Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Insurance Suggestions

I'm new to the group. I purchased a 2002 Winnebago Adventure yesterday and got a quote for insurance, but it doesn't cover the roof because of the age of the coach. Is that normal? Any suggestions for an insurance company that does cover roofs? Thanks - Jeff
IMDMNTD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you looking for Collision / Accident insurance? Or Mechanical Breakdown insurance?

I can't imagine that accident insurance would detail out the roof?

About the roof. Winnebago motorhome roofs are VERY different roof designs and need to be checked every 6 months. If the roof material tucked into the side drip rails fails it is possible for your roof to be torn off by the wind as you drive.

Lots of people with older Winnebagos have neglected this and or have made super questionable fixes in the past.

As a new owner of a 20-year old Winnebago motorhome you should get up to speed on this issue ASAP. And don't forget the tire ages and house battery conditions, too. Those are must does for new owners.

Here's a helpful video:

Old 12-07-2021, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the quick reply! My insurance company (Geico) said they don’t cover damages related to bad seals and caulk. I just found that odd since most Rv damage is caused by water around bad seals and caulk. I would like to find a company that does have better roof coverage. I would also like to find mechanical breakdown coverage, too. BTW, thanks for the video!! I’ll get on that ASAP!!
Old 12-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Is that Rod problem common to the Class C rigs too?
Old 12-15-2021, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I noticed the same thing. Since these insurance companies also read social media and RV'ing forums, they are well aware of things they should not cover and roof repairs on Winnies and leaks in nearly all of them are excluded for most economical policies.

I've been with Progressive since I bought my '02 Journey and discovered the caulking issue on the roof and the front window leak issue shortly after purchase. Since they wouldn't cover the roof, spent many many hours researching and came up with my own DIY method of trying to extend the roof's life, along with methods of mitigating any leak problems.

Read about it here, note there are some RV'ers that are just adamant about NOT using tape like I have successfully on both my Class A's. I dunno why, you could actually use both caulking and tape if you want. My Journey is a '02. Articles are ad free: Roof and Roof Items.

Note that Winnebagos have a history of rusted out front window frames due to leaks around the windows and from the upper front running lights so watch for that too: Weather Proofing & Windows...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Jim. Thank you!! The amount information provided was immense and very well presented! I especially like the cross-cut pix showing how the roof was built by Winnie. I’ll definitely use the successes you employed on the roof and caps. I just bought the coach a couple of weeks ago and it’s located in Ohio, so I’ll have to cover it for now and wait for warmer weather before adding any adhesives. Thanks again for replying and providing excellent advice!
Old 12-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Count me as one of those that is anti-tape (i.e. Eternabond). I still have some on my front cap seam. But it's not "eternal" and it's very difficult to remove the "bond." Even when you have to.

I'm going with AZ Expert, James, in Phoenix. It's OK as a flashing but not ideal.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #8

Two things about insurance companies: 1- They are primarily in the business of making money for their shareholders. 2 - They issue insurance for accidental risks. When motorhome roof leaks are almost guaranteed over time, it's no longer a probability but a near certainty. Insurance premiums are based on how often claims are paid out and costs for running a company. If an insurance company were to offer to pay to repair or replace leaky roofs across the board, we would all pay more. It's why people living in a flood plain can get fire insurance but not flood insurance.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I am not anti Eternabond, but Eternabond alone is not strong enough to hold the roof on; it only has 1/2 inch on the top of the gutter upon which to bond. I Eternabonded mine when I bought the coach, and when I encountered heavy winds in western Iowa this September, the caulk failed, and the ETB was unable to prevent a portion of the roof from lifting off. I will say the ETB did prevent the entire roof from being lifted off. I didn't know to check the bond before I covered it up with ETB. I ended up scraping out the old caulk with a painters tool, and used lacquer thinner and the pointy end of the painters tool to thoroughly clean the j channel and glued it in the j channel with copious amounts of 3m 4200. I am trying to figure out how to remove the ETB residue without having that solvent ruin my new roof sealing job. I could just recover it with Eternabond and re-seal it in 10 years.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Roger that springator! I once lived in Moore Oklahoma. My premiums raised though I never made a claim.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the Sightseer. Ours is a 2012 33c. We really enjoy it. I have done the roof recaulking and keep and eye on it. Not terribly difficult but important. Any weak area along those side seams could be caught by the right wind.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The only time I have ever seen an insurance company pay anything for a roof is after the owners got a little too close to an overhang and damaged the roof.....AKA COLLISION DAMAGE
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote