Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

We are looking at either one of these units, having sold our old 96 Bounder with a 454 engine. The new units have the 8.1L engine and the six speed Allison transmission and I am wondering if these are adequate to use in the Rockies. The old Bounder did get us up the mountains, very slowly and with a great deal of heat. I am hoping that some of you can share your experiences driving in the mountains with either unit, we will also be towing an 05 Honda Civic. I like the idea of having the gas engine in the back, looked at diesel pushers but can't quite justify the exta cost. I understand that the new front engine gassers are a lot quieter and run much cooler. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks for input
Fossilhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

We are looking at either one of these units, having sold our old 96 Bounder with a 454 engine. The new units have the 8.1L engine and the six speed Allison transmission and I am wondering if these are adequate to use in the Rockies. The old Bounder did get us up the mountains, very slowly and with a great deal of heat. I am hoping that some of you can share your experiences driving in the mountains with either unit, we will also be towing an 05 Honda Civic. I like the idea of having the gas engine in the back, looked at diesel pushers but can't quite justify the exta cost. I understand that the new front engine gassers are a lot quieter and run much cooler. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks for input
Old 02-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Love our Itasca Sunrise on a Workhorse W22 (8.1L with Allison 5 speed). Plenty of power, good handling - straight and true even with trucks passing and wind. Front engine is quiet and no heat. Rear engine would definitely be quieter but not sure about handling. I did add Dynamat under the Doghouse cover and Konis to improve the harsh ride provided by the Bilsteins. No issues with Winnie quality and/or workhorse drive-ability.
Frank O.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Fossilhound,

You would be fine with the Suncruiser 38J. The Vortec 8.1L and Allison tranny are a great match.

In the summer of '07 we travelled extensively in the northwestern USA and western Canada in the Rockies and Cascades. We travelled over the Continental Divide nine separate times with no trouble. Some grades are more severe than others, but none ever caused any concerns.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fossilhound,

Interesting comparison discussion...

I think the Vortec/Allison setup will be adequate, and you should be able to find price points that are very similar for the Destination/Lattitude and Adventurer/Suncruiser. So you are in discussion of comparison for units, rather tha nprice, which is a good place to be. For the first time in Winnebago's lineup we have diesel and gas price points that are similar.

However, the fit and finish on the interior is quite a bit better in the Adventurer/Suncruiser.

Resale will be better with the diesel, and the ride will be slightly quieter and smoother due to the air ride.

Both are good floorplans and the core structure and quality are equivalent in construction.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies, we will have to have a much closer look at both units, I had mainly DP in mind but am now considering a gasser again. The mileage issue and cost of fuel has me thinking about the price difference between a DP and Gasser. For about $80K difference I can buy a lot of gasoline, pay for campgrounds versus a DP initial cost. I will look for some good used units but quite frankly would prefer new. We especially like the front kitchen, eye level TV but do want table and chairs instead of booth dinette. At this point the Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes appear to have the best selection and quality that I feel comfortabe with. It is now mainly a price issue, up here in Alberta, the dealers are less inclined to deal and I am not afraid of travelling for a good deal on a motorhome. It is reassuring to hear that the 8.1L and Allison transmission are a good combination for the Rockies.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #7

Well, we live smack dab in the middle of the Rockies, and we are just fine with our gas setup. People that are on the East coast kinda get frightened by the steep grades when they come here, but we just keep truckin'
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to disup
We didn't want to go the extra for a diesel and have the 8.1 2005 38J and are very happy. Have been able to navigate all mountains in Co and west coast so put your mind at ease with either model.
disup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies, we were out looking at the units today, we like the Suncruiser 38T the best so far. Now the question comes up, should we wait for the 09's and see if there will be any changes to the floorplasn of the Latitude or the Suncruiser.