Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Inside leak under awning area

During heavy rain we experienced an inside water leak in the crack of the ceiling above the kitchen that is located under the awning. It appears to be coming from the gutter area but we don't see any cracks in the sealant. Anyone experienced a leak there and found out why and how the water leaked into the ceiling?
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Winnebago's have single piece fiberglass roofs, and there is a seam that is stuffed into the gutter channel as you know. If it's in good condition, I'd check the front and rear end caps seams. If water is getting in that way, it can travel quite far before staining the ceiling. Note that a puncture or crack in the fiberglass might be in play as well. And of course, nearby items that needed holes in the roof could be suspects so check the caulking around them.

Here's how it's made...Journey's have the extra foam insulation installed, lower end models it's not:

I used Eternabond tape for both my end caps.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Winnebago's have single piece fiberglass roofs, and there is a seam that is stuffed into the gutter channel as you know. If it's in good condition, I'd check the front and rear end caps seams. If water is getting in that way, it can travel quite far before staining the ceiling. Note that a puncture or crack in the fiberglass might be in play as well. And of course, nearby items that needed holes in the roof could be suspects so check the caulking around them.

Here's how it's made...Journey's have the extra foam insulation installed, lower end models it's not:

I used Eternabond tape for both my end caps.

I'm pretty sure both of our end caps have Eternabond but will definitely check it out. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

HA! Just had a brainstorm. The kitchen...is the leak in the same area/side that the refer is? If so, then carefully check all around the refer vent. I bet that's where the water is coming from. A leak in the refer vent's caulking, water gets inside the channel I posted a picture of above, maybe following the slope of the RV (many people slope their RVs down at the front) and comes out at the seam in the kitchen?

Could that be where?

Old 08-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
HA! Just had a brainstorm. The kitchen...is the leak in the same area/side that the refer is? If so, then carefully check all around the refer vent. I bet that's where the water is coming from. A leak in the refer vent's caulking, water gets inside the channel I posted a picture of above, maybe following the slope of the RV (many people slope their RVs down at the front) and comes out at the seam in the kitchen?

Could that be where?
Our fridge is on the opposite side. We did however find out the shower skylight, which was replaced by the dealer last November, seems to be loose so going to inspect it closer and seal it better. It's on the same side as our kitchen leak so that may be our culprit.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

DOH! Hey, you ruined my brainstorm. Well, perhaps you've narrowed it down. Sounds like that could be it. Water travels quite a distance when it's got channels to flow through.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem with my 29 VE Vista..it only leaked during really heavy torrential style rain. above the passenger side window...just a relatively small drip type leak...very annoying...I caulked in all the normal places but still had the same problem..eventually I sealed the Underside of the rain channel where the awning starts and up to the front cap...which makes no sense to me but...no more leakage..I am wondering if there is some kind of capillary action going on allowing rainwater to get between the roof lip and the siding joint behind the rain gutter/channel
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, leak