believe I am just as good a mechanic as these people are & maybe better, 35 + years of turning wrenches & chasing wires on aircraft & autos. I have been in their shop & worked side by side with these guys on other motor homes.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Mine also is warranty, however we leave Jan 1st from SC heading to AZ and can not get the coach to the dealer to have these installed in time. After talking with Mr Botts at RVP I decided to install these myself & if needed I can call him for any assistance. They look pretty straight forward with just some wiring to connect. I wanted the dealer to install these if it was at all possible. However I believe I am just as good a mechanic as these people are & maybe better, 35 + years of turning wrenches & chasing wires on aircraft & autos. I have been in their shop & worked side by side with these guys on other motor homes.
Your coach is on a Freightliner Custom Chassis, right? Have you gone to Gaffney yet? I had service done there and the folks are great. If you haven't had your coach weighed, the height adjusted and that tag checked I would advise it. Even an alignment check might be a good idea. Winne might even pick up the cost if things are not correct.

In any case, have a wonderful Christmas and safe travels to AZ.

Rick
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your coach is on a Freightliner Custom Chassis, right? Have you gone to Gaffney yet? I had service done there and the folks are great. If you haven't had your coach weighed, the height adjusted and that tag checked I would advise it. Even an alignment check might be a good idea. Winne might even pick up the cost if things are not correct.

In any case, have a wonderful Christmas and safe travels to AZ.

Rick
Yes I have had the coach to Gaffney for the 6 month & 1 year combined service. 1 year only has a couple more items, I did not realize that the service interval is based on the chassis build date & not the owner purchase date (me). We also attended Camp Freightliner. I wanted the alignment done, but their machine was down & I am not having any issues so I decided to not do it. We also had the coach weighed at all 6 points and they made the necessary adjustments.

Cool thing about getting this work done & attending the Camp is my wife has been working in Gaffney at the local hospital since last may. Made this all very convenient. We have the coach setup in Cherokee Camp Ground in Blacksburg, which is 10 miles north of Gaffney on I-85. Our home is in Concord NC which is 75 miles north of Gaffney. We have been able to tour the factory also & there was no rush to get this all done at one time.

Thanks for the good wishes & you & your family have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes I have had the coach to Gaffney for the 6 month & 1 year combined service. 1 year only has a couple more items, I did not realize that the service interval is based on the chassis build date & not the owner purchase date (me). We also attended Camp Freightliner. I wanted the alignment done, but their machine was down & I am not having any issues so I decided to not do it. We also had the coach weighed at all 6 points and they made the necessary adjustments.

Cool thing about getting this work done & attending the Camp is my wife has been working in Gaffney at the local hospital since last may. Made this all very convenient. We have the coach setup in Cherokee Camp Ground in Blacksburg, which is 10 miles north of Gaffney on I-85. Our home is in Concord NC which is 75 miles north of Gaffney. We have been able to tour the factory also & there was no rush to get this all done at one time.

Thanks for the good wishes & you & your family have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
You have had a great beginning with your coach. That is wonderful.

I have participated in a few discussions about the service intervals and what truly needs to be serviced. I think, as many others do, that the extent of the services is a bit excessive for the type of service time our motorhomes get on the road. Greasing the chassis and proper filter changes is important, true, but changing the oil because it is a year old seems a bit excessive to me. I am using Royal Purple (or will be on this coach when I do my first oil change) and have for years. Having a lab test the oil is a good way to schedule oil changes and will not affect the warranty. A record is established as to what is happening to the engine over time. And you can save big bucks and have it is better for the engine. I a great article I read about this very subject the author presented evidence the indicated that the detergent packages were not being allowed to work correctly with the recommended oil change schedule and more wear was being produced.

You will work it all out. Happy snow birding!

Rick

Tags
itasca