Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca Eclipse 42GD ?

We are at the Tampa Supershow & fell in love with the 2013 Itasca Eclipse 42GD. With the exception of only 1 sink in the bathroom this model with it's 55' Samsung TV on the wall is so innovative compared to Tiffin, Monaco or Newmar floorplans we're seeing.

We currently own a Tiffin Phaeton which we love, we are comfortable with the Tiffin products & know very little about Winnebago/Itasca products. We are full timers so need a coach that is durable as well as reliable. We researched Tiffin for 2 years before committing to buy, I guess it's time to start doing the same with Itasca.

Any experienced diesel Itasca/Winnebago owners feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The name says it all - Winnebago. If that nameplate is on the coach you know it's top quality!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes the quality is there, we have over 9000 miles on our 2012 Journey and love it. No major problems
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ah, Forest City vs. Red Bay....................

I would have no problem with either brand. I chose my current Itasca because of the obvious quality. The interior cabinetry is first class. The mechanicals impressed me. I am a retired mechanic, and while the wife and her sister were ohhing and ahhing about the interior, I was crawling around under the rig. Freightliner makes a really solid chassis, and I was also impressed with how robust the gear for the slides and jacks was.

In five years I have had only one fairly minor problem - a loose connection in the basement air conditioner. Every time I get under the rig I am impressed again with the quality.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

We bought the 2013 Itasca Ellipse 42GD in September. We opted for the all electric. We absolutely love it!. We have had it out on 4-5 trips now. The longest was from Indiana to Texas, to Mississippi, then back to Indiana. We had a few problems covered by warranty. We hope to make it our full time home within a year. I can't say enough about it, what's not to love. My husband is a TVoholic, so the big high definition TV is great with the head-on seat so he has no craning of the neck like with most coaches (and room for me to snuggle beside him.) I love the full length wardrobe and FULL SIZE dresser drawers. Big shower is great, neither one of us is tiny! We have the hassocks that double as coffee tables and storage inside. I had checked out virtually every floorplan on line even of the Highest end rigs and saw nothing I liked as well as this! My advice is GO FOR IT! We have the driver and passenger seats with the back and leg massagers. Those are great on a longer trip.
Irene and Jim.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yup go for it! We too are at the Tampa show...our name is on the Tour 42qd at the Winnebago site!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

A couple more things about the Ellipse 42GD - it is SOLID driving. With the tag axle they do NOT get blown around. The engine is powerful enough to haul a tow without difficulty. The 150 gallon fuel tank lets us go from Indiana to Mississippi without having to refuel. The generator is very quiet. We like the "home feel" of the GD. Most RVs even with the slides out still feel like a "tube." On the GD your living room is NOT what you walk into when you enter. I'd rather they walk into the kitchen where I'm NOT sitting. Plus the floor plan separates it off to seem more like a separate room. On the GD the fridge is directly behind the DW, so it minimizes "out of seat-belt" time while she is serving me my diet cherry pepsi's as I drive. The bedroom ceiling fan with recessed LED lighting is both romantic and you don't need the A/C on all the time when it's a little too warm, just turn the fan on.

One bathroom isn't a problem for us. We didn't buy this as a family coach, its a luxury coach for the two of us. It has a ton of space in the medicine cabinets. The storage area above the toilet is terrific for cleaning and laundry products. The washer and dryer (separate units) have great capacity.

The kitchen's Dishwasher provides all the storage space you need for dishes. The two or three dishes and one pot or pan used for meal prep and eating are easily washed by hand.

I know a lot of 42QDers like the fireplace. Sorry, but the fake flames remind me WAAAAYYYY too much of something you'd see in a ride at Disneyworld (Pirates of the Caribbean). Its already got AquaHot heating in the all-electric model.

Jim and Irene
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Jim,

how does that IFS handle on that Tour? also, when on the road how tight is it to walk back to the bathroom when the slides are in. I do like that 55inch TV for sure.

I know we have been doing our homework and almost have it locked down to the 42QD. going to another dealer this weekend to see how it handles and start doign some number crunching....

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
Jim,

how does that IFS handle on that Tour? also, when on the road how tight is it to walk back to the bathroom when the slides are in. I do like that 55inch TV for sure.

I know we have been doing our homework and almost have it locked down to the 42QD. going to another dealer this weekend to see how it handles and start doign some number crunching....

Bob
There are 15 inches at the corner of the TV wall/hall and the outside wall. I am 6'2" and weigh 280 - I've got no problem with it. With the coach closed the couch and swivel chair are 9 inches apart at the knee - again, not a problem for me. I found the 42 QD to be a tighter fit.

The independent front suspension is terrific, there is virtually no sway, never any porpoising and the 60 degree well cut makes for an amazing turning radius.

Jim
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

We just purchased our 6th Winnebago, a 2013 TourQD and we absolutely love it. We went for the all electric and it was a great decision..no more worry if that propane it going to run out just when you need it. I love the big kitchen with standard size sinks and lots of counter space. Also love having the half bath for guests. The master bath is plenty big with a large shower. It is such a livable coach for us. We like to have folks over and there is plenty of seating. I could go on, but I can tell you the quality is top notch and we couldn't be happier with out new Tour.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

One of the things we had Winnebago do is remove the dishwasher and replace it with a large deep drawer instead of the two drawers they would have usually put there. With the deep drawer, I can store all my pots and pans and not have them in any of the overheads, but right where they should be. I have never opted for the dishwasher since I would have probably never used it for anything but storing things in.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Yup go for it! We too are at the Tampa show...our name is on the Tour 42qd at the Winnebago site!
Congratulations on a great buy.
Irene (and Jim)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #13

"We just purchased our 6th Winnebago, a 2013 TourQD and we absolutely love it. We went for the all electric and it was a great decision..no more worry if that propane it going to run out just when you need it"
Above copied from Glenda1908

Exactly and no more hunting around for it when you're in a new area and don't know where to find it and then have to take the rig to get it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We just came from the Grand Rapids MI show and went ga ga over the 42 GD! Interior fit & finish, layout, systems are very impressive. Other than the dishwasher, which we would probably not use, could not find anything we didn't like. Now for the best price. Let the games begin!
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #15

Now for the best price. Let the games begin!

My DH always says this when someone asks if we got a good deal on a coach..."I may not have gotten a great deal, or a good deal, but I got a deal I can live with".

We have purchased all of our Winnebagos (6) from the same dealer since 1997. They have always treated us fair and square.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobe View Post
We just came from the Grand Rapids MI show and went ga ga over the 42 GD! Interior fit & finish, layout, systems are very impressive. Other than the dishwasher, which we would probably not use, could not find anything we didn't like. Now for the best price. Let the games begin!
That's what I thought about the dishwasher because I wash all my dishes by hand even when we have a few guests. However, the dealer tuned me into the fact that it's a great place to store the dishes and I found it is indeed! The racks are good for the plates and prevents clinking, etc. I get all of my dishes and even some pots in mine. I still have a few things to store in the cabinet above and of course, the flat items go in the drawer below. The only complaint I have about it, is the dishwasher mode has to be on to open it. I'm getting used to that, however.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Trekkers....
Great idea for the dishwasher! The factory rep was at the show a suggested removal for two drawers and said no to one large one. We like your idea better since its already installed. The dealer is advising a protective coating for the interior furniture. The coach has the angora decor package. Is keeping it clean particularly difficult? Just the two of us, no pets.
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobe View Post
Trekkers....
Great idea for the dishwasher! The factory rep was at the show a suggested removal for two drawers and said no to one large one. We like your idea better since its already installed. The dealer is advising a protective coating for the interior furniture. The coach has the angora decor package. Is keeping it clean particularly difficult? Just the two of us, no pets.
Thanks. Another thing a different dealer told us was that when and if we resell it, the value is better with the dishwasher. I don't know. I did run it once to make sure it works and also, I think I might run it from time to time just for cleaning. That probably beats wiping out a shelf or drawer.

About the protective coat, no one even mentioned that to us, so I didn't even know it was an option. It is mainly just the two of us also, but our son, daughter-in-law and 3 year old granddaughter did stay in it at Christmas time. We haven't noticed any problem. We have only had it since September and even though we have used it significantly, I can't say that that is long enough to give a definitive answer. We have the lightest color interior, the couch is almost white (by going to the Itasca website I found manilla is the color name) and the chairs are the light color background with a brown tree pattern. So there chould be a possibility of staining, I guess. Now that we know there is a possibility of having a coating put on it, we probably will not! smile
Irene (and Jim)
Old 01-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #19

Oh, there is one more feature that I really like that I forgot to mention. The placement of the vac pan is really nice. It is just on the island sink cabinet opposite the table. so if you get a few crumbs on the floor during food prep or while eating, a little wisk and kick the plate and swish, it's vacuumed away. Not need to get out the vacuum attachments or dust pan. I keep a very little whisk broom right under the sink, so it is very convenient, quick and done.
If you are starting to get the impression tht I really, really like my 42 GD, you are absolutley right!
Irene (and Jim)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
We just purchased our 6th Winnebago, a 2013 TourQD and we absolutely love it. We went for the all electric and it was a great decision..no more worry if that propane it going to run out just when you need it. I love the big kitchen with standard size sinks and lots of counter space. Also love having the half bath for guests. The master bath is plenty big with a large shower. It is such a livable coach for us. We like to have folks over and there is plenty of seating. I could go on, but I can tell you the quality is top notch and we couldn't be happier with out new Tour.
I'm curious about you statement about "We went for the all electric..."

While I do understand the "looking for LP" can be somewhat is a minor burden, do you do much boon-docking?

What was/were the decision criterion that moved you to all electric?

Tags
itasca