Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I am sitting here as my DW drives us home on I-95 and watch the kitchen slide bounce a bit. I see what could be an issue with the design. As the slide closes tight all the holding force is at the exterior wall there is no support under the kitchen slide floor. There should be a few rollers under the structure that extends beyond the slide box floor like under the couch corner, the cabinet that extends and the back corner. There is a lot of force generated if someone sits on the couch or leans on the edge of the kitchen counter while the slide is retracted. If the slide is retracted fully the slide is supported by the outer frame, but I have had mine loosen an inch or two underway. This puts all the force on the the Schwintek rails and little nylon wheels to hold the weight.

Has there been any issues with the new Powergear driven kitchen slide units?
On my rig we have "Travel Locks" made by Kwikee. They are mounted in the ceiling of three of my slides. When operated a motor brings a lever up that grabs the upper wall opening rail and keeps the room from doing what you describe. I am surprised your rig is not equipped with these. I had to repair mine but I do use them when I travel.

I know you can get a brace to put between the coach wall and the slide. I've seen them at RV stores. Bad news if you forget to remove it before you open!

Hope you find a solution to these problems.

About my PowerGear slides? They seem to be working just fine.

Rick Y
Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Noticed that the pantry and other drawers have plastic locks, any issues with theses?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

We have just returned on the worlds crappiest roads, I-95, and had no issues with any thing opening up.

Also use the slide bars on my kitchen slide to prevent it from creeping open. The bars works fine. They kept the slide tight, though the rear bar did drop a couple times on huge bumps.

I had not seen the new slide mechanism WBO is using on the 2015 to replace the Schwintek system. They did not change the slide configuration so it is still an in-wall system but the rack mounting on the slide box does not provide any support. I think that is some of the issue with the Schwintek system, the rails are designed to provide some support.

The Schwintek slides have no locks, my full wall slide is Powergear with 3 underbox arms for support and movement and has locks when closed.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Noticed that the pantry and other drawers have plastic locks, any issues with theses?
The pantry has never been a problem for me. I have had a couple of drawer latches break but it is usually because some obstacle get caught in it. It breaks where the screws attach it. The one exception is the sliding doors on my closet. The latches were the lighter ones and they failed. I have replaced them with the heavier service ones. I have to watch the mounting screws there also because they tend to loosen. I may put a drop of glue on them the next time that is done.

RV living takes some getting used to. What was normal in a stick & brick is not for the home on the move. When do you lock your refrigerator in a S&B house? When you can't keep your teen out of it. In a RV? When you pack up to travel.

Well, that is the experiences of the little rig. Let's see what the big fellas have to say.

Rick Y
Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Rick Y
I believe these are the latches you're speaking of. I wish I knew of a way to adjust them other than removing them, filling the hole, and reinstalling.
I think half of mine are too hard to open or close and one opens driving down the road. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427897431.178741.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	90246Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427897445.824823.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	90247
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I'll put my two cents in..

We went to the Chicago RV show back in February and spent some "quality" time looking at the Ellipse Ultra and liked it.. liked it A LOT.. I was impressed with the features it had to offer..

I liked the multiplex wiring... the safe behind the TV... in fact, the whole TV "corner" storage was nice.. the lay out was nice.. there were a couple things we could do without.. I thought there was a "gaudiness" factor on somethings.. but not a lot..

I recently was able to tour a Newmar Dutchstar.. and to be honest... I think I would go with the Ellipse... I haven't done any finite detailed comparison, but I wasn't as impressed with the DS as I thought I should be.. I've spent some time over at the Newmar forum and thought my pants would be blown off by the DS.. and it wasn't.. in fact, I was rather disappointed.. Now, I'm not saying one is better than the other, but in my case.. Happy GF = Happy life.. and the GF liked the Ellipse MUCH better..

Thankfully, we are a few years away from moving up to a DP.. for now, the Sunstar works great for us.. I've been happy with everything so far.. can't imagine that will change..

Good luck...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Oakcreekeric

Thanks for your reply, trying to get DW to look at anything but an Ellipse/Tour is becoming difficult. She has an aversion to dueling couches and dueling TV's like most other rigs have.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
Rick Y
I believe these are the latches you're speaking of. I wish I knew of a way to adjust them other than removing them, filling the hole, and reinstalling.
I think half of mine are too hard to open or close and one opens driving down the road. Attachment 90246Attachment 90247
That's the one but the light weight. If you are in wood and you need to move the catch you can plug the holes with tooth picks and glue. When they are hard you can reposition that small amount needed. They work well when installed correctly. But it is a good idea to take a peak at that striker from time to time. The strain over time tends to break the mounting tabs. That is why I replace the assembly with the heavy duty ones. Takes a bit more pull to open but they hold up better. The original are 3# rated. Here is a link to the 10# I use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy trails.

Rick Y

Tags
itasca, winnebago