Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

is it a 16,000 or 18,000 pound chassis?

Just took delivery on a 2014 winnebago vista 31ke. There are 3 stickers below the driver side window. The first is a ford sticker that says it was built on an 18,000 pound chassis. The second is a winnebago sticker that says it was built on an 18,000 pound chassis (a duplicate of this sticker is affixed to the inside of the owners manual bag). The third is a winnebago sticker that indicates a carrying capacity of around 2000 pounds. A duplicate of the third sticker was on (not attached and still affixed to the wax paper type backing) the screen door except that this sticker indicates a carrying capacity of around 4000 pounds.

All the winnebago sales literature indicates that the 31ke is only availabe on the 16,000 pound chassis.

So i will call winnebago to see what they say but after just finishing the long buying process my trust in the industry is currently MIA.

Is there a nice easy way for me verify the load rating myself? Is there a nice prominent label on the chassis somewhere that I should look for?
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Legally, the Ford sticker has to be correct or they could get in lots of trouble. It sounds as if the vehicle is now being built on a heavier chassis which is good news for you.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Just took delivery on a 2014 winnebago vista 31ke. There are 3 stickers below the driver side window. The first is a ford sticker that says it was built on an 18,000 pound chassis. The second is a winnebago sticker that says it was built on an 18,000 pound chassis (a duplicate of this sticker is affixed to the inside of the owners manual bag). The third is a winnebago sticker that indicates a carrying capacity of around 2000 pounds. A duplicate of the third sticker was on (not attached and still affixed to the wax paper type backing) the screen door except that this sticker indicates a carrying capacity of around 4000 pounds.

All the winnebago sales literature indicates that the 31ke is only availabe on the 16,000 pound chassis.

So i will call winnebago to see what they say but after just finishing the long buying process my trust in the industry is currently MIA.

Is there a nice easy way for me verify the load rating myself? Is there a nice prominent label on the chassis somewhere that I should look for?
You could copy down the VIN number and go to the Ford website to verify the chassis capacity.

Also I wouldn't rely too much on the Winnebago Literature. It's generally printed at the start of the model year and never changed even though the product itself does change.

When we were looking for a 2013 Adventurer we got all the available literature. When it came time to make a purchase we started looking at dealer websites to see what we could find. Much to our surprise the ones at the dealers didn't look anything like the ones in the brochures. It seems Winnebago had changed the styling mid-year and none of the literature reflected it. In 2013 Adventurers built before October 1st looked exactly like the 2012 models. Those built after October 1st look like the 2014 models.

When we called the factory to verify the changes we were told the literature is printed only once at the beginning of the model year. Any changes made throughout the year won't be reflected. We were also told that literature is not updated throughout the year, so if there's an error in the original literature it won't be corrected.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Someone may need to proof read their online brochures or some engineers/marketing directors need to be drug tested.

Yes, the brochure for the 31KE says 16,000# GVWR and then 23,000# GCWR. 7,000# difference with a 5,000# hitch. WTH!?

The next shorter version is 18,000# GVWR. I have not seen when the next longer version of any manufacturer's model has a higher GVWR then it's longer cousin. Might be one out there, just haven't see that.

Here is another marvel. If you have an 18,000# or a 22,000# GVWR and load each axle to it rated weight, you will exceed the GVWR by 1000#. For the 16,000# that difference goes up to 1,500#.

I had something similar with my Adventurer with the GVWR 500# less than the combined axle ratings and though that was odd. Is it just me that finds that a tad odd? :bang head:

At this point, the only thing that I think would be the limiting factor is the tranny/drive shaft combinations used. WAIT...I did see something else and that was wheel size but even that isn't consistent. 2 of the models (including the 31KE) with 19.5" wheels list at 16,000# GVWR and 2 at 18,000#. Nope...can't figure that one out either.

I think I have to disagree with Docj on who is legally responsible for the weight stickers. I believe the MH manufacturer who puts the coach on is responsible. As an example, my DSDP front axle is rated by Spartan at 14,600# but Newmar derated it to 14,200# because of tire selection.

Personally, I've read some stories where some Winnebago products had a final CCC that was so minimal after being optioned out that it was nearly useless. I would want 4 corner weights after it was built and if they were not sufficient to do the job cancel the sale. It is ridiculous that any manufacturer can't provide a very good estimated UVW and axle weights for a prospective buyer before it is built and be within a few percentage points for minor variations.

I hope the OP got the 18,000# blessing and the brochures were wrong. Still, keep an eye on that rear axle weight regardless. It can get loaded up fairly fast and limit use of the "sticker CCC".

End of rant.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Someone may need to proof read their online brochures or some engineers/marketing directors need to be drug tested.

Yes, the brochure for the 31KE says 16,000# GVWR and then 23,000# GCWR. 7,000# difference with a 5,000# hitch. WTH!?

The next shorter version is 18,000# GVWR. I have not seen when the next longer version of any manufacturer's model has a higher GVWR then it's longer cousin. Might be one out there, just haven't see that.

Here is another marvel. If you have an 18,000# or a 22,000# GVWR and load each axle to it rated weight, you will exceed the GVWR by 1000#. For the 16,000# that difference goes up to 1,500#.

I had something similar with my Adventurer with the GVWR 500# less than the combined axle ratings and though that was odd. Is it just me that finds that a tad odd? :bang head:

At this point, the only thing that I think would be the limiting factor is the tranny/drive shaft combinations used. WAIT...I did see something else and that was wheel size but even that isn't consistent. 2 of the models (including the 31KE) with 19.5" wheels list at 16,000# GVWR and 2 at 18,000#. Nope...can't figure that one out either.

I think I have to disagree with Docj on who is legally responsible for the weight stickers. I believe the MH manufacturer who puts the coach on is responsible. As an example, my DSDP front axle is rated by Spartan at 14,600# but Newmar derated it to 14,200# because of tire selection.

Personally, I've read some stories where some Winnebago products had a final CCC that was so minimal after being optioned out that it was nearly useless. I would want 4 corner weights after it was built and if they were not sufficient to do the job cancel the sale. It is ridiculous that any manufacturer can't provide a very good estimated UVW and axle weights for a prospective buyer before it is built and be within a few percentage points for minor variations.

I hope the OP got the 18,000# blessing and the brochures were wrong. Still, keep an eye on that rear axle weight regardless. It can get loaded up fairly fast and limit use of the "sticker CCC".

End of rant.
RV's that are manufactured by an auto company and then "modified" by an RV company will always have two stickers. One is installed by the manufacturer of the chassis and will provide the particulars of the "vehicle" they have produced. Remember, even if it has nothing more than a temporary seat installed on a Class A chassis, it is still legally a motor vehicle and has to conform to all NHTSA rules. Quite often there is a VIN number from the chassis manufacturer and a different one from the coach builder. Our Class C was sold as a 2005 but the chassis VIN showed it was a 2004 Ford chassis.

Therefore, Ford has to put a sticker on that describes the vehicle it built. If they show a chassis GVWR then it has to be correct because they would be in violation of NHTSA and DOT rules if it wasn't. If Winnebago loads it up with stuff that increases the curb weight that doesn't change the manufacturer's GVWR.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I see nothing confusing or misleading about the information provided by Winnebago. Often times the GVWR or GCWR of the chassis is more than the finished vehicle. The numbers for the GVWR and GCWR of the chassis provided on the Winnebago site are exactly the same as those provided by Ford:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2014_LoRes.pdf

There's a footnote at the bottom of the Winnebago page that says:
"Actual towing capacity is dependent on your particular loading and towing circumstances which includes the GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR as well as adequate trailer brakes. Please refer to the Operator's Manual of your vehicle for further towing information."

The GAWR for each axle is just that. It is an independent measurement of how much each axle can support. Both axles must be loaded to stay within the GAWR without exceeding the GVWR. If the front axle is loaded to the maximum 7,000 lbs. the rear must then only be loaded to 9,000 lbs. to stay within the GVWR.

Winnebago derates the towing capacity to 5,000 lbs. by installing a class III hitch. Much the same as the manufacturer has derated your front axle capacity by installing different tires.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

End of rant.
I see nothing confusing or misleading about the information provided by Winnebago. Often times the GVWR or GCWR of the chassis is more than the finished vehicle. The numbers for the GVWR and GCWR of the chassis provided on the Winnebago site are exactly the same as those provided by Ford:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/Class_A_brochure-2014_LoRes.pdf

There's a footnote at the bottom of the Winnebago page that says:
"Actual towing capacity is dependent on your particular loading and towing circumstances which includes the GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR as well as adequate trailer brakes. Please refer to the Operator's Manual of your vehicle for further towing information."

The GAWR for each axle is just that. It is an independent measurement of how much each axle can support not a cumulative amount the entire vehicle can carry. Both axles must be loaded to stay within the GAWR without exceeding the GVWR. If the front axle is loaded to the maximum 7,000 lbs. the rear must then only be loaded to 9,000 lbs. to stay within the GVWR.

Winnebago derates the towing capacity to 5,000 lbs. by installing a class III hitch. Much the same as the manufacturer has derated your front axle capacity by installing different tires.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well Winnebago came through. Sent me the "vehicle weight evaluation" (image should be below) for my coach. This document shows that the unit WAS built on an 18,000 lb chassis. It also shows the weights at all four corners with tanks full. It's about 100 lbs heavier on the left (that's the side the slide is on) with 61.8% of the weight in the rear (is that a good ratio?). Best thing is it has at least 4177 lbs carrying capacity.

Link to image... http://imgur.com/cm2cgi0
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

emcee, thanks for the follow-up. I looked at the yellow sticker on the screen door of a 31KE and the OCCC was 2001 pounds. The only included option was the front bunk. Looks like docj was right and Winnebago went to the beefier 18,000 lb chassis. Maybe your unit was built just after the change and someone used an old sticker!
HOHDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

One easy way to tell -- The 16K has 225-19.5 tires and the 18K has 245-19.5.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Well Winnebago came through. Sent me the "vehicle weight evaluation" (image should be below) for my coach. This document shows that the unit WAS built on an 18,000 lb chassis. It also shows the weights at all four corners with tanks full. It's about 100 lbs heavier on the left (that's the side the slide is on) with 61.8% of the weight in the rear (is that a good ratio?). Best thing is it has at least 4177 lbs carrying capacity.

Link to image... http://imgur.com/cm2cgi0
Is this something that Winnebago can/will provide for any coach? Would be very useful when shopping to send Vin and get report.

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by szn8tt View Post
Is this something that Winnebago can/will provide for any coach? Would be very useful when shopping to send Vin and get report.
I was able to get a partial version of this report from Winnebago for a coach (Vista 30T) on a dealer lot. I just submitted the VIN via email.
Definitely nice to know.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by szn8tt View Post
I was able to get a partial version of this report from Winnebago for a coach (Vista 30T) on a dealer lot. I just submitted the VIN via email.
Definitely nice to know.
I don't know why this critical info isn't provided with each coach at delivery.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

I don't know why this critical info isn't provided with each coach at delivery.
Because often times it is scary and should be a deal breaker.

Tags
chassis