Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Insulation Modification

We had this in our last MH and it made quite a bit of difference. I'm sure there are others out there that have done the same thing.

The material is Reflectix and can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, and camping supply centers. Comes in 16, 24, and 48 inch by 25ft.

Just a few pictures. (2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD)

Top portion of linen closet, rear bathroom
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	182183

Bottom portion of linen closet, rear bathroom

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	182182

Left bedroom closet (Right one is DW's side and she already filled it)

Name:	IMG_0732 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	596.0 KB
ID:	182184

We did the same to the overhead cabinets on the outside walls and the ceiling of the cabinets. When the slide is out the topper does not do a good job of reducing heat.

Not difficult work, but measure twice (or 3 times, (don't ask me how I know) and cut once. In the overhead cabinets I cut about 1/4 inch taller. Set the bottom of the strip in and push the top, crimping it and just the pressure keeps it in place. For ceiling and big closets I used a roll of sticky back Velcro cut into 1-1/2 inch squares or there about.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice job! We did our front cabinets above the drivers area and it worked great. I used multiple layers as the sun really warmed up the area exposed to the windshield behind the cabinet. The fiberglass was insulated by Winnebago, but they did nothing for the windshield in this area.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Great idea! I think double faced carpet tape would secure these panels a bit better. Also, this must brighten up those dark areas allot.

Once, many years ago, I bought a material like that. It was not well made and the finish rubbed off. This stuff seems more in line with our service needs.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Nice job! We did our front cabinets above the drivers area and it worked great. I used multiple layers as the sun really warmed up the area exposed to the windshield behind the cabinet. The fiberglass was insulated by Winnebago, but they did nothing for the windshield in this area.
Thanks Mac..after I see what the difference is I might add another layer. Good suggestion. Yep, fiberglass has insulation but those cabinets sure do get hot with the doors closed. DW wants here cereal cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Great idea! I think double faced carpet tape would secure these panels a bit better. Also, this must brighten up those dark areas allot.

Once, many years ago, I bought a material like that. It was not well made and the finish rubbed off. This stuff seems more in line with our service needs.
We had thought of the alternatives for sticking and then thinking of the heat between the skin and the insulation would cause lesser sticky stuff to sort of melt off. I just happened to have this 25 foot or so roll of industrial Velcro so we used it. Time will tell.

For the inside of the cabinets I cut the insulation about a 1/4" wider. Set it in the bottom and then pushed the top into the crease. It keeps pressure and the insulation in place. besides, DW keeps them packed. I used the Velcro on the ceiling of the cabinet and the big pieces in the closet.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I might try this, I initially had thought about it but discounted the idea after some folks on the Airstream forum said it didn't do much. I made interior front glass covers with Reflectix. This might be a good way to use up some of the 200 Velcro dots I bought
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dots.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	182219  
Old 03-09-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We were just shopping around ACE for insulation for the front cabinets above the windshield. Did not want fiberglass insulation (for obvious reasons) and didn't think about this material. We were talking with another WBAGO Vista owner who went the fiberglass route...NO Thanks...

Never thought of installing this material in the other cabinets. Great idea!!! Let us know how well it works and if 2 layers works or maybe 3?? (LOL Isn't MORE better???)
xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I did this as well but not as neatly. :-) It does make a difference. We use a huge roll for the windshield and it keeps the front so much cooler. The velcro sounds like a good idea so I will use that.
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #8
Boondocker

I did the same thing in the rear closets of our 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K, secured it with two-sided outdoor carpet tape, then taped some backless commercial carpet over everything. The tape doesn't adhere very well to the varnished closet interior, so I had to add a few Staples afterward, especially on the closet ceilings.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It doesn't matter what fashion was used, it just works well. Besides, who other than DW is going to see it unless you point it out to them.

In my case, DW helped so I had to be neat! :-)
Old 03-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure I understand the purpose of the insulation. Is it to help keep hot and cold out or to keep them in? How much this really help or to make that much of a difference.
Thx.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:06 AM   #11
Boondocker

Depends where you are.... if you're winter camping it can get cold in closets on outside walls, even if you have an insulated rig. The moisture inside the rig will condense on the cold closet walls and make a mess in there. The insulation also helps with sound proofing. Closets on outside walls are like speaker boxes - they can amplify noise.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #12
Restoring a 1991 40ft DXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It doesn't matter what fashion was used, it just works well. Besides, who other than DW is going to see it unless you point it out to them.

In my case, DW helped so I had to be neat! :-)
Insulation works both ways.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone found a “not-too-difficult” way to insulate the HARD-TO-ACCESS fiberglass cab-over nosing enclosing the storage/entertainment area on a Class C like on my Itasca Cambria?
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
Boondocker

Self adhesive automotive insulation might be helpful in a tight space like that. It comes on a roll and you just remove the paper backing after you've cut it into the right shape.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I am not sure I understand the purpose of the insulation. Is it to help keep hot and cold out or to keep them in? How much this really help or to make that much of a difference.
Thx.

I live in the Southern Clime so it is to reduce the heat inside the cabinets and the closets. It gets very warm inside those areas with the cabinet or closet doors closed. In our last MH we were on a trip and the temperature outside was in the high 90's. With only two AC's the temperature inside was around 80-85˚. I purchased some of the aluminum bubble foil and cut it to the single pane windows. The temperature inside dropped to 75˚.

Our present MH is double pane windows and three AC's with better wall insulation but there is still heat radiating off the interior walls. The insulation in the enclosed spaces will help keep those areas at a reasonable temperature. DW complained that chocolate tidbits would melt in the cabinet. We'll see on our next trip, but she doesn't mind keeping them in the freezer.

As for keeping the cold in, we don't keep the doors open in the spaces I insulated.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thx Wayne,
I have a WB View which gets hot in the summer like you said. Where do I buy the alum. bubble foil and how do you attached them to the windows?
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:33 AM   #17
Boondocker

A good exhaust fan can help when it's hot and stuffy inside, but not hot enough for A/C or you can't run your AC for some reason.
Heng's 90043-CR Replacement Vortex I Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N1J5IM...XDVC8QYYWRXE9T
Old 03-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #18
2013 Itasca Meridian 36M

We did this last year before going out west. It was unseasonably hot and this really helped to minimize the temperature in the coach.
BDP2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Thx Wayne,
I have a WB View which gets hot in the summer like you said. Where do I buy the alum. bubble foil and how do you attached them to the windows?
You can purchase the Reflectix attic/wall insulation at Lowe's or Home Depot. Camping stores will also have them but may be more expensive. If you are a veteran you can get a 10% discount at Lowe's or Home Depot....well at least around here you can.

My last MH I used the Reflectix in the windows. I cut the material to the exact size of the window then just pushed it in place. If you have shades the top portion will be held in by the shade. If necessary you can use magnets, Velcro, or easy to remove tape (I would not prefer to use tape..to messy) For the windshield, do what the car shade people do. fold it like an accordion and it might stand up by itself. If you have a UV roll down shade you can put the Reflectix against the window and lower the shade.

Might be some more options from others.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Condensation?

Any thoughts about condensation forming between the insulation and cabinet walls?
RHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat