Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Install door in rear wall of Suncruiser

This will probably sound nuts and drive the structural engineers crazy but:

We have a 04' 33U Itasca Suncruiser we just love. We are wondering if we can install a rear door for safety and to make the bedroom more open. A Large window where the mirror is currently on the back wall would also be great. I don't consider the "escape" window to be too pratical as most large people would not get through it. We are tall people and older so the thought of launching through that window in a practice session is not something I'm looking forward to.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Our coach had a rear window option, we did not choose it when we ordered because it was single-pane. After receiving it, I know why it was single pane, the rear cap is curved, and there would be no way to put in a non-curved double-pane window (I don't believe double-pane windows are available with curved glass).

If your rear cap is flat, it should be possible to put in a door or window. The structural issue can be solved much like you would in a house with a good frame and header, you will probably want use aluminum as that is what your coach's wall structure is (as far as I can tell from the brochure on the Winnie website).

And I 100% agree with your statement about the "Escape Windows" We have a small exit window in the BR, we have actually practiced getting out of it, even with a picnic table below the window, it was difficult.

Good luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that quick reply, it is nice to know they had a window option. I am going to start looking further into this as I am very interested in solution. We went to stay with my wife's brother and sister-in-law and they had an RV with a rear door. We felt so much safer sleeping in it, not that it is a huge concern but you never know. We are full-timers so that makes it an issue. On the subject of the escape window...I wonder if this has already been adddressed in the forums, hence Winnebago may not think it is important enough to address. Will be interesting to hear from others on this.

Thanks again.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a 04 33V and I had never considered doing this. I do know that I would be hard pressed to use the escape window under over the makeup table. If you wanted to use it on a regular basis, you would need some sort of step also. We have never felt closed in and have take several 3 month trips, but don't full time. Good Luck and please report what you end up doing.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Our coach had a rear window option, we did not choose it when we ordered because it was single-pane. After receiving it, I know why it was single pane, the rear cap is curved, and there would be no way to put in a non-curved double-pane window (I don't believe double-pane windows are available with curved glass).

If your rear cap is flat, it should be possible to put in a door or window. The structural issue can be solved much like you would in a house with a good frame and header, you will probably want use aluminum as that is what your coach's wall structure is (as far as I can tell from the brochure on the Winnie website).

And I 100% agree with your statement about the "Escape Windows" We have a small exit window in the BR, we have actually practiced getting out of it, even with a picnic table below the window, it was difficult.

Good luck!
Stewart
we use a blanket and sheets from the bed to aid escape through the window. jamb one end of blanket in the drawers and laundry bin and throw the rest through the window. then climb or slide feet first through the escape window while holding on to the blanket. this is not a fun operation but can be done safely if it is planned for.
special rope ladders are available.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you are really concerned, Winnie does custom work like that you are suggesting. I have no idea the cost but you would have a safe modification. I assume you have thought about how to get steps and etc. in the location.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When Winnebago builds the walls, roof, and I assume the rear cap, they use a NC router to cut slots in the foam core for wiring. You would need some way to avoid any wires.