Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Installing Norcold recall on Meridian/Journey

I'm driving 90 miles tomorrow to get to an authorized dealer having the Norcold recall gismo installed and was wondering if very many Meridian/Journey owners had to have the frig actually moved out due to the very small outside opening Winnebago installed.
Even though it would take the tech longer by moving the frig I'm sure they will take the easy way out, but surely Norcold only allows a certain amount of labor time regardless of which way they chose to install it. I'd lot rather they weren't inside the coach moving the frig if it isn't absolutely necessary. Either way I probably won't have any choice but just thought I'd ask in case I have any say-so in the matter.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here is a older thread on same subject some have had to have fridge moved out and some it had to be moved in for some space to work on, because of small vent opening, than others have not.

I received a call from Norcold this morning asking if I had the recall done.
Said yes I had first recall done which you now say has to be redone because its no good and we have a newer one with different heat sensor.

I said thats great but I will probably wait for the new third one to show up because the second one has already had a fire because it either didn't work as it should or installers didn't install it correctly.

I will most likely put in AMISH COOLING UNIT because Norcold doesn't know what they are doing and are just ducking the main issue their cooling units are junk and they are just avoiding the problem.

How to install Amish cooling unit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

norcold pays for 1/2 hour labor, which is about how long it takes when the fridge is pulled
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2
I'm driving 90 miles tomorrow to get to an authorized dealer having the Norcold recall gismo installed and was wondering if very many Meridian/Journey owners had to have the frig actually moved out due to the very small outside opening Winnebago installed.
Even though it would take the tech longer by moving the frig I'm sure they will take the easy way out, but surely Norcold only allows a certain amount of labor time regardless of which way they chose to install it. I'd lot rather they weren't inside the coach moving the frig if it isn't absolutely necessary. Either way I probably won't have any choice but just thought I'd ask in case I have any say-so in the matter.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
I've got to bring my brand new, fridge never even used yet, 2010 Meridian V Class 34Y for the Norcold recall in a couple of weeks. The dealer said it will take between 30 min and two hours. Let us know how it goes with yours.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Two hours! Must be over their lunch time.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Nobody answered the question..

The fridge does NOT have to be removed, everything is easily accessible from outside and if it takes more than 1/2 hour, they're in training. MAKE SURE that there is a "Rev.D" on the box as that is the current generation and the earlier ones had some issues with false failures.

Here is a pic of the module installed:

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Same here. Did not have to pull reefer on our 34Y. Took 1/2 hour. Norcold paid for service call, but hear that they stopped.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We had the recall done at a local Ft. Worth dealer. It took about an hour. I'm sure the next one will be quicker. Did I say next one?
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

It took a reputable RV mechanic about 30 minutes to install the 2nd recall. However, all of these recalls are nothing but a CYA for when they are sued for loss of life and property.
tucdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Nobody answered the question..

The fridge does NOT have to be removed, everything is easily accessible from outside and if it takes more than 1/2 hour, they're in training. MAKE SURE that there is a "Rev.D" on the box as that is the current generation and the earlier ones had some issues with false failures.

There is some trimming involved regarding the insulation around the heating unit. Takes a little while to do a neat job. It takes us about 45 min to do the recall on a Winnebago. Norcold pays us 30 min. Better to do a good and neat job for the customer and take the time necessary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

After reading all the threads about the Norcold debacle, I've decided to skip the new recall. As a full timer, it's just too much to worry about the new thermocouple failing, losing a refer full of food, and then having to drive somewhere to get it fixed. I installed an auto-discharge halon extinguisher in the refer bay. If I have a fire, it will take care of it, and the next day I'll be calling Lowe's to order a residential refer. Yes, it's taking a chance, but it's a reasonable alternative and I'm comfortable with it. I keep thinking that this is just another in a never-ending series of Norcold recalls.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #12

If the recall device they install fails, you only need to move two wires to bypass it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
After reading all the threads about the Norcold debacle, I've decided to skip the new recall. As a full timer, it's just too much to worry about the new thermocouple failing, losing a refer full of food, and then having to drive somewhere to get it fixed. I installed an auto-discharge halon extinguisher in the refer bay. If I have a fire, it will take care of it, and the next day I'll be calling Lowe's to order a residential refer. Yes, it's taking a chance, but it's a reasonable alternative and I'm comfortable with it. I keep thinking that this is just another in a never-ending series of Norcold recalls.
dukenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #13

Thumbs down

Quote:
IMHO, that is a dangerous situation you have. Why are you more worried about a newly installed recall part failing than the chance of a fire? After your halon extinguisher puts the fire out (hopefully), you'll still have a refrigerator full of food to loose.

At least it will be all pre-cooked and ready to eat.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I have had this recall done several times it seems. First in November 2010, then in February 2011 the black box was replaced, and two weeks later in March, the whole recall kit replaced once again. It was a 30 minute process each time, work totally on the outside lower hatch, technician said the work was easy to do. In his opinion, the black-box controller was rated at 10-14v, and probably should be rated a little higher as a small voltage spike seems to be taking them out. The first two times, the work was done in the normal course of a warranty repair visit. Third time was an emergency trip since we live aboard. Now it is a real annoyance.

Except for the inconvience of having the work done, the refer itself works extremely well, set on 5, keeping all food frozen, or cool as needed. We did find out that a block of ice, in the refer will keep all food cold though, didn't need the ice chest.
-----------------
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 39n
Journey39n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Really? You're more worried about the remote possibility of a few bux worth of food spoiling IF there is a failure of the module?

And so you're not putting in the protection device and you do have a fire, relying on the Halon extinguisher saving your life and the coach? (check around if you think that's a slam-dunk).

1- You STILL lose your food
2- You WILL have smoke damage
3-Depending on where you mounted the extinguisher and where the fire starts, it may or may not catch the fire without collateral damage (see #2).

I hope your smoke detectors work and you're a light sleeper because you'll get to be #4, not get to go to Lowe's the next day, and Norcold will wash their hands of responsibility because you have now publically stated you knowingly declined the mandatory recall.

And you're declining a free fail-safe device over the concern of maybe losing fridge contents?

You sure?

Sorry for being so flippant, but geeeze...

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Really? You're more worried about the remote possibility of a few bux worth of food spoiling IF there is a failure of the module?

And so you're not putting in the protection device and you do have a fire, relying on the Halon extinguisher saving your life and the coach? (check around if you think that's a slam-dunk).

1- You STILL lose your food
2- You WILL have smoke damage
3-Depending on where you mounted the extinguisher and where the fire starts, it may or may not catch the fire without collateral damage (see #2).

I hope your smoke detectors work and you're a light sleeper because you'll get to be #4, not get to go to Lowe's the next day, and Norcold will wash their hands of responsibility because you have now publically stated you knowingly declined the mandatory recall.

And you're declining a free fail-safe device over the concern of maybe losing fridge contents?

You sure?

Sorry for being so flippant, but geeeze...
I certainly agree. It has also been suggested that this recall is, less than a fix. I also agree with this notion. They are covering their a_ _. They have already proved that they can't fix the problem. They can try to cover their a_ _ or they can go out of business. (that's the real fix).
Dometic has the same problems. I kinda think the type of refridgerator has to go. The fix is a residential type, made for RV's. Other than upgrading the inverter and battery system, it will be cheaper. It might actually be cheaper anway. Our 1200 model is 3700 dollars in the box. Now at lowes you can get a bigger unit for 1000 dollars. I haven't seen an inverter that costs 2700 dollars......yet.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Could someone tell me which part in the pic is the new module? I just got the 2nd recall done and am due to pick up the coach soon(after other work).

I'm in a wheelchair and can't check myself, will have to relay info to my wife if I can't get info from the dealer. Want to make sure I got Rev D.

Thanks.

Quote:

Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #18

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Creek View Post
Dometic has the same problems. I kinda think the type of refridgerator has to go. ...
I've owned travel trailers and RV's for 35 years; all have had that type of refrigerator in them. None have had an issue. I don't believe there is some doomsday inherent problem in this type of unit. Devices have issues and recalls all the time. Get the recall done. Move on.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

You can not see the major part of the recall the thermal couple heat unit attached to the boiler from that picture. The only part of the recall seen in the picture would be the same black box attached to the cooling unit coils with the red, green and blue curled wires. That part will dis-connect the 12vdc power to the PC board, shuting down the unit. Hope it's before a fire.
dforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Yeah, there is nothing to see after it's installed other than matching aluminum tape around the chimney and a wire coming out.

Jeff - WA6EQU