Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Installing 32" LCD and new Trav'ler in 07 Journey

As an RV shop owner, we have installed maybe a dozen LCD TV's in motorhomes in the last year or so. I have been religiously watching this forum for any and all ideas on how to install flat screen TV's in motorhomes, removing those 55 lb bricks over the dash board. I'm always looking for better ways to do the installs, and have received many good ideas from this forum.

As many of you know, mounting a 32" LCD TV up front is a challenge, depending on the existing TV setup, how much rework you are willing to do in the existing cabinetry, etc. I have researched LCD TV sizes to find the narrowest one which will fit in my Journey overhead setup.

I am finally 'biting the bullet' on my own coach with a new 32" LCD TV install along with a new Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 satellite setup.

I will try to document the install of both units over the next several days for eveyone's informational benefit.

Satellite: I have the Winegard AS-2003 automatic satellite single LNB dish on my coach from the factory. As many of you have already experienced, the dish does not seem to find the satellite these days. There are multiple issues with this satellite dish, and Winegard has discontinued support for this model.

I chose to buy a Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 (DirecTV HD capable) to replace the AS-2003.

TV: I purchased a Samsung LN-32C540 720p LCD TV, as it is the narrowest flat screen TV I can find, having a width of 30.8". One nice feature of the Samsung TV's is all the controls are front panel mounted. Many of the other manufacturers have the controls either top or side mounted, which may become a problem accessing these controls when mounting the TV in the upper cabinet.

In my Journey, I have 31.5" width on the existing TV cabinet. It will be mounted just outside the current wood trim, only requiring minor modification of the existing cabinetry, extending about 1" from the current cabinetry. It will require a small filler strip at the top or bottom of the existing space to fill in the existing TV space.

The satellite installation starts tomorrow. I will take pictures of the complete process and post here for everyone's benefit.

TV install to occur later in the week.

More posts to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks, Pusherman. I have a 2004 Journey and want to do the same exchange. I, too, have settled on the Winegard 3005 satellite system, but am still uncertain about the TV. The 32" seems to be the best fit for our coaches but picking the brand name is where I have hesitated. I will watch your progress carefully. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have looked for a narrow 32" LCD too. Hadn't looked at this Samsung. $348 at Sams Club, not a bad price. And front controls. Gotta go look closer at our Adventurer...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Great! Can't wait as I am ready to do this first thing on my new to me LaPalma
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I too would like to replace with LCD. Looking forward to seeing your updates.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #6

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You're gonna wonder why you waited sooooo long..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2000 Adventurer and I pulled out the old TV (which had been replaced with one that has a built in Tape and DVD slots) and the 20 or so pound steel mounting rack. My guess is somewhere near 50lbs total.

We purchased a Westinghouse 32" LED unit that weighs a slight 14 pounds, and uses less power than a 60 watt light blub.

After buying a standard wall mount and then installing it, I didn't like the set-up because it would have to have additional support while on the road. This is my solution: Using 2 pieces of channel with stand-offs, I set up 4 turn buckles and eye bolts. There is no other supports, no wood working (except what is required to cover the opening on the bottom.

Will try again to upload photos, never tried this before, so not sure how it is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05669.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	8322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05670.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	8323  

Name:	DSC05671.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	8324   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05672.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	8325  

Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

2 years ago I replaced my bedroom tv in my 5er with a 36 inch Samsung LCD flat screen with a 1080p upscaling DVD player. That TV I just cut another pice of plywood !/2 inch thick below the existing shelf and screwed the TV down through its base to the cabinet. It works but it looks kind of crude. This Christmas I treated myself to a 46' Samsung LED for the living room. Wow, what a nice tv and only 3/4 of an inch deep. Mounting was more difficult. I ended up cutting 2 3/4 inch pieces of plywood to fit the bottom of the existing cabinet. I glued and screwed them down for a sturdy bottom. Then, I constructed a 2x4 frame and covered the front with ply and glued and screwed it all together. Then, I bought a wall mount unit from Amazon and finally mounted the screen. I bought some dark cherry cabint grade 1/8 plywood and covered what was visible behind the TV with that so it look nice. I do not believe I saved any weight at all but having a 1080 picture with a bluray disk was worth it. At the same time I wired up true surround sound speakers ran all the wires in loom and pulled them hidden in cabinets and behind walls, mounted the speakers on the ceiling and a home theater surround sound processor with a powered sub. I put the center speaker inside the 2x4 frame with speaker fabrick covering the hole behind the TV. I now can blow the windows out of the trailer if I'm not careful and another unexpected benifit is the quality of my CD when played. I do like sitting in my luxuery 5er with all the convienences of home!
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

I replaced both TV's front and back bedroom. I used a 32 in Sylvania Flat screen HD 720 DPI in the front. I used angle iron and 3/4 in oak plywood as a mounting back. Bought a TV bracket mount for a 32in TV and it worked out fine. With the holes all ready in the angle iron you can move the plywood up and down to suit your fit. It is a very strong setup. Best part, I can remove my TV in 20 seconds and pop it back on. 5,000 miles later solid as a rock.

If you buy a TV that is just a hair wider than your opening, you won't have to cut anything. I have about a half inch space on the bottom that I just stuff a black piece of cloth in and you can't even see it. The TV will mount almost flush up against the oak molding, but your measurements have to be precise. Make sure you controls and speakers are on the front, and the TV has a variable audio output if you want your surround sound to work.

I used existing cabinet in bedroom, and used oak molding to fill in space at bottom. Used the angle iron and plywood method here also. The bedroom TV was more work than the front!!

Good Luck...
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Got the satellite dish installed today and well under way for the TV install. Here are some pics of the satellite install. I'm removing a Winegard AS-2003 automatic satellite dish which no longer finds the satellites and is no longer supported by Winegard. Am replacing it with a Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 DirecTV HD satellite.

First photo is removing old satellite dish. Removed fasteners, and scraped off all old caulk around surface. Unit was also held down with silicone caulk, which we had to pry up and clean off. Cleaned total roof for new install.

Second photo is tracing outline of new dish, fasteners installed, with wiring run. Note new entrance point for 2 coax and control cable wires (pics out of order here).

Third photo is laying down bed of silicone caulk for new dish before the new sat was installed (sorry, pics out of order here). Note patch in photo which was where old control and coax wires entered coach for old dish. Covered patch with a rubber material, caulked all edges with silicone. Footprint of new dish covered the entire old dish holes and marks. All were caulked with silicone before covering with new dish.

Fourth photo is new dish with self leveling caulk around all the edges, seams, and old holes from old dish install.

Ran wires inside and installed controller. 2 coax wires to front for sat receivers. 1 control wire. You can run a total of 4 coax wires, but I chose to run only 2.

TV install is well underway. Will post photos of the TV install tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Removing old Sat Dish Web.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	8326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard SK-3005 outline install.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	8327  

Name:	New Sat Dish Caulk Bed Web.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	8328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Caulk Satellite Dish Web.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	8329  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Don: I also layed down a landing pad for the antenna to spread the weight and keep skid marks off the fiberglass. There's a significant down-force when that antenna is nested, so it's now spread around. Winegard also sells one, but this is larger and stainless rather than a painted plate.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hi My husband installed one this weekend. We only had a small spot for our front TV. Well being older and sight is a problem. We installed a 32". Bob put a piece of oak in the old TV box that went from side to side. We bought a thin TV. Then we bought a mount that will slide from side to side. It's about an inch over the cupboards on either side. We can easily slide it over to get it into the cuboards. He has it very close to flush mounted and looks nice. Plus I can watch it from the kitchen without a problem. the 19" would have been to hard to see. Just love getting older! He also bought a strap from walmart to put over it for travel.
rebel4963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

When selecting the new TV try to find one with controlable audio output jacks. Our '05 Journey's PO did not, so the volume is not controlable through the stock surround sound system causing us to rely on the TV speakers.
Barbara B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Got the new Samsung LN-32C540 installed today. Features I like about this LCD TV is it's only 30.8" wide and has front screen controls.

First pic is of the original TV:

Second is of old 55 lb brick tube TV removed, wires dressed, and new mount installed. Note I did not use a traditional LCD TV mount, but used angle iron aligned to pick up bolt mounts on back of TV.

Third pic is of the new TV installed (didn't remove plastic film around edge yet).

All connections are made, but I need to back coach out of shop to test all connections. Tomorrow's job (cold tonight) to move coach outside to receive both off-the-air signals and test new satellite dish.

I will post tomorrow on connectivity issues and how it functions.

Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Orig TV Web.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	8343   Click image for larger version

Name:	New TV Mount Web.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	8344  

Name:	Finished TV Install Web.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	8345  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Don: I also layed down a landing pad for the antenna to spread the weight and keep skid marks off the fiberglass. There's a significant down-force when that antenna is nested, so it's now spread around. Winegard also sells one, but this is larger and stainless rather than a painted plate.
Jeff, thanks for the heads-up. I will be watching for scuff marks on the fiberglass roof, and if I see any, a skid plate will go up.

We ABSOLUTELY install one of these skid plates on RV's with rubber roofs. Winegard actually makes a rubber roof install kit, which we use on rubber roofs, and includes the skid plate for the satellite arm when it stows.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I installed this one the 1st time I watched it stow and I could see it depressing the fiberglass. I'm sure it's pressured on the roof to keep it from lifting at freeway speeds.. But still.

PS- That roof is WAY too shiny

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Don,

With those angle iron mounts to hold the TV, how did you reach behind to install the four bolts into the TV? Also, how did you deal with the feed to the 'surround sound?' I don't believe I remember that Samsung having variable audio outputs.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Tested the system out today. Everything works! Both Sat and OTA signals. I have to say that the OTA signal picture quality is stunning!

First pic is TV with OTA signal. Note in upper left hand compartment is blue LED. This is new Winegard Trav'ler control box. 1 button operation.

Second pic is Trav'ler 'stowing'. (Ignore that white stuff in the background. No snow in NY here...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV Install Complete Web.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	8357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat Dish Stowing Web.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	8358  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Don,

With those angle iron mounts to hold the TV, how did you reach behind to install the four bolts into the TV? Also, how did you deal with the feed to the 'surround sound?' I don't believe I remember that Samsung having variable audio outputs.

Gary's making me tell all my secrets... In this installation we used angle iron aligned with the mounting holes for the TV bolt pattern in the rear. No flat screen TV mount. Challenge is to mount the TV and have access to the rear to make the mechanical and electrical connections.

We removed the molded plastic pod from the wood bezel. The plastic pod is held up under the dash with screws under little plastic screw covers, and also screwed into the wood bezel at the bottom of the wood bezel. Did not replace the screws between the plastic pod and wood bezel. Instead reinstalled with velcrow against the bottom of the wood bezel.

This allowed us to install the wood bezel, install the TV with access to the mounting system we built through the rear (windshield) side. Made all electrical connections. There are enough accesss areas in original steel TV cage to make connections and mount. Reinstall plastic pod with screws under dash, and used velcrow to attach front of pod to TV bezel.

This way, it can come down the same way, as I am sure I will be getting into it again for future improvements, such as improved surround sound system and possibly HD satellite some day.

Surround sound: The new TV does not have variable audio output. I did still connect it to the OEM home theater system, and it does work. You can not control volume with the TV remote (no surprise here, as many of you have already discovered this) but you can use the OEM surround sound system remote volume control with the OEM home theater (DVD player) to change volume level.

Real solution is to replace the OEM DVD sytem with a new home theater system w/DVD from the same manufacturer, connect the 2 via optical audio, and 1 remote will control both. Next year's project.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]