Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Ellipse Motorhome

Is anyone familiar with the Itasca Ellipse Motorhome. We currently have a Tiffin 42 foot Pheaton and are considering trading it in on the Itasca Ellipse. We don't know anything about Itasca and was hoping someone could give us some feed back before we make our desision.
Jwcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would post your request in the Winnebago forum (Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums) where you'll find lots of Winnebago and Itasca owners that should be able to answer questions for you.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwcox
Is anyone familiar with the Itasca Ellipse Motorhome. We currently have a Tiffin 42 foot Pheaton and are considering trading it in on the Itasca Ellipse. We don't know anything about Itasca and was hoping someone could give us some feed back before we make our desision.
Over at the Winnebago owners forum there is an ongoing thread with about 200 posts about the 2013 Tour which is the corporate twin of the Ellipse.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you! I will do that.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

One quick note on the 2013 Ellipse. One of the floor plans is nearly impossible to get down the center aisle with the slides in. We were looking at them and shied away due to the slide in issue. A dealer told us Winnebago/Itasca is aware of this issue and may fix it in 2014.
MPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We've owned an Ellipse for the past five years and looked at each new model as they've been introduced. In our opinion, the Ellipse is a higher-end coach than the Phaeton, but below the Allegro Bus. Winnebago has a number of features that many others don't have, for example the energy management system and Easy Rest bed. Our previous motorhome was a Tiffin, and while the customer support was superb, Winnebago's has also been excellent. The Grand National Rally is unique among motorhome companies, and the ability to download electrical, plumbing, and construction diagrams along with the parts in your particular coach are very helpful. Tiffin and Winnebago share many aspects; both built in small towns where everyone has a stake in the product, friendly customer service, etc. But with Winnebago you have a network of dealers that can perform major work, and if necessary, the plant in Iowa is centrally accessible. Hope this helps in your decision.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPython View Post
One quick note on the 2013 Ellipse. One of the floor plans is nearly impossible to get down the center aisle with the slides in. We were looking at them and shied away due to the slide in issue. A dealer told us Winnebago/Itasca is aware of this issue and may fix it in 2014.
Never heard this one before, what model was it?
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Never heard this one before, what model was it?
It is the 2013 42qd 1 1/2 bath model. We really liked it until we put the slides in to drive it. One can make their way down the aisle, barely. No way to use it with slides in, say for lunch or even an overnight where one can't put slides out, like Flying J or Walmart. Maybe most Ellipse owners don't care about this, but we do and it is a show stopper.
I understand Itasca may fix this with 2014, according to one dealer.
We are watching for new 2014 floorplans.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Depends how big you are. My wife and I have no problem getting through the coach with the slides in.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

WOW!!!! I am 230lbs and have no problem getting to the bathroom or the kitchen with the slides in. Four of us adults traveled for 8 days with no issues. The wives fixes sandwiches while moving down the road with no issues. My buddy is 260 and had no issues. If you weigh 300 lbs you could have a problem getting to the bathroom.
The Coach is amazing, the floor plan is awesome. It drives like a dream. We retire in June and are going fulltime, can not wait.
You need to take the Tour or the Ellipse for a test drive. You will be amazed.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
WOW!!!! I am 230lbs and have no problem getting to the bathroom or the kitchen with the slides in. Four of us adults traveled for 8 days with no issues. The wives fixes sandwiches while moving down the road with no issues. My buddy is 260 and had no issues. If you weigh 300 lbs you could have a problem getting to the bathroom.
The Coach is amazing, the floor plan is awesome. It drives like a dream. We retire in June and are going fulltime, can not wait.
You need to take the Tour or the Ellipse for a test drive. You will be amazed.
Les
Thanks for the reply. Our complaint about the lack of an aisle was not a "girth" issue. Neither my wife nor I are very big around or across, both much smaller than you and your buddy. Our issue was no place to walk or get ones feet flat on the floor to walk, especially through the front living area.
We agree that this is an awesome coach with high quality and well thought out except this one show stopper.
Oh well, maybe 2014.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

The first time we took our QD out, we did not have the table all the way in, so it was real tight. True, there is not much room when all closed up, my 07 32 foot 2 slide bounder had a lot more room closed up. But, with the way this thing opens up, the floor plan and the room, I will deal with the small isle. We've stopped and had lunch with the slides in and it was doable.

PS. Don't believe your dealer. I really don't think they will make a change.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for all this feedback! This is very helpful. We are going in to test drive it. This will be the first time we will see it closed up, so we will defiantly check out aisle room, cuz that would be an issue for us.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
The first time we took our QD out, we did not have the table all the way in, so it was real tight. True, there is not much room when all closed up, my 07 32 foot 2 slide bounder had a lot more room closed up. But, with the way this thing opens up, the floor plan and the room, I will deal with the small isle. We've stopped and had lunch with the slides in and it was doable.

PS. Don't believe your dealer. I really don't think they will make a change.
Good point the wider the slide the more room we have to deal with inside the MH, by law they can only make a motor home 8 1/2 ft wide so if you want wide slides you have to live with it when they are in.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Our complaint about the lack of an aisle was not a "girth" issue. Neither my wife nor I are very big around or across, both much smaller than you and your buddy. Our issue was no place to walk or get ones feet flat on the floor to walk, especially through the front living area.
We agree that this is an awesome coach with high quality and well thought out except this one show stopper.
Oh well, maybe 2014.
I totally agree with you. It is an unbalanced walk to the bathroom. You do have to watch your footing. We have done it a few times and it is not a big deal when you open up the Coach and have all that room.

Sorry for the miss step!!!!!! Get it!!!!

See Ya
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

It is the 2013 42qd 1 1/2 bath model. We really liked it until we put the slides in to drive it. One can make their way down the aisle, barely. No way to use it with slides in, say for lunch or even an overnight where one can't put slides out, like Flying J or Walmart. Maybe most Ellipse owners don't care about this, but we do and it is a show stopper.
I understand Itasca may fix this with 2014, according to one dealer.
We are watching for new 2014 floorplans.
Most owners of a 42QD are not concerned about staying at a Walmart. We enjoy the fantastic floor plan with the slides extended. We often stop for lunch and have no trouble doing so with the slides in.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It's a tight walk, but that's what the forward bath is for And it's the trade off for all the floor space when the slides are out! In almost 2 years and 21K miles, we've spent very few nights where we could not put out the BR or Galley or all 3 slides. Usually it's because of weather and we pull into our shell like a turtle!

I'm sure they could have made the full wall slide a little "thinner" to give more center aisle room when all slides are in, but at a cost of space when the slides were open. We spend more time parked with slides open than on the road to worry about it much!
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We are full timing in our 2010 Ellipse and really enjoy everything about the coach. We did not purchase it new so I don't know what problems the original owner may have had but we have had the coach for over a year with only one major problem. Overall we have found the construction and features of the Ellipse to be superb. It is a long story but we had planned on buying the Phaeton but drove off the lot with our Ellipse and very happy that we did. I wish you the best if you buy the new 2013 I don't think you will be disappointed. We have seen them and wish we could upgrade.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The Eclipse QD was on our short list before we bought our 'retirement' rig. We loved the floorplan, it was only a snide sales rep that caused us to move on without pursuing to a price quote.

We buy these big rigs to live in while parked, they're not designed to provide maximum comfort in travel mode. At best they'll provide access to the 'vitals', the fridge and bathroom, while at the rest area. Also, the farther the slides go out, the farther they come in. Look at a coach with an 18" wide slide with the slides in and compare it to ours, with 30" slides. The travel isle is much narrower in ours. We can, and do, use the fridge, microwave, center bath and even the TV, if we want, while in travel mode. That's all we, and I suspect most people, are expecting.

There was something to be said for our first motorhome, a '91 Southwind, no slides, while traveling. Everything was accessible, but while set up there's no comparison in the comfort to our current rig.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The Eclipse QD was on our short list before we bought our 'retirement' rig. We loved the floorplan, it was only a snide sales rep that caused us to move on without pursuing to a price quote.

We buy these big rigs to live in while parked, they're not designed to provide maximum comfort in travel mode. At best they'll provide access to the 'vitals', the fridge and bathroom, while at the rest area. Also, the farther the slides go out, the farther they come in. Look at a coach with an 18" wide slide with the slides in and compare it to ours, with 30" slides. The travel isle is much narrower in ours. We can, and do, use the fridge, microwave, center bath and even the TV, if we want, while in travel mode. That's all we, and I suspect most people, are expecting.

There was something to be said for our first motorhome, a '91 Southwind, no slides, while traveling. Everything was accessible, but while set up there's no comparison in the comfort to our current rig.
Dead solid perfect!