Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Insufficient light to see switches

We have a 2011 Winnebago Journey 40U and I cannot identify the panel of switches at the entry door. At night there is insufficient light so I have to use a flashlight to identify the switches to be sure I am operating the correct switch. The panel consists of 11 switches which operate the battery disconnects, the awning switches, the compartment switch and a few others that I cannot remember off the top of my head. An acquaintance of ours has a 2012 Journey, same model. His switches have back lights which iluminate the switches at night. I was contemplating switching mine out and getting the new switches as in the 2012 model. I contacted Lichtsin RV to get more info about doing this and they tell me the switches for both years are the same part number. Now i am confused. Did Winnebago build my coach with old parts?
Journey4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am not familiar with your parts at all, but maybe yours has backlighting but it's no longer functioning or somehow turned off.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I do not find anywhere to turn backlighting on or off. It is possible they are not working but I would have to take a switch out and see if there is any light source. Are there any other Journey or Meridian owners that have this problem or any owners with a unit that has backlighting
Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Site Team

I don't have the same RV, but I do have the switches by the door and each is backlit.

The movable part of the switch can be popped off and you'll see a small light bulb there in the middle of the actual switch once the cover is removed.

If none of yours is working... then it can't be all the bulbs burned out can it? Any other lights not working? Perhaps there is one resetable fuse for all the small lights like this?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thx for that info. I will check that when I get it out of storage. Hopefully in 1 month. It seems strange that all lights would be out.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Creativepart. If u don't mind me asking, what rig do u have? Also is there a separate switch that turns the backlight on and off. My thinking was that if u were operating your rig on 12 volt u probably would not want the draw from the backlights but maybe it is negligible in the grand scheme of things
Old 04-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey4us View Post
Creativepart. If u don't mind me asking, what rig do u have? Also is there a separate switch that turns the backlight on and off. My thinking was that if u were operating your rig on 12 volt u probably would not want the draw from the backlights but maybe it is negligible in the grand scheme of things
Or along the same line of thinking, maybe it would be better to get some sort of small battery operated LED light. Something like this, but as small as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Brilliant-Evo...6619816&sr=8-4
Old 04-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
It's in my Signature on every post (a good idea for everyone to complete). I have a 2017 Adventurer. It's a Gas Class A and a good many Journey parts are found in my coach. Without a photo of your switches I can't tell if your's are the same as mine.

By the way, I know about the lights IN the switches is because one of the outer covers popped off one day.

And no, there is not a separate switch to power the lights. They seem to be on whenever the power disconnects are turned on.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
And no, there is not a separate switch to power the lights. They seem to be on whenever the power disconnects are turned on.
Which would probably explain why they might all be burned out. Maybe a prior owner never disconnected power or stayed connected to shore power.

As another power saving suggestion, assuming the OP can find and replace the bulbs, only replace the bulbs on the switches they care to operate in the dark.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Tell you the truth, the lights don't really do that much. They kind of back light the writing on the button is all. I do have a small downlight at the stairs and another at the floor in the main hall. Those are on a switch in the main hall. I've never checked to see if that also controls the switch lights. Hummm, I'll have to look at that. I keep the floor lights on all the time so I've never noticed.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Our 14 36m has the switches all backlit. It seems kind of odd to me that they are on 24-7 while using the coach. But, better that than fumbling around in the dark, I guess.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
2016 View 24J Profile

Switch lighting

I have a 2016 View and have been concerned about this same issue. Just today I installed a ribbon LED light above my switch panel that is operated by a small red illuminated switch which is easy to see in the dark.
I used this same LED strip to illuminate the inside of the hanging closet and overhead cabinets.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I also have a 2011 40U journey - and keep a flashlight in the drink holder right above the switches. I am in the process of changing out the existing 12 volt lights with LEDs and am also thinking of motion detecting nightlights to help find the switches, especially after being outside after cocktail hours.
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We have a 2011 Winnebago Journey 40U and I cannot identify the panel of switches at the entry door. At night there is insufficient light so I have to use a flashlight to identify the switches to be sure I am operating the correct switch. The panel consists of 11 switches which operate the battery disconnects, the awning switches, the compartment switch and a few others that I cannot remember off the top of my head. An acquaintance of ours has a 2012 Journey, same model. His switches have back lights which iluminate the switches at night. I was contemplating switching mine out and getting the new switches as in the 2012 model. I contacted Lichtsin RV to get more info about doing this and they tell me the switches for both years are the same part number. Now i am confused. Did Winnebago build my coach with old parts?
There are 2 switches under the cabinet over the dash. One is for the rope light over the cabinet and the other is to lithe the steps. I use this one when I want to see the switches by the door.

If you have used the rope light at all, please note that there is a known problem with the connector found over the passengers seat in the top of the cabinet just under the ceiling. If it shows signs of overheating cut the rope light back to a clear section and carefully insert the connector prongs into the wires.
Happy and healthy trails.
Rick Y
Old 04-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have the switch set up on my 2009 Vectra. I found a short LED string light set (about 10" long) that has a glue strip on the back and 12" leads. I stuck it to the metal door frame and ran the the wires into the existing poor floor light and mounted on the switch panel and wired it into this light which is controlled by the outside porch light. Does a great job of lighting up the switches and inside entry way.
Hoffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Where do you access the power for the LED lights?
Old 04-20-2020, 05:20 AM   #17
Tim

2017 Journey 40J. Check on the bank of switches over your bed ... I think there is a switch to toggle the lighted/not lighted switches on/off. I am sure I could have worded this better.
tkmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #18
US1
Winnebago Camper

Can you remove the switch panel to access the switches back sides? Common practice when a gang of switches are all backlit, there will be a single wire for backlighting that will daisy chain them all. If the wire came loose or such, they all will loose backlighting.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thx for that info. Unit is presently in storage but i will get to it this week and check on removing either an individual switch or the switch plate cover. Temps warming up and snow gone so I can access unit now.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I understand you issue with the 2011 Journey 40U. I had same issue, dark step area and inability to view correct rocker switches at night. No back-lighting, only LED illuminated when some switches are on. Not much help in dark. My solution was to mount a 3 LED downward facing 12 volt LED light above rocker switches. Lite is continually on, added 3 years ago, no issues to date. Also added 2 LED voltage meters at same time. Above new LED lite, one for Chassis, the other for House.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch