Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are relatively new fulltimers and have loved our Meridian -- but my wife saw the new 2008 40' Tour TD (or Ellipse 40TD) and loved it. So, we are entertaining the idea of trading up to one. Since I can go most anywhere (now in Florida, but will be in the Midwest in the summer), which dealer have you folks found offers a good deal and is good to work with regarding service?

Thanks!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are relatively new fulltimers and have loved our Meridian -- but my wife saw the new 2008 40' Tour TD (or Ellipse 40TD) and loved it. So, we are entertaining the idea of trading up to one. Since I can go most anywhere (now in Florida, but will be in the Midwest in the summer), which dealer have you folks found offers a good deal and is good to work with regarding service?

Thanks!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Rick,
We just got a new Itasca Ellipse TD from John Bleakley RV (Douglassville, Ga)...just east of Atlanta. Call or write Andy Skinner (internet manager). We live in Knoxville, and Bleakley's blew 3 dealers we shopped out of the water with their pricing proposal. Delivery was as planned, completely hassle and pain free. We love the TD floorplan also. Andy is absolutely top notch. I've already heard from him twice (follow-up notes) and we've only had the Ellipse since end of December. Anyway, hope this helps-----feel free to write if any other questions.
Mike
smike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

...sorry Rick. I meant just west of Atlanta!!
smike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Rick:

I can personally vouch for a great dealer in the midwest....Winnebago Motorhome Sales in Rockford, Il. We bought our used Journey from them and they treated us very well before, during and after the sale. While we were there, we met several customers who confirmed their outstanding service. It is a family owned and operated business and they seem to have their act together.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Give Indiana DeMartini RV a chance to quote you an Itasca price.
Google their website.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Rick, I agree with Mike, Bleakley RV in Douglasville is a top notch dealer for a good deal and for any problems afterward. We will be back to see them when the time comes for another coach. Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We've been to two SunCoast dealerships for maintenance problems and they are fantastic to deal with.
Wish they were in NY.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I almost hate to bring it up in a public forum due to the love-hate relationship people have with Lazydays, but we bought our coach (ordered it) at Lazydays in Seffner, Fl and got an excellent deal with absolutely no hassles, pressure, or surprises at closing. I asked for and got 25% off the Winnie list price with no wining or histrionics on our respective parts.

Lazydays' sales process is finely tuned and works extremely well, at least in our experience.

They are fairly unique in that you can wander around a hundred coaches and walk into any of them without a sales person sniffing around. We found even the half-million dollar Country Coach open for inspection! You get a free breakfast and lunch to boot!

Lazydays does not excel in service, but based on our service experiences literally across the country, they aren't that bad, either.

If we were in the market for another coach, I guarantee you we would look there first.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Stay away from Suncoast in Winter Garden/Orlando. They raked us over the coals. Finance guy was probably the biggest (no pun) liar I have ever met. They never followed up on outstanding issues. Would never buy from them again. Service guys arent that bad - but sales experience stunk.
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I suggest you do as I did since you have no ties to a region or particular dealer. First, determine what floor plan and colors you desire. Then call Winnebago sales and ask for a list of dealers that have that unit on their lot. Start calling dealers and negotiate over the phone. Tell them you are willing to travel to their location for the best deal. I got 26% off MSRP and the exact Horizon I wanted at Leach Camper Sales in Lincoln, Nebraska.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv rick:

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LazyDays in Sefner, Florida is good for sales but as John mentioned their service can be very, very, very inconsistent. Their service advisors don't seem to be chosen for their technical knowledge of how RV's need to be serviced or how they work and are only paper pushers and very disorganized ones at that.

Harberson Swanston in Holiday, Florida gets better marks for service and is good on the sales floor but may not be able to cut as good a deal as LazyDays.

Where ever you purchase make sure you don't get a salt laden coach driven down South from the North. New coaches delivered to Southern dealerships in the winter or early spring can rot out in a very short time after the warrenty expires and experience a ton of electrical, ground and mechanical problems much more so than a clean coach that has never seen a salty road in its lifetime. Even if the dealership brags on their program of cleaning up salty coaches the job done can vary greatly depending on what type of day the guy holding the cleaning wand is having.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I don't have any personal experience since I have never purchased a new coach but I have read on this forum that a lot of people are very satisfied with Lichtsinn RV (www.lichtsinn.com) in Forrest City Iowa just a one mile from the factory. They are also a Chevrolet dealer. Since you are planning on being in the Midwest anyway they might be one to consider.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

5 miles on coach at delivery!

LICHTSINN MOTORS, INC.

P. O. BOX 326
826 HIGHWAY 69 NORTH
FOREST CITY, IA 50436
Phone: (641) 585-3213
Online: www.lichtsinn.com
Email: [email protected]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
LazyDays in Sefner, Florida is good for sales but as John mentioned their service can be very, very, very inconsistent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Myers in Hamburg, NY beat LazyDays best, BEST cash offer on a factory ordered Suncruiser by &gt;$12,000.

LD wants to sell from stock. They do not want to deal on a factory order.

-Tom
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Get a bid from Lewis RV in Dayton, OH.

But they don't have much interest in taking a trade.

http://lewis-rv.com/

-Tom
Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
LazyDays in Sefner, Florida is good for sales but as John mentioned their service can be very, very, very inconsistent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Myers in Hamburg, NY beat LazyDays best, BEST cash offer on a factory ordered Suncruiser by &gt;$12,000.

LD wants to sell from stock. They do not want to deal on a factory order.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I would avoid a factory order during the winter months especially if I was in the South. Don't want a coach that is already on it's way to an early grave from road salt. I have seen too many coaches that look beautifull up above only to find the bin frames and everything underneath already severly damaged by road salt that was not cleaned up properly before exposing it to Southern temps and humidity. To each his own but unless I was planning on flipping the coach after a year or so no winter coaches for me.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Part of Winnebago's required dealer PDI is to pressure wash the undercarraige, if a winter delivery. The buyer and dealer sign off on this PDI.

-Tom
Old 02-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
--snip-- LD wants to sell from stock. They do not want to deal on a factory order.
-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We had absolutely no pressure to buy from inventory vs. ordering and had no problem getting 25% off an ordered coach. No muss, no fuss.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I agree with John. When we were looking for an insurance replacement for totaled 04 Journey Lazy Days had exactly the unit we needed an 07 Meridian 34H. Their price was the best anywhere in the country.

The Winne Product was virtually flawless on delivery.

I've heard all the mixed reviews on LD service, but, they have treated us perfectly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
I almost hate to bring it up in a public forum due to the love-hate relationship people have with Lazydays, but we bought our coach (ordered it) at Lazydays in Seffner, Fl and got an excellent deal with absolutely no hassles, pressure, or surprises at closing. I asked for and got 25% off the Winnie list price with no wining or histrionics on our respective parts.

Lazydays' sales process is finely tuned and works extremely well, at least in our experience.

They are fairly unique in that you can wander around a hundred coaches and walk into any of them without a sales person sniffing around. We found even the half-million dollar Country Coach open for inspection! You get a free breakfast and lunch to boot!

Lazydays does not excel in service, but based on our service experiences literally across the country, they aren't that bad, either.

If we were in the market for another coach, I guarantee you we would look there first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote