Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

There are many things we like about the Tour RV, but I have two questions:
1) Does the Tour RV use travel bars? I have not spoken to a salesman as yet but someone else indicated they did, but you really didn't need to use them!
2) Any feedback on the AC under the RV instead of on the roof?
Thanks
Galena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

There are many things we like about the Tour RV, but I have two questions:
1) Does the Tour RV use travel bars? I have not spoken to a salesman as yet but someone else indicated they did, but you really didn't need to use them!
2) Any feedback on the AC under the RV instead of on the roof?
Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't have any specific knowledge of the Winnie Tour...

...but I do have the basement air and so far have been very satisfied with its performance.

There are a couple of other frequent posters who have had to have their basement units replaced and it sounds like an involved and costly operation (if outside warranty). But I suspect there are many out there who have had to have work/replacement on their rooftop AC.

BTW, what are "travel bars?"

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Galena--

We have a 2006 Tour with the KD floorplan...we have not had any problems with our basement air during the first six months and I am not sure what "travel bars" are.

We have been very pleased with our Winnie...the usual glitches have had to be fixed but only a couple of small items are left and we'll be up to 100% with the unit. We full time, too, so it gets constant use.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We are very happy with our basement air so far. Haven't had an opportunity to put it to a real test yet in HOT weather. It is certainly quieter than our last coach with 2 roof AC's!

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't know what you mean by "travel bars". Can you explain what you are referring to? Are they those little bottles of booze you find in hotel mini-fridges?

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Travel bars are inserted in the side outs when traveling to ensure the side outs don't come out while on the road. Some RVs use automatic and others have some kind of manual "locks" that the driver has to put in place.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Darn - I thought you were talking about a cooler near the front of the coach

We are one of the previously mentioned where we have had our basement AC unit replaced this summer due to a very sporadic problem that defied analysis and troubleshooting.

I like some aspects of the basement air. Not having condensation run off the roof is a huge benefit. Another benefit is having all of that weight down low and not cluttering the roof - more room for solar panels, Internet dishes, etc.

Servicing the unit for some common problems (the electronics, start capacitors, etc.) is probably easier than roof airs since the parts are fairly accessible. A plumbing or compressor problem will require dropping the unit which is about an hour (or less) job for an experienced tech.

A disadvantage of having the condenser coils near the ground is it will suck up dust and grass clippings, etc., this can be a bit of a problem if you are driving on dusty roads.

When we were coach shopping, the basement air wasn't a deal maker or deal breaker.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We've 'visited' the local dealer for a slide adjustment...and while we were waiting, took a look at the '08 Tour. Redesigned...no more "Store-more" basements. The slide outs are just the (upper) room now. The basement area was HUGE -- with enough room to have several people in there! Well, it seemed that way! The basement doors open to the side instead of flipping up. It had 2 furnaces. And a washer/dryer. Man...did I like that floor plan too! Think it was the 40TD. It's definitely a coach for full-timers.

Our 'new' coach has no where near that much storage space -- darn the luck.

Rose
Old 11-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #10

The '08 Tour utilizes the new Maxum Chassis offered by Freightliner, and is raised rail, so there is no more "store more" storage, and is a full pass through basement storage now.

There is no slideout bars in any Winnebago motorhomes.

The basement air?.....eh...not a deal breaker. Some like it, some hate it.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Like others have said the basement air would not be a deal breaker but we really do like having it. This is our second Winne with basement for a total of 7 years. The last 3 years have been fulltime and we have had no major problems. Just had to replace the T/stat inside which is special(equates to expensive)

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

OK, now I get it. "Travel Bars" have got nothing to do with refreshments on the road.

Anyway, my RV came with a strap designed to be attached between the slideout and the floor while in motion. My "walk thru" tech told me never to use them because if you forget to remove them before deploying the slides, better have a blank check at the ready.

Seriously, has anyone ever had a slideout deploy on the road? I don't recall any such posts here.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wehad a lever deal to hold it place. When it was new, the wife was going to show it to someone, and pulled the entire board which was trim off.

She hated to tell me. I screwed it back on.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:
--snip--
Seriously, has anyone ever had a slideout deploy on the road? I don't recall any such posts here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A few years ago, Winnebago had some problems with slide creep. Every now and then I hear about a problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seriously, has anyone ever had a slideout deploy on the road? I don't recall any such posts here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our living room slide occasionally will creep out slightly. It doesn't happen often. I can usually tell because you can hear it after it is retracted. If I don't hear any creaking, then good to go. If I do hear it, usually holding the retract switch will solve the problem.

I did have a bad solenoid back in 2005. After we left the GNR we were heading toward MO on some winding, hilly roads when the LR slide came out about 6 inches. Noticed it in my mirror. I stopped, extended then retracted it, but it would still come out. I used the room winch to keep it in until I got the solenoid replaced.

Because of the safety features built-in, you can't just hit the retract button as your heading down the road.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

We have the Ellipse... Itasca's sister ship to the Tour and have been very happy with it since we took delivery in May of this year. We haven't been out of it since.

We have had a list of wty items to be repaired and it's not completely taken care of yet but I've learned that it's going to take one year to get everything working the way we all wish things would work we we took delivery and handed over our hard earned money. This certainly doesn't seem to be unique to Winnie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I was in a new 08 Tour yesterday. Very nicely done. There was a couple of things I wasn't too keen on. One was it's got a rear radiator. The other is it has a straight front axle. I don't think those things would make me a Happy Camper with a price tag of $300k+........JM2CW !
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

For us basement air wouldn't make or break a deal either. But I do feel both basement air and roof top air have their own advantages and disadvantages. We have friends who missed some campouts with us because their basement air was on the fritz and it was too hot to go without and another set of friends who were able to camp in hot weather with us even though one of their two roof air conditioners was not working but they were able to get by with one. The basement air is quieter, roof air leaves more room for storage, basement air looks nicer, roof air is more efficient. There's pro's and con's for both, I think the rest of the rv especially the floor plan and chassis are more important to me when deciding which motorhomes I prefer.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

How come no one has metioned that the basement air includes a heat pump? We used ours last weekend and it heated the rig by it self during the day and automaticaly with the assist of the furnance during the night. Our older rigs had roof air with a little 5K watt heat strip. No where as strong as the heat pump.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We are rethinking the basement air thing. We loved it at first. No we have a little over 2 years in our 38J and have had considerable trouble with the system in the last year. In fact, it is in the shop now because of it while we have moved out to stay with relatives. Here are some things we have thought of:
1. Considerable loss of exterior storage. This is a pretty big deal for us as full timers in a gas chassis where storage is a premium.
2. Few dealers like to work on them. We haven't found any non Winnie dealers or service centers that will even look at them. The ones that will service them often don't know a lot about them and just throw parts at them.
3. More complicated than roof air.
4. When it breaks, you don't have air or heat (except for LP). With roof air, if one breaks, you have another.

To be fair, here are the positives:
1. A good bit quieter than roof air.
2. No water dripping off the roof in summer causing black streaks.
3. No potential for roof leaks around units as they get older.
4. Better looks without roof airs.
5. Seems to do a better job of saving power in low power situations (20-30 Amp) than multiple roof airs.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote