Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am looking to move up to a 34' pusher and I cannot have anything bigger because I need to tow. In the general discussion forum I learned of the Itasca Meridian. I like the 34H floorplan (if it had the dinette and banquette in it) and I also like the C7 Cat and the Alcoas. It seems like most everything else in my affordable preowned range is 300HP with hubcaps (I guess they are simulators). I have seen a Nimbus and an Alpine which are awesome in 34' but even if I could afford one I don't think I would have much luck preowned.

Are any of you willing to share your HONEST experience with a 2005 or newer Meridian? Of course I would really appreciate 34' feedback but I am very interested in general.
Jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am looking to move up to a 34' pusher and I cannot have anything bigger because I need to tow. In the general discussion forum I learned of the Itasca Meridian. I like the 34H floorplan (if it had the dinette and banquette in it) and I also like the C7 Cat and the Alcoas. It seems like most everything else in my affordable preowned range is 300HP with hubcaps (I guess they are simulators). I have seen a Nimbus and an Alpine which are awesome in 34' but even if I could afford one I don't think I would have much luck preowned.

Are any of you willing to share your HONEST experience with a 2005 or newer Meridian? Of course I would really appreciate 34' feedback but I am very interested in general.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #3

We've got a 2007 and love the floorplan.

We're finding that things aren't constructed in the best manner nor is quality impeccable but certainly not the worse. We have had good response from Winnebago service, however.

You say you need to tow but plenty of people tow trailers with longer coaches so I don't know why you're limiting yourself to just shorter lengths.

Quite a few folks on this board have 34Hs and can give you better feedback.

Good luck.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We just got a 08' 39 ft Meridian this spring and have driven it 6000 miles so far this year. We have not had any major problems so far. I have had it back to Winnebago once so far to have shower head replaced in Shower and some other cosmetic things.

We are going to MN later this month and will stop in at Winnebago one more time to have bathroom door adjusted. It sticks a little when we are parked and leveled.

We towed a Nissan Maxima through the mountains in the west and we averaged 8.8 MPG for the entire 5000 mile trip. I thought this was pretty good for a diesel that is not broken in yet.

In the flat lands I could average a little better than 10 MPG and we set cruise at 60-62 (1700 RPM).

Hope this helps and good luck. Let me know if I can help with anything else
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #5

Jeez, moldmkr, you're a cut above the rest of us. You have the new model and is nothing like the floorplan of the 34H. *envious*

Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h:
We've got a 2007 and love the floorplan.

We're finding that things aren't constructed in the best manner nor is quality impeccable but certainly not the worse. We have had good response from Winnebago service, however.

You say you need to tow but plenty of people tow trailers with longer coaches so I don't know why you're limiting yourself to just shorter lengths.

Quite a few folks on this board have 34Hs and can give you better feedback.

Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear you're having pretty good luck. I would assume at this price point that things like interior fit and finish would not be of superior construction. That's OK because we're used to Pace Arrows and Southwinds which we have been fine with.

Our toy trailer now is a 24' (28' OA) triple axle and I need to get a bigger one which will be 26' or 30' OA. The CHP will want me for anything over 65' total. We like to beach camp anyway and if one wants to get in the good spots here in good 'ol crowded Kalifornia, much more is making it difficult at best.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have the 06' Meridian that Amanda was looking at , and love it. I have no regrets, complaints, or "Why didn't they's" about it at all. I'm not sure why the cap at 34' for towing though...

JIM: Just read ur bottom post here, and without getting spot specific (because we both know where it is you're looking), that beach is the exact reason we chose the 34H. If you need an additional tour let me know since we're obviously neighbors.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Jimco,

We have a 2005 34H Meridian & love it. We've done coast-to-coast. We tow a PT Cruiser Convertible on a tow dolly. Only down side is the cost of fuel has caused us to do shorter trips.

Feel free to ask away, if you want specifics!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
We have the 06' Meridian that Amanda was looking at , and love it. I have no regrets, complaints, or "Why didn't they's" about it at all. I'm not sure why the cap at 34' for towing though...

JIM: Just read ur bottom post here, and without getting spot specific (because we both know where it is you're looking), that beach is the exact reason we chose the 34H. If you need an additional tour let me know since we're obviously neighbors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, we're still mad at you, Jeff, for beating us to that one! It sounds like you are having quite a few less problems than we are.

Yes, Jimco, Winnies are better than Fleetwoods in our opinion. And I see why you're concerned about the length now. If it's just the two of you and you're not full-timing, then the 34H should be a good floorplan for you. We really like having the dinette on the curb side.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Jimco
Remeber the winnebago Journey is basically the same coach if it was ordered with the extras that the Meridian came standard with.
Our 34 HD is really a super nice coach for my wife and I. the dinette on the patio side is a plus.
When the slides are in it is completly livible, except the lower drawers under the rear closet are non openable do to being against the bed.
Outside storage in completly adequate, but not generous.
You will not even come close to your GVWR. Put anything you can cram in it.
With my 330 hp cat., towing my crv I got 8.8 mpg on my last 2000 plus mile trip @ 62 mph.
The driving is just fine. I would think a larger wheelbase coach would be better under windy conditions etc, but mine is so good that it is just not a concern.
Yes==I like it. Good luck.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2004 Journey 34H. It has served us well. Almost 40,000 miles coast to coast and over the highest mtn. passes and across the hottest desert.
We have lived in it full time since bought new. Tow a Jeep Cherokee.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Jimco - If you find a good 36' Meridian and can adjust the length of your tow trailer, don't pass it up. I have a 2004 Meridian 36G and have enjoyed it other than several typical RV type problems. 36' vs 34' I think you gain a pantry with a 4-dr side-by-side frig, 4-drawers under the bedroom TV, a flip-up counter extension in the kitchen, and a medicine cabinet in the bath are a few advantages I can think of now.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Jimco: The 34H is a good coach, like SCVJeff I have no regrets. If you want to come my way and talk you're welcome. Hope to see you at the beach.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

SSSShhhhhhh.....

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
SSSShhhhhhh..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry Jeff. I know your beach but we don't go there. In the area we go to Carpinteria where my grandmother started going the day it opened in 1950 something. Promise if I slide into a 34H I won't try to slide into your spot.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

We spent over 10 years going to Carp in a 28' Pace -Arrow, even on the beach side! Haven't done it in the Meridian yet, but I suspect Santa Rosa is now out as well as all beach side sites. The "other" place became the default because Carp is often impossible to get into 6 mo in advance (as I'm sure you know).

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 WB Journey 39K. Of course it is a bit longer than what you want, but overall, it has been very trouble free. All the issues have been with componant suppliers parts (i.e. awning motor, bad battery, couch motor and Sirus radio). I have put over 15 K miles on it over the last year, including a round trip from VA to OR in June towing my son's car one way on a dolly, no tow back.

Average 8.6 mpg at 62-65 mph. The Cat 350 was great through the mountains. Overall, this MH is a winner for us, and it better be because it will shortly become our full time home.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have a '07 Meridian 36G. So far, one year in to it we've had only minor issues (fit/finish - bathroom chair molding coming off the wall - easy repairs).

Unlike Amanda_h I think the Winnebago fit/finish is up there w/ the best of 'em (we camp with 2 other couples with Country Coaches).

There's a 34H - 2007 for sale on the Orange County craigslist you might want to check out.

Finally, with the CAT 350 running about 8.5-9.0 mpg with 6500 miles on the coach. I run out I15, I10, I40 to Ridgecrest (to motorcycle ride), Phoenix, and Mohave respectively. I tow a 19' toy hauler (about 6000 lbs). I've had no issues towing that weight up the Devore pass; I guess a 400 Cummins would be better but not necessary.

My $0.02. If towing I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 860 ft lbs tq in the Cat C7.
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Meridian is the 36G floorplan with the 350 Cat. We love it. There have been very few problems, and I feel the fit and finish is very good.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luckymick:
I have a '07 Meridian 36G. So far, one year in to it we've had only minor issues (fit/finish - bathroom chair molding coming off the wall - easy repairs).

Unlike Amanda_h I think the Winnebago fit/finish is up there w/ the best of 'em (we camp with 2 other couples with Country Coaches).

There's a 34H - 2007 for sale on the Orange County craigslist you might want to check out.

Finally, with the CAT 350 running about 8.5-9.0 mpg with 6500 miles on the coach. I run out I15, I10, I40 to Ridgecrest (to motorcycle ride), Phoenix, and Mohave respectively. I tow a 19' toy hauler (about 6000 lbs). I've had no issues towing that weight up the Devore pass; I guess a 400 Cummins would be better but not necessary.

My $0.02. If towing I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 860 ft lbs tq in the Cat C7. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm glad to hear that both you and John are happy with the quality of your Winnies. Comparing yours to a Country Coach! *thumbs up* ...I actually like to hear that!

I didn't mean to make it sound like that we are really unhappy but this is our first RV so we really don't (didn't) know what to expect.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread --it could be of some interest to Jimco-- but I'll list a few things that we are disturbed about but I guess could happen on any brand ...I don't know.

1. Vinyl floor is buckling in bathroom

2. Cabinet doors do not visually line up (not a big deal) and seemingly cheap hardware on door latches ...always coming loose while driving.

3. upholstery on the dinette benches permanently creases the more we sit on it. This happens to both the seat cushions and the back cushions.

4. continual slide problems (some Winnebago and some HWH)

5. numerous nicks, dents, and scratches in woodwork and floors (too small to be caught on PDI but we know we didn't do them). Just carelessness at factory?

6. Some exterior paint flaws --nothing major. We put a lot of nicks and scratches in it, though

We also have had some issues with Winnie's vendors so they're not directly Winnebago's fault.

Again, we are not unhappy with our unit and would definitely consider a Winnebago product again. We have friends that bought a Fleetwood Discovery at about the same time and they're having more problems than we are so I know things can be worse. We've also heard horror stories from those who have other brands.

All-in-all, we are satisfied.