Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Ellipse

About to take the plunge and get our very first Class A motorhome. Looking very seriously at a 2011 Itasca Ellipse. Also been looking at Phaeton, Aspire and Diplomat but this Ellipse has just about every feature we have been looking for from being a bath and 1/2 to an entertainment center that sits across from an L shape couch. Is there anything in particular I should be looking closely at when we go to look at this coach? Any common issues with that year and model?
Tinkertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertom View Post
About to take the plunge and get our very first Class A motorhome. Looking very seriously at a 2011 Itasca Ellipse. Also been looking at Phaeton, Aspire and Diplomat but this Ellipse has just about every feature we have been looking for from being a bath and 1/2 to an entertainment center that sits across from an L shape couch. Is there anything in particular I should be looking closely at when we go to look at this coach? Any common issues with that year and model?
Had a '12 which spent half of the first year in the shop (Camping World.) Hopefully your's will have all the bugs out of it.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would investigate the slide mechanisms it uses..

Powergear = Good
Lippert = Not so good (from what I've read on these forums)

My GF absolutely fell in LOVE with the Ellipse last year at the Chicago RV show and has been gushing about it ever since.. I liked everything about it too.. but, with spending that kind of money.. I'm just not sure if I would consider WBGO a "premier" coach builder... Don't get me wrong.. I REALLY like my current Itasca and we are VERY happy with its performance, fit and finish.. but spending the kinda money you're about to is a whole 'nother level.. Do yourself a favor and look at the Tiffin, Entegra and/or Newmar lines...

Again, not bashing WBGO... but I think the other lines treat their higher end units with a little bit more "special attention"... The $400k Ellipse can go down the assembly line right in between two $80k Class C's... just my two cents

Good Luck...

Personally.. I like the Entegra Aspire 44B...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have a 2012 42QD and love it. A 2011 will have the Power Gear slides. Go for it!!
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2014 Ellipse 40QD. we got it in Nov. 2015. We really like it. Handles great, have had minmal problems. I do find the A/C heat pumps a bit noisy. But other then that, we find the quality better then our 2012 Tiffin.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just a quick note about the Lippert slides, I own a 2014 42QD. I was told by a factory person (no definite time line included) that the mechanisms have been redesigned and beefed up. If we choose we can have the current mechanisms replaced with the new design, I think on Winnie's dime. If that plan doesn't change along the way, it would appear a nice gesture from them to get this right once and for all. We'll see what happens. I think the ones that had the most trouble were with the single track, not the double top and bottom, I may be wrong.

Anyway, knock on wood mine have been functioning ok, just had an adjustment made once. The factory also told me it's always a good idea to have your engine running while operating the slides, You are sure to have the correct amount of voltage needed to operate the slide motors that way. I originally thought the voltage source was from the house batteries and shore power, they told me not so. It comes solely from the coach batteries fueled by the engine.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If it power gear ok. Lippert run don't look back. I have a neighbor with a 2015 every trip it goes in for slide problems. No kidding run. I do love their interior. Did I say run if Lippert?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ask him if he's running that engine when operating the slides. I got mine out of adjustment by not doing so. It really is that important, I was just lucky enough to have someone tell me before I had it all jacked out of shape. Been fine since. I hope this suggestion will help your neighbor and his aggravation is at an end. The original Lippert stuff was a pain in the posterior to say the very least. Just a bad design simple as that. I'm told that Power Gear purchased Lippert, there is now a light at the end of that tunnel.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Electra225
Thanks for the advice. Yes he's very astute and has owned Class A's for years. Like many with the Lippert system he's just stuck. I know from reading the many troubling post on Thor owners forum that Lippert systems really are an engineering experiment in progress. The system appears to handle smaller slides but the FWS is the major issue and also that of Thor owners. Good news is your statement PG has purchased Lippert.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Electra 225
Actually, Lippert purchased PowerGear and looks like they are buying up as many of the suppliers to RV manufacturers as they can get their hands on. The newest Lippert slide mechanism is the 3rd iteration and looks much more robust than the earlier generations.
It is somewhat unfortunate that manufacturers like Winnebago got into them do quickly without - in hindsight - much cycle testing but Winnebago has a history of grabbing cost cutting opportunities without adequate evaluation in my personal experience. Fortunately, if they stand behind them beyond the warranty, the owner will not be left hanging and out of pocket considerable dollars.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hello Bob,
I evidently was given backwards information, I then stand corrected. Boy I really have my hopes up for this situation nevertheless.

I am in hopes they have went as far as to over build it. I would (think) they have realized the cost of all of this, and just build the components so you can't break it. Costs more sure, but it's once and done. Costing less in the long run for all. Call me crazy but I'm just sayin'.

The Ellipse is a great coach, the Tour as well of course. IMHO I believe it is one of the best if not the best "bang for the buck" units out there. For the price point with the amount of space, storage, and amenities all considered.

Safe travels all
Old 01-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
... Don't get me wrong.. I REALLY like my current Itasca and we are VERY happy with its performance, fit and finish.. but spending the kinda money you're about to is a whole 'nother level.. Do yourself a favor and look at the Tiffin, Entegra and/or Newmar lines...

Again, not bashing WBGO... but I think the other lines treat their higher end units with a little bit more "special attention"... The $400k Ellipse can go down the assembly line right in between two $80k Class C's... just my two cents

Good Luck...

Personally.. I like the Entegra Aspire 44B...
Wow... not bashing Winnebago? How's that for brand loyalty? Winnebago is likely the most successful and prominent builder in the industry and overall, a good reputation for customer service. At least that's been my first hand experience having had three of their DP's. Then again, I reckon I can't attest for the "special attention" of the other lines.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

2011 Itasca Meridian

Specifically bought a 2011 Meridian Coach to avoid the later years slide problems. Ours is the 40U and we absolutely love it, both for layout and fit & finish.
We had one problem with the power gear slides. 2 days before leaving for the Keys, wife was putting out the drivers slide to aid packing for the trip.
She heard a "Clunk" and called me. All 4 of the rollers that support the slide had broken in half and fallen off. Called 3 dealers and all stated that they are only available on special order @$21.00 each. Solution: phoned a local machine shop and had them make 8 rollers from aluminum. The original ones were make from plastic. Had them the next day and replaced the 4 on each slide, now everything works smoothly. We still love this coach and would recommend this model to anyone
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Nice coach, I just wish they had a side radiator.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Yeah Becks I'm inclined to agree for sure. Self done maintenance would be more possible/easy. I'm pleased that they do have a good design for airflow from the driver side. It does a fine job, stays clean and breathes well, better than the old days rear radiators for sure. Really no comparison (rear radiator, sucks air from the side), and slobber tube issues gone.

We'll see what they do with the yet to come Winnebago IND resurrected Country Coach high line of the near future. Surely those will have a side radiator.....I'm anxious to see, I hope they end up being bad a....

W.D.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Lippert bought Power Gear! IMO not good, no my opinion doesn't matter, just stinks! There goes another very good vendor in an already lacking QC RV industry. Bummer!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Nice coach, I just wish they had a side radiator.
Guess what? The new Tour (and Ellipse) have side radiator!
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Peterson
Did you see the side radiator Tour/Ellipse at the RV show or?
I've been searching for it and can't find anything about it.

Thanks,
W.D.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

From reading just wasn't completely clear -- Do 2012s (and up) have Lippert slides? So 2011 and down would be Power Gear...

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Electra 225
The new Grand Tour 45RL - which i believe is being introduced as a 2017 model - had a side rad. It appears to be the high end of the Grand Tour product line and the side rad, along with air leveling are offered as options. The 45RL sheet handed out also indicates it comes with Freighliner's UltraSteer - their new steerable tag axle as standard equipment. Believe they had the prototype on display at the Tampa show. It is not clear on the product sheet product out if these options would also be available on the 43 foot Grand Tour models although they were included on the same sheet - the UltraSteer is clearly only available on the 45RL and is indicated as such.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca