Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Hi, I have been on this website awhile but never on the Winnebago site even though I have a 1999 35c adventurer. We are about to upgrade and I was convinced I wanted a 40 ft diesel pusher from Newmar. From all I had researched it seemed like the best quality even though I like my Winnie. We have fallen in love with the Itasca ellipse 42QD floor plan. I wanted to see from those of you that have them if there have been any problems with them? Also, the maxum chassis ride vs the Spartan ride? We were convinced to stay at 40ft but love the floorplan and can't find anything we like nearlyas much in a 40ft model, has there been any issues with an rv over 40ft as far as rv parks, state laws, etc? Also, any comments on gas mileage if you have any. Appreciate your help. tom
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have owned a Lexus gs300 and driven it long distances 500+ a day and people might call BS but I felt less fatigued after a long drive in my 36m with a maxum chassis than the gs300.

This is our first RV so I have nothing else to compare.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have an Itasca Ellipse 42 QD and love it. I drive 70-75, pulling a car, and get 7.1 MPG. Drives very well, floorplan is great, no complaints. Just turned up 60K miles on the way back from Florida, in for major service in 2 weeks.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hello Tom,
We have the Ellipse 42QD. It has been a great coach! There are several amenities standard in the QD which are options in other manufacturer's higher msrp coaches.

The Ellipse or Tour 42QD is very high on the "bang for the buck" scale. I get around 8.6 or so mpg at 60 to 63 mph (sweet spot). The Maxum chassis is smooth and stable during travel. You have the most basement storage of arguably any coach in it's class, or higher. The living room salon layout is such that everyone can view the TV comfortably, except maybe the driver seat. It is also a wide body design. I measured 12ft-10in inside slide out wall to slide out wall. You don't loose awning coverage on patio due to slide out because the awning is mounted to the slide itself. It has a large kitchen too, lots of practical storage space.

We just call ahead or Google Earth a campground or RV park if any doubts on getting around in it. Really, you shouldn't have many issues for most parks. Just check as you normally would clearance heights and turn radius' etc. By the way, the Ellipse/Tour has a 60 degree turn radius (this is without the steerable tag). We've had no problems.

I've covered a few things that came to mind as an owner.....feel free to ask any more questions you have, we'll jump in and answer!
Good luck in your quest, hope you can get a 42QD!

Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2012 QD, love it. Would not trade it for anything else our there! 7-8 mpg towing a Buick Enclave. Good luck - go for it!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ditto here on the Ellipse and its sister the Tour. There's always start-up issues with every coach - we've worked through ours and are very pleased with safety, ride, and layout. We average 7.8 overall at 62 - 65 mph covering terrain from mountains to seashore. Recommend you give the Ellipse and Tour a good close look - put their attributes head-to-head with whatever competing coach you're considering - your choice will be clear. Safe travels ...
Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

A good friend has a 2013 Tour 42QD. He had a lot of problems with slides the first year. I think they have them all fixed now.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

more questions

thanks for all the great info. Is DEF additive a real pain and expensive? I assume even the 2011 uses def, is that correct? Also, are there any issues with the 2011 model year since that was the first model year (working out bugs)? Do you need the 450hp engine, noticed some have the 400hp, is there a big difference in performance and does that come at the expense of a decrease in gas mileage? thank you
Old 05-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
thanks for all the great info. Is DEF additive a real pain and expensive? I assume even the 2011 uses def, is that correct? Also, are there any issues with the 2011 model year since that was the first model year (working out bugs)? Do you need the 450hp engine, noticed some have the 400hp, is there a big difference in performance and does that come at the expense of a decrease in gas mileage? thank you
Tom, DEF fluid hasn't been any problem at all for us......a tank full of it usually lasts through two tanks of diesel (almost 300 gallons). It's easy to fill, there's a dedicated tank in rear most driver side bay. Pumps at Pilot Flying J and the like have it nest to diesel nozzle.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2011 models were pre-Lippert slide mechanism issue. All of the issues have been worked out on that mess. A redesign has been implemented on the new coaches, and a retro fit beef-up is available to all past models in between. Myself, I still have the originals with no issues so far outside a couple of minor adjustments. I have also learned how to properly operate the mechanism, and self calibrate the motors, which is a snap.

I love the 450hp Cummins, and it suits the 42QD well in my opinion. It doesn't work hard at all, and it's silky smooth with the Allison transmission. I have no experience with the 400hp on this coach. Others will have to chime in here on that. I'm taking a guess though, that mileage is probably a little better with the 450hp than the 400hp, but not a major difference.

Keep the questions comin'!
Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Old 05-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Electra 225 please share with us your method for the slides please.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

The 42QD was our first love when we were shopping. We looked at nearly everything and some had similar floor plans but we always looked back at the 42QD. Ultimately we just couldn't justify it for Vacationers, so we stepped down one to the Meridian that has a similar floor plan but less features. I still miss the 42QD aqua hot, dishwasher, classy counters, etc.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
Electra 225 please share with us your method for the slides please.
Hello Ron!
I'll state what I was told to do by Winnebago factory techs. It has worked well so far.

Here are the few steps to keep the mechanisms most happy....

Always
have the engine running, and the coach leveled. The engine running ensures enough voltage is getting to the slide motors, including the full wall slide motors. Being level is just the minimum of stress to everything involved.
I always deploy the bedroom first, then living room, then full wall. I bring them in with the reverse order of that. Full wall, living room, bedroom.

To calibrate motors on Lippert track system curbside slides (this is not for the full wall slide):
Rock both switches, (one at a time) 4 times for one second each click...meaning..out (1 sec), in (1 sec), out (1 sec), in (1 sec), out (1 sec), in (1 sec), out (1 sec), in (1 sec) and release. (I would do the calibration about every 4 cycles of deployment and bringing slides in).
Now you can go ahead and operate each slide. When it reaches all the way out, hold the switch for 2 seconds and release. You're done for now, enjoy the coach.

When getting ready to bring slides in, again start the engine. From a cold engine start, I always run it on fast idle. After ignition, activate cruise control, run engine up to 900 rpm and hit "set". The cruise will run it up a few more rpm and then run steady. It's best for the engine, and you're airing up faster too while tending to slide operation. After bringing in the full wall slide, press the slide lock switch and hold until you hear the lock motor stop (to be fully locked) then release. Same when unlocking.

So now that you're calibrated on curb side slides, before bringing them in, do this first.....depress the "out" switch for 2 seconds and release. Then depress "in" and bring the slide in. When it comes to a stop, hold the switch for 2 seconds and release. When deploying the next time, do the reverse: Press and hold "in" for 2 seconds and release, then deploy slide, when it comes to a stop, hold switch for 2 seconds and release. Now all that's left is turn slide "power" key off, run up and cut off the cruise control (down to slow idle), retract jacks, and do the rest of check list before departure. It will become second nature in no time, and by then not as time consuming as reading this!

I do hope this is helpful, and my wording of it all is not confusing.
Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Old 06-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thank you very much ELECTRA 225
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Tom: I don't know your budget so take what I'm stating with open eyes.

There were quite a few useful upgrades from the 2011 to the 2012 Tour QD. The 2012 was the last year for power gear slides (very dependable). Engine was upped to 450hp, larger front tires, etc.,.

I'm not a shill or anything like that, but LazyDays (Florida) is expecting a 2012 Tour QD at any time. It's same paint as ours and we have white seating. Their price is never what you pay, I believe it always priced high, so when you leave, in your mind you think "What a great deal we negotiated". Good luck!!
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I am having the same struggle as you... we like the floorplan on the QD.. however, we are concerned about the "full wall" slide.. we would on ANY manufacturer, so we are not bashing WBGO, just full wall slides...

We are struggling with the decision have found the Entegra Coach Aspire 44B.. basically the same, but with four slides.. check it out... hate to throw more mud into your decision making process... but felt it would be worth your while to at least check it out.. as I have...

http://www.entegracoach.com/motorhomes/aspire/

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #16

We liked the 44B Entegra as well - very fancy. I didn't like the LP Aqua hot, what a waste, but it was a beautiful coach and very competitive with the Tour on price, even though the Aspire is the bottom level coach for Entegra.

The full wall slide on mine is the least of my worry - it moves just great. It's those Schwviska Schwintecks on the other side that worry me all the time.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi, I have been on this website awhile but never on the Winnebago site even though I have a 1999 35c adventurer. We are about to upgrade and I was convinced I wanted a 40 ft diesel pusher from Newmar. From all I had researched it seemed like the best quality even though I like my Winnie. We have fallen in love with the Itasca ellipse 42QD floor plan. I wanted to see from those of you that have them if there have been any problems with them? Also, the maxum chassis ride vs the Spartan ride? We were convinced to stay at 40ft but love the floorplan and can't find anything we like nearlyas much in a 40ft model, has there been any issues with an rv over 40ft as far as rv parks, state laws, etc? Also, any comments on gas mileage if you have any. Appreciate your help. tom
The QD is a great floor plan. If you are looking to go a bit smaller the 40U is the QD less the rear bath and a smaller pantry. I know there are other changes but, over all it is very similar. We love ours. Getting into state and national parks can be a challenge with the 40' but anything over won't fit in most of these parks.

No RV is without problems. This is a fact. The '11 seems to be having less problems than the 2012+ coaches because of slide issues. Once that issue is fixed they tend to hold up fairly well.

The 40U is in the Winnebago Journey and Itasca Meridian models.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
The QD is a great floor plan. If you are looking to go a bit smaller the 40U is the QD less the rear bath and a smaller pantry. I know there are other changes but, over all it is very similar. We love ours. Getting into state and national parks can be a challenge with the 40' but anything over won't fit in most of these parks.

No RV is without problems. This is a fact. The '11 seems to be having less problems than the 2012+ coaches because of slide issues. Once that issue is fixed they tend to hold up fairly well.

The 40U is in the Winnebago Journey and Itasca Meridian models.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
or the 42E that is the Journey or Meridian with both baths but kind of reverse of the QD Tour/Ellipse
Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

a little confused

Thanks for all the great info but I am a little confused. Is the full wall slide a problem and may become a problem in the future? Are there certain years to stay away from? Sounds like 2011 and 2012 were the last year for the power gear slide which two-niner said were very dependable. Also, will the bigger 450 engine get better gas mileage than the 400hp? thank you everyone, quite an education.

Also, are the 40u models in the journey and meridian nice. Other than 2 feet smaller, are they just not as well appointed and do they seem cramped after seeing the 42 ft ellipse. Thanks, value your experience and opinions.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info but I am a little confused. Is the full wall slide a problem and may become a problem in the future? Are there certain years to stay away from? Sounds like 2011 and 2012 were the last year for the power gear slide which two-niner said were very dependable. Also, will the bigger 450 engine get better gas mileage than the 400hp? thank you everyone, quite an education.

Also, are the 40u models in the journey and meridian nice. Other than 2 feet smaller, are they just not as well appointed and do they seem cramped after seeing the 42 ft ellipse. Thanks, value your experience and opinions.
The 42E Meridian would be closer to the size of the 42QD Ellipse. The full wall slide is power gear driven on the Meridian and Ellipse. It is the smaller slides that are on the Schwinteck.

Tags
itasca