Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I Just had Camping World replace my 25" Sony with a 32" 1080p 120hz HD LED-LCD TV (Isignia) they did a great job for about $400 ( I bought the TV) It fit in the original cabintry just fine. no muss no fuss!

Gave that good but not HD old Sony away to a friend of mine.
Wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Did anyone remove or modify the metal cage on the Winnebagos? To keep it from hanging down so far?????
MAW8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I did not. Modifying the metal cage becomes a big job, which I chose to avoid. Just used a 1.5" filler strip to fill the bottom void (mounted the TV all the way to the top).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

In my case I would have gained nothing by changing the cage since the TV essentually takes the entire space anyway. I also left in the upper bar, just tightened it good, to reduce flexing.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
As an RV shop owner, we have installed maybe a dozen LCD TV's in motorhomes in the last year or so. I have been religiously watching this forum for any and all ideas on how to install flat screen TV's in motorhomes, removing those 55 lb bricks over the dash board. I'm always looking for better ways to do the installs, and have received many good ideas from this forum.

As many of you know, mounting a 32" LCD TV up front is a challenge, depending on the existing TV setup, how much rework you are willing to do in the existing cabinetry, etc. I have researched LCD TV sizes to find the narrowest one which will fit in my Journey overhead setup.

I am finally 'biting the bullet' on my own coach with a new 32" LCD TV install along with a new Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 satellite setup.

I will try to document the install of both units over the next several days for eveyone's informational benefit.

Satellite: I have the Winegard AS-2003 automatic satellite single LNB dish on my coach from the factory. As many of you have already experienced, the dish does not seem to find the satellite these days. There are multiple issues with this satellite dish, and Winegard has discontinued support for this model.

I chose to buy a Winegard Trav'ler SK-3005 (DirecTV HD capable) to replace the AS-2003.

TV: I purchased a Samsung LN-32C540 720p LCD TV, as it is the narrowest flat screen TV I can find, having a width of 30.8". One nice feature of the Samsung TV's is all the controls are front panel mounted. Many of the other manufacturers have the controls either top or side mounted, which may become a problem accessing these controls when mounting the TV in the upper cabinet.

In my Journey, I have 31.5" width on the existing TV cabinet. It will be mounted just outside the current wood trim, only requiring minor modification of the existing cabinetry, extending about 1" from the current cabinetry. It will require a small filler strip at the top or bottom of the existing space to fill in the existing TV space.

The satellite installation starts tomorrow. I will take pictures of the complete process and post here for everyone's benefit.

TV install to occur later in the week.

More posts to come.
Did you get the 3005 out of their Loopstock inventory or did you have to pay full retail? Oops, I just realized that you are a dealer so you obviously didn't pay full retail. Sure hope you didn't have to pay (one way or another) over $950!
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Winegard sold me loop stock, as I was replacing a defective AS-2003. Good price, but the shipping sure did hurt (and by the way, my dealer price would have been significantly more).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I did away with the mask and the metal cage both. In it's place I installed a 32in Westinghouse LED that fit snug to the sides of the cabinets and allowed the units flange to cover the edges. One of these days I'm going to weigh those things and see just how much weight I saved. Has to be 30lbs or more. (counting the weight savings on the TV also)
We have a 2000 Win Adventurer 37G.
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Winegard sold me loop stock, as I was replacing a defective AS-2003. Good price, but the shipping sure did hurt (and by the way, my dealer price would have been significantly more).
Hmmm, I'm not sure but I think I didn't have a shipping charge. But I've slept since then so I'm probably mistaken. Either way, it sure beats the heck out of paying retail for a great system.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure but I think I didn't have a shipping charge. But I've slept since then so I'm probably mistaken. Either way, it sure beats the heck out of paying retail for a great system.
Yeah you did... It was about $75 to the west coast for me

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

OK, got the old massive Sony TV out and bought a 32 inch Visio Led HD 1080p. Actually only one we could find that still had RCA audio out jacks to hook into the Suncruiser system. Front facing speakers and will fill the huge cage with about 1/4 inch space on top and bottom. Will post pics after installing the mount.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Visio is one of the few brands which have analog audio out, which means you should be able to hook up your OEM surround sound system with no modifications. I'm not sure about your model Visio (LED), but I have the LCD model in the stick house bedroom and it does have variable audio out.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

does anyone have any pics or suggestions on replacing the rear TV in the Journey 36.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Anyone who has done the change and had to do woodworking, what stain did you use to match the wood on a Winnebago. I'm having a problem finding the right stain to match and need to close up the bottom and top of my cabinet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

If you want photos, send me your Email address and I will send PDF file of 32" TV installation in 05 Winnebago. Send to [email protected] Have sent this to about 100 already
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Like you'all, I am planning for a swap out sometime in the near future. I have just installed an SK-1000 for dish network. It is a hoot to watch. It reminds me of a radar controlled anti aircraft gun when it starts up and gets put away. I also love to plan things out and two things that I may be able to add to this thread is First; the LED TV set is the most narrow that is available to purchase. Obviously, this comes at a premium. Also, I have a Bose surround sound system that only accepts analog input (left-right channel). I found that there are converters available for around $50 that will take digital audio and convert it to analog.

My hat is off to all of you that have successfully accomplished this conversion successfully.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. I am just in the midst of replacing both TVs. I am removing the drop cage and plastic bottom surround. I'm going a little larger and am putting a 37" LG on the face. I'm going to use Oak to finish the backing and bottom and stain and finish it to match existing cabinetry. The TV will slightly overlap the doors on either side by about 1.5" so I may have them remade. The type of mount I picked allows the TV to slide about 3" either way so that may be all I need to do. I'm looking into some hardware where I can mount the centre surround speaker on the new Oak bottom panel that will allow the speaker to retract up into the void behind the TV when not in use. I know the TV is a bit large, but I'm used to a 52" at home and as this will be my home away from home.... It probably would have been cheaper to buy some glasses LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Looks like a great installation job. But, instead of using angle iron pieces, I used the $19.95 Flat Screen mounting bracket system found in IKEA stores (or ikea.com). The bracket has hanging spool-type attachments that screw into the mounting holes of the TV back and just hangs in sliding slots brackets on the IKEA main cross bracket. I used only the top two screw holes of the TV to mount two "spools". I bolted the IKEA main cross bracket to the old CRT hold down bar without removing the bar and simply hung the TV in sliding slots on the bracket with the spools. Ok, that is only a two point suspension. I then disassembled the Flat Screen TV foot stand. I mounted the metal stand-portion bracket in its normal space on the bottom of the TV and discarded the plastic base. Since this bracket was a right angled piece, I then screwed a black-painted piece of 2X4 to the bottom of that bracket (lucked out that the thickness of the 2X4 was just what I needed). With the bottom RV-TV house cover removed I then screwed the 2X4 to the bottom of the metal TV box of the RV with three wood screws. The re-attached the house conceals the screws (I also used "hook and loop" to attach the house to the back of the front wood surround). The painted 2X4 also serves as the bottom filler piece. Before screwing the 2X4 down, I could easily attach all necessary cables to the mounted TV since the spools/slot system on IKEA bracket have enough play that the TV can be swing out about 3-4 inches at the bottom. Attaching the 2X4 to the metal box provides just enough tension on the TV to make the whole mounting rigid, leaving the TV essentially hard mounted to the old CRT metal box. NO, NO, I didn't take any pictures. The Flat Screen TV I mounted was one of the last Toshiba 32" LCD's Camping World had in stock last fall. Fortunately for me the TV had variable audio out RCA female connections , so I can still control the surround sound system in my coach with the TV remote. Check with CW to see if they still carry the RCA LCD 32" TV which also has the variable audio out RCA connections. To remove the TV, I simply reverse the mounting order: first remove the house, then the three wood screws. Leaning the TV bottom forward, I can remove all the connections, and then lift up the TV to remove it. This mounting system rides very well, with no apparent movement (or squeaks) in the TV, even on Oklahoma highways.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncircles View Post
Looks like a great installation job. But, instead of using angle iron pieces, I used the $19.95 Flat Screen mounting bracket system found in IKEA stores (or ikea.com). The bracket has hanging spool-type attachments that screw into the mounting holes of the TV back and just hangs in sliding slots brackets on the IKEA main cross bracket. I used only the top two screw holes of the TV to mount two "spools". I bolted the IKEA main cross bracket to the old CRT hold down bar without removing the bar and simply hung the TV in sliding slots on the bracket with the spools. Ok, that is only a two point suspension. I then disassembled the Flat Screen TV foot stand. I mounted the metal stand-portion bracket in its normal space on the bottom of the TV and discarded the plastic base. Since this bracket was a right angled piece, I then screwed a black-painted piece of 2X4 to the bottom of that bracket (lucked out that the thickness of the 2X4 was just what I needed). With the bottom RV-TV house cover removed I then screwed the 2X4 to the bottom of the metal TV box of the RV with three wood screws. The re-attached the house conceals the screws (I also used "hook and loop" to attach the house to the back of the front wood surround). The painted 2X4 also serves as the bottom filler piece. Before screwing the 2X4 down, I could easily attach all necessary cables to the mounted TV since the spools/slot system on IKEA bracket have enough play that the TV can be swing out about 3-4 inches at the bottom. Attaching the 2X4 to the metal box provides just enough tension on the TV to make the whole mounting rigid, leaving the TV essentially hard mounted to the old CRT metal box. NO, NO, I didn't take any pictures. The Flat Screen TV I mounted was one of the last Toshiba 32" LCD's Camping World had in stock last fall. Fortunately for me the TV had variable audio out RCA female connections , so I can still control the surround sound system in my coach with the TV remote. Check with CW to see if they still carry the RCA LCD 32" TV which also has the variable audio out RCA connections. To remove the TV, I simply reverse the mounting order: first remove the house, then the three wood screws. Leaning the TV bottom forward, I can remove all the connections, and then lift up the TV to remove it. This mounting system rides very well, with no apparent movement (or squeaks) in the TV, even on Oklahoma highways.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad
Thanks, I have pictures but apparently too large a file for here. I can email them.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Smile Front TV replacement in 2007 Suncruiser 35A

Here are four pictures after removal of old CRT 26 inch Sony TV. Shown is the use of 1 inch angle iron to mount a 10 inch board in the old cage. The TV mount was attached--all using drilled holes and bolts. The new TV is a 32 inch Visio LED HDTV. It does have RCA jacks that go to the original coach speaker system--one of few TVs that do this. Screen wire was used to fill in a 1 inch space to allow us to use the original wood frame with no alterations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	8661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Angle iron, board, mount.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	8662  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front TV2.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	8663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside MH.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	8664  

Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAW8750 View Post
Here are four pictures after removal of old CRT 26 inch Sony TV. Shown is the use of 1 inch angle iron to mount a 10 inch board in the old cage. The TV mount was attached--all using drilled holes and bolts. The new TV is a 32 inch Visio LED HDTV. It does have RCA jacks that go to the original coach speaker system--one of few TVs that do this. Screen wire was used to fill in a 1 inch space to allow us to use the original wood frame with no alterations.
Very clean install. DO you have any more pics of the bracket/board assembly, and how it and the tv was installed?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote