Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
jdo
Winnebago Camper

Smile Installing LCD TVs in Winne 36' Journey DL

I replaced both tvs in my DL by myself. Took a lot of trial and error but they are in and look great. No more converter boxes! Sure changes the look of the unit.
jdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you have any pics? Did you modify the steel frame? I may try to do this myself this Spring.
Thanks
Ron
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What brand, size and model did u use?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I am in the process of installing a 32 inch LCD in the front of my 2006 Journey. I have found that I can still use the existing frame by spliting it in the middle and adding an inch and five eights to make it wider. Also cutting some of the metal cage for depth. I will post some pictures hopefully when I finish tomorrow. Below is the Samsung TV that I found would fit with maybe a hair to spare between the cabinet doors on each side.

32" LCD HDTV LN32B640 32" 1080p LCD HDTV - LCD TV - Televisions | SAMSUNG

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad you guys are tackling this project... it's on my to-do list for this spring. A question for you Sammie - I see the TV you have in mind is 1080p resolution. I've looked at TVs in the stores and personally can't see any difference between 720p and 1080p in a 32" TV. Just wondering if you can see enough difference to justify the extra cost.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
jdo
Winnebago Camper

Installing tv's in 02 Journey

The first thing I did was have a cabinet maker look at the unit and give me his opinion. He said because of the steel frame behind the wood it would be hard to change the basic design. He suggested we find a tv that would fit with little modification in the wood. After trying several different tv we settled on a 26" LG. You will have 25.75" opening in the metal frame but if you mount the tv as close to the wood frame as possible you gain about 3/4". This allowed the 26" tv to fill the void and look like it belongs there. I then frabricated a metal bracket to attach to the back of the tv and bolt to the metal frame on both sides. This was really difficult. It took me almost a entire day of trial and error to get the holes where I needed. Once it was in place I installed the wood frame and had a piece of smoke plastic cut to hide the 5 inches below the tv. After I had the plastic cut and fitted with velcro I discovered the satellite receiver would fit there and look good. One problem I ended up with was the manual controls for the tv are on the side of the unit. When installed there is no access to them so make sure you don't loose your remote. I purchased a second one jic.

The back was a lot easier. I just removed the wood housing had it cut down to 5" and bolted a 20" Viso to the frame and reinstalled the housing.

I can post some pictures when I get out to the farm where I keep the unit but right now its 5 degrees here. If anyone needs more detail info please email me.

Doug
[email protected]
jdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

RVJeeper, I really didn't care if it was 1080p or 720p. All I was looking at was a TV that would fit. Also this model Samsung had control buttons on the front instead of the side. It also had a 1/2 inch lip on the outer edge which has allowed me to recess the TV flush into my existing frame with the modifications I made. Things didn't go as expected today ( do they ever ) so my installation is not complete. I had to rethink my TV mounting bracket. Hopefully tomorrow will go better. I will post some pictures when I complete the project.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote